Saturday, June 25, 2011

Tournament Report 6/25/11

Again, I went to locals with my Scrap Worms deck. I changed up the Side Deck a little bit, but it didn't really do anything since I didn't play against Six Samurai or Plants/Junk Doppel.

Anyway, there were only 17 people there. Quite a small tournament.

Round 1: vs Agent Fairies

This was my Round 1 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: Apparently he didn't draw any Monsters to protect himself with, so I beat him with five attacks from a Scrap Beast.
-Duel 2: He used the same Hyperion three separate times (itself, Light and Darkness Dragon, then Call of the Haunted) to get rid of all of my cards. After he was done with that, he tributed it for Tethys and proceeded to plus-2 off of his draws.
-Duel 3: I opened with no Scrap Tuners, but I just beat him down with Worm Xex for a while. I forced his Divine Punishment, then destroyed the field with Black Rose Dragon, and an attack from Scrap Chimera won the game.

Round 2: vs X-Sabers

This was my Round 3 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: I started with a Scrap Beast and two back rows. He Set X-Saber Pashuul and a few back rows. I attacked, which only flipped the Pashuul, and ended my turn. He dropped Fulhelmknight and two Faultrolls. He Synchro Summoned Scrap Dragon with one of the Faultrolls, then didn't activate its effect or the other Faultroll's effect for some reason. I played Giant Trunade and negated his Solemn Judgment with Seven Tools. I Special Summoned Cyber Dragon, Normal Summoned Scrap Chimera, and revived Scrap Beast. I Synchro Summoned Scrap Dragon, Set my Scrapstorm and destroyed it to destroy Faultroll. Cyber Dragon forced Fulhelmknight's negation, I crashed our Scrap Dragons, reviving Scrap Beast to run over Fulhelmknight. I Set a Dimensional Prison and Synchro Summoned Scrap Twin Dragon. He couldn't get over it, so I won in two turns.
-Duel 2: He sided into some weird Stun build. I was able to drop Scrap Twin Dragon on him, but his Reborn Tengu lived long enough to tribute for Caius to remove it. After he used D.D. Crow on my Scrap Beast, I died slowly to beatdown from Boggart Knight.
-Duel 3: I opened with Scrap Beast, Scrapstorm, and Seven Tools. He Special Summoned Cyber Dragon, Normal Summoned Reborn Tengu and attacked for a bunch. I let it go, not wanting to use the Scrapstorm (I had other Scrap Tuners in my hand...). I summoned Scrap Chimera, which died to Solemn Warning, as he had the Solemn Judgment for my Seven Tools. Scrap Goblin got back the Chimera a few turns later, but I only had 1000 LP left; if my Scrap Chimera play didn't go through, I would lose. And, sure enough, he had the other Solemn Warning to negate its summon, so I lost.

Round 3: vs Newbie Volcanics

This was my Round 2 opponent from this tournament. I drew so badly in one of the duels that the match actually ended up being 2-1... Well, I won, so whatever.

Round 4: vs Gladiator Beasts

This was my Round 4 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: He had control of the duel until he ran out of back rows. Book of Moon let Scrap Chimera run over his Essedarii, and afterwards I was able to Synchro Summon Scrap Archfiend to control the duel.
-Duel 2: I drew all-Monsters and was doing pretty well. But then once all of my Monsters died, I couldn't seem to draw any more, so I died to a Monster Reborned Gyzarus.
-Duel 3: I drew all-Monsters (which included no Scrap Tuners) plus a Solemn Warning, which didn't stop him from fusing for Gyzarus to kill my field, as he had Mystical Space Typhoon. Once I finally started drawing Scraps, he kept removing them with Retiari. Then, after his position was solidified (as in, three Gladiator Beasts on the field, one in hand, and four Traps Set), he fused for Heraklinos to lock me down. It didn't matter what I drew, as I didn't have any Tuners in the Graveyard, so I died on the next turn.

Eh, 2-2 is quite disappointing. I was just drawing so horribly all day. I'm not sure what else I can do to make my deck more consistent, save buying Pot of Duality... Well, it happens, I suppose. I'm still contemplating switching decks, but Scraps have just been everything I've been looking for in a deck, so I'm hesitant to switch.

Anyway, today wasn't completely horrible; I was finally able to pick up Silent Psychic Wizards. That's something. Anyway, I've got to get back to fixing my Duel Masters deck. So yeah, hopefully I'll be able to do better next time.

9 comments:

  1. Scrubbing never feels good :(

    better luck next time. you going to nats?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @LFN

    Nah, it's too far away for me. I'd really like to go, but there's no point going since I'd lose to T.G. Hyper Librarian shenanigans. Hopefully it'll be somewhere closer to my area next year or something.

    Anyways, good luck there if you decide to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mentioned scraps have what you look for in a deck multiple times, but what do you look for in a deck? =P

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Anonymous

    Monsters that have decent enough stats to function by themselves.

    Consistency (mainly provided by Scrapyard and Scrapstorm).

    A one-card out to basically anything (Scrap Chimera).

    Decent combos with combo pieces that can be used individually (this goes back to the first point).

    Flexibility (I can basically use whatever cards I want outside of the basic Scrap deck frame, such as the Worm engine).

    At least a decent amount of control (Scrap Dragon can accomplish this by just being on the field, but it sometimes needs back-up).


    The only thing that Scraps really lack is speed. I guess that they also have no inherently broken cards/plays, but I can't expect/don't really want that. But yeah, they rely too much on the Normal Summon, which is why Cyber Dragon is a main card in my build.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Try this build?

    http://shriek.twoday.net/stories/19479800/

    ReplyDelete
  6. @TingJun(:

    I don't have Pot of Duality, which I would assume is what kept that somewhat random deck consistent and somewhat coherent. Either way, it seems interesting. I'm just not sure that Scraps and T.G.'s would work out so well mixed together like that.

    Just like the build in the previous post, the main problem that I have with the deck is that it would seem to lose overwhelmingly to Six Samurai. I guess that it's nice that you can Special Summon T.G. Warwolf when your opponent sets up for a Synchro play, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I may go, depending on how ticket prices work out. Due to a couple factors (multiple friends going, connections, etc), it will still end up being cheaper than choosing to attend YCS Toronto in Sept...

    Yea it could get pretty sacky lol. It's either I play the best deck of the format in Plants, and grind out mirror matches, or go rogue and play a plant/samurai killer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How would you go about siding against doppleplant/junk synchron decks?

    besides the typical d.d. crow, transmigration, or crevice..?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Anonymous

    Well, Effect Veiler, if you don't Main Deck it. There's also Chain Disappearance, which is quite a popular choice.

    If you can afford to use it, Skill Drain wrecks them. Just make sure you can protect it from their back row destruction.

    Power Filter is good in general. Stops Dandylion, Spore, Glow-Up Bulb, Doppelwarrior, Junk Synchron, Debris Dragon, and whatever else I'm forgetting. I recommend this over Banisher of the Radiance and King Tiger Wanghu because Reborn Tengu is commonly used. If you're an OCG player, though, then Banisher and Wanghu are probably better.

    If you're a TCG player, then Maxx "C" is a great card to use against them. Chain it to Junk Synchron or Debris Dragon's effect, and you're either going to draw a bunch of cards or force them not to Synchro.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.