Sunday, June 19, 2011

Tournament Report 6/19/11

I went to locals with my completely revamped Scrap Worm deck. I hadn't tested it at all (too busy playing Okami), but I figured it would be okay.

Anyway, I met with Yugilo and Yusei JB, and Yugilo filmed a match between me and Yusei JB, who was using his own Agent Fairy variant, so be sure to check that out when it's uploaded.

Round 1: vs Zombie Plants

This was the first time I've played against this type of deck...

-Duel 1: He went first and used Lonefire to go into Tytannial. I frowned at the Bottomless Trap Hole in my hand... Anyway, I didn't draw any Scrap Tuners until it was too late. I could Synchro for Brionac, but I was already out of cards.
-Duel 2: Avenging Knight Parshath put a lot of pressure on him, and he wasn't able to get rid of it, as I used Effect Veiler on his Black Rose Dragon, which left two Fluff Tokens on the field to pierce.
-Duel 3: In the beginning of the duel, I beat him down with Worms.After a bunch of turns of draw-pass-draw-pass, I topped Nobleman of Crossout, threatening to banish (that's right, I used that term) his Set Spirit Reaper, but he used Solemn Judgment. I then decided to take it with Mind Control, search for Scrap Goblin with Scrapyard, and Synchro up to Brionac. I attacked to drop him to 1700 LP, and ended. He topped D.D. Crow with his only other cards being Spore and Plaguespreader Zombie. He scooped.

Round 2: vs Final Countdown

-Duel 1: He played Scapegoat. I summoned Avenging Knight Parshath, which killed him single-handedly. That's why it's there.
-Duel 2: Same deal, for the most part. I negated his Battle Fader with Solemn Warning to push for game.

Round 3: vs Frog Monarchs

This was my Round 1 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: He opened with two Genex Controllers, so he couldn't use Genex Undine's effect. When I pointed that out, he scooped, as he didn't have a Treeborn Frog in the Graveyard.
-Duel 2: I opened with Solemn Judgment and Warning, then drew into another Warning. So, I could play all recklessly and just negate all of his Monarch plays. Turns out that he only drew one Caius, so I won fairly easily.

Round 4: vs Gladiator Beast

-Duel 1: He opened with five back rows and a Set Monster. I just summoned something (maybe Worm Yagan) and attacked it, killing what turned out to be a Murmillo. He then flipped Proving Ground for Laquari, which attacked over my Monster, tagged for Darius to revive Murmillo, then fused for Essedarii. I made a Scrap Dragon play with Call of the Haunted, then a Scrap Chimera play to bait out all of his back rows. I went down to 1200 LP, then turned the duel around with a Scrap Chimera I got off of Scrapstorm.
-Duel 2: I controlled the duel from the start with Worm Xex and Yagan, and he couldn't get around them. I waited until I drew a Scrap Beast so that I could use Giant Trunade for a Scrap Dragon play. I was able to control the duel from there and won.

Round 5: vs Six Samurai

This was my Round 3 opponent from this tournament. Since we were the last two undefeated players and this was the finals, we agreed to split a box of Extreme Victory and play for the Hobby League card. Also, we didn't Side Deck.

-Duel 1: I opened with a Worm Xex play and a Set Solemn Warning. He activated Dojo, then summoned Mizuho and Kizan. He tried to destroy Yagan with Mizuho's effect, but I dropped Effect Veiler to save it. Dojo got him Kagemusha, which made Shi En to run over Xex. Yagan bounced it, though, and I summoned Scrap Beast to Synchro for Thought Ruler, which got hit by his only back row, Royal Oppression. It was okay, though, since it locked him up, too. I just waited until I could draw a Mystical Space Typhoon to Black Rose the field and go off with Scrap Chimera, which is just what happened.
-Duel 2: He opens with Kagemusha, Kizan, and Grandmaster. Then he Synchro Summoned Brionac and Set some back rows. A turn or so later, and I died to that Brionac, Grandmaster, another Kizan, and a Shi En. Woo, Double-Edged Sword Technique...
-Duel 3: I opened with no Scrap Tuners; that may be fine against some decks, but I need to Synchro to take down Six Samurai. He opened with Mizuho and Grandmaster, which was enough to kill me before I could make my Scrap Chimera play, since I drew like Scrap Chimera and two Scrapstorms, then topped Scrap Orthros, which made those cards live, but he killed me before I got my next turn.

So yeah, 4-1 and 2nd place isn't bad. As stated before, I got half of a box of Extreme Victory, which my previous opponent wanted for the Shien's Dojo. I pulled one and sold it to him, so that was nice. Also, the Turbo Pack 5 I got was pretty good, with Miracle Fusion, Spirit of the Six Samurai, and the Super Rare Snowman Eater. Snowman Eater used to be good, but I really don't need it anymore. So, it went into my trade binder...

So, despite the fact that I changed back to the Worm variant to take down Six Samurai more easily, it didn't work as well as I had hoped. I did draw Gale in the third duel, but it's just too slow. I might have to replace it with something. I'll look into it a little more and see what else would do well against Six Samurai that's worth Main Decking.

Also, I bought three of the Lost Sanctuary Structure Deck, because I've been wanting to get it since I saw the deck in the OCG. No Kristya is sad, but it's fine with me, since I was planning on making a build without it. Too bad, though, the deck is a lot better with Kristya...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.