Friday, August 19, 2011

Tournament Report 8/19/11

So, to enjoy the last two weeks of the format before Twilight players start sacking everyone, I went to locals with my Scrap Worms.

However, before that, I played in a WoW TCG tournament with six other people. It's not very popular, but the game is fairly interesting.

I was using an Alliance Mage deck that I threw together last night. It's basically the Starter Deck with the Hero and most of the Allies switched out. I used some Dragonkin cards from War of the Elements like Bronze Guardian, Bronze Drake, and Azure Enforcer to help keep advantage and also to work with some of the other Arcane cards in my deck.

I lost to Erik in the first round. My deck depends on my Mage Abilities to kill bigger Allies, so as soon as he summoned that Red Dragonkin that makes all of his Allies Untargetable, I had lost. Not to mention that his Priest Hero kept healing itself when I tried to beat it down.

I won against Yugilo and his Death Knight deck in Round 2. I kept killing his Allies with my Abilities and poking for damage with my Bronze Dragonkin. I was able to keep up the damage and he couldn't kill all of my Allies.

In the last round, I played against my Round 5 opponent from this tournament. I opened with a subpar hand, but it was good enough to warrant keeping. Unfortunately, I didn't have outs to his swarm of Horde Allies, and I ended up losing before being able to set up my field.

I got a Generation Force pack for participating, and I ended up pulling an Elemental HERO Nova Master. Not bad, I suppose. I just need to focus my Mage deck a little more.

And, about an hour after that, the Yu-Gi-Oh tournament began.

Round 1: vs Worms

This was my Round 1 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: The game turned into a stalemate when he flipped Royal Oppression in response to my Black Rose Dragon play. I used Fiendish Chain to lock down his Number 39: Utopia, and we just sat there for a while. Over the multitude of turns, I forced him to use Royal Oppression until he was down to 600 LP. That was when I made a push with Scrap Chimera to take the duel.
-Duel 2: He Set quite a few back rows, but a pair of Royal Decrees locked him down and allowed me to take control with Scrap Dragon.

Round 2: vs Machina Geartown

This was my Round 4 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: It took a while for me to keep enough field presence for me to drop a Scrap Dragon and control the game with it. He couldn't deal with it, as he had already wasted all of his uses of Machina Fortress.
-Duel 2: He opened with two Machina Fortress and four cards that could be used to revive them... I didn't have any cards to remove them from play with, so I lost to the constant pressure.
-Duel 3: I opened with a Worm Xex play and a couple of back rows. He opened with Future Fusion... Luckily, I had D.D. Crow in hand to remove the Dekoichi he tried to revive with Black Salvo. He committed to the field, so I just let his Chimeratech Overdragon implode his field. With that advantage and a couple of Scrap Chimeras, I was able to take control of the game.

Round 3: vs Gravekeeper's

I had to play against Yusei JB, unfortunately. We agreed to a split, of course.

-Duel 1: He drew almost all Monsters, and I took his Gravekeeper's Spy with Mind Control, preventing him from getting its effect. I forced out his Solemn Warning by using the Spy for an Xyz Summon, then I made a Scrap Dragon to shut him out of the game.
-Duel 2: We both had mediocre openings from what I could tell. I could get over his Rai-Oh with Scrap Beast using Forbidden Lance, but he summoned another one. And, over a few turns, he was forced to use Solemn Judgment, then Warning, lowering his LP quite a bit. Once we were both low on cards, he topped Royal Tribute, revealing the Mind Control I just drew. After that, I drew a Scrapyard, letting me push for game. Mind Control really should be banned.

Round 4: vs Six Samurai

This was my Round 3 opponent from last weekend.

-Duel 1: I started with a Worm Xex play and a few back rows. He opened with Dojo, Elder and Kizan. I used Mystical Space Typhoon on the Dojo to prevent him from summoning a Kagemusha, but he had one in his hand anyways. Before Synchro Summoning Shi En, he Special Summoned Great Shogun Shien. He attacked Xex with Shi En, then made the mistake of attacking my Set Worm Yagan with Kizan, believing that it had the 300 ATK boost. So, I bounced his Shi En, and he had to attack Yagan with Shien. I then made another Worm Xex play and crashed the Worm Xex into Kizan. He then summoned Kagemusha and attacked with Shien, which I bounced with Yagan. Kagemusha hit me directly, but I just ran over it with Scrap Beast. And with that, he was top-decking. And, we all know how bad Samurai are at top-decking.
-Duel 2: He opened with Gateway, Kageki and Kagemusha. That gave him a couple of Kizans and a Grandmaster on the field and another Kageki to his hand. I was able to resolve a Royal Decree, but he was able to get over my Scrap Dragon with a Shi En equipped with Spirit of the Six Samurai, so I lost after taking so much damage.
-Duel 3: I opened with a Worm Xex play and Set four cards to the back row. Three of them were bluffs. And, when he played Gateway, again, I flipped the one card that wasn't a bluff: Dust Tornado. He summoned Kageki, Kagemusha, and Kizan, then attacked Worm Yagan with Kizan. Yagan died, but bounced the Kagemusha. He ended his turn, and I summoned Scrap Beast and flipped Mind Control to take Kizan. I Synchro Summoned Scrap Dragon with the Kizan, and ran through the Kageki. He couldn't deal with it, so I was able to control the duel with it.

Yugilo was actually one of the three undefeated players going into Round 4, but he got paired down and lost to my Round 1 opponent. So, that ended up being the last round, leaving me at 1st place. With that, I got store credit and split it with Yusei JB. He got some Generation Force packs, and I got myself an Ultimate Rare Leviair the Sea Dragon. I feel that it's a safe investment, so I ended up buying it even though it may be considered overpriced.

As for my Turbo Pack 6, I pulled a Rare Stardust Dragon, which is not bad. The Commons were bad though.

So yeah, my experience today is going to make me really miss this format. Sure, newbish players can Set their hand on the field and get some easy wins. But, skilled players can read those Set cards and bait them out or push through them accordingly. Sometimes there's just nothing that you can do, but I feel as though that would be amplified next format with Judgment Dragon, Kristya, and Black Luster Soldier running around. Maybe it won't be so bad, but we'll just have to see.

3 comments:

  1. WoW TCG is great, although I prefer Yu-Gi-Oh. Do you play core?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Saikon

    Core is the standard format with set rotations right? I'm pretty sure that's what we go with, but since the card shop we all bought our cards from only has the new Worldbreaker block, we don't really have to worry about that at the moment.

    Yeah, the WoW TCG is nice, but it seemed like the match-up influenced the winner quite significantly. Like against Erik, I couldn't target his Allies with my Abilities, so I lost. But against JB, I could kill off his swarms with my Abilities easily, so I won. And when Erik faced a Hunter deck with a card that prevented him from healing his Hero, he lost. I'll probably get into it more with a post on a later date, but it's something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lightgrunty, lol, you mean with me you kill my stuff with abulities. Anyway, good job on the yugioh. I wish I could have won, then it would be another feature match with us. Always looking forward to playing you. wish me luck today at 3js.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.