Sunday, June 12, 2011

Going back to the Worm Engine

Yesterday, at Regionals, it felt like I didn't have enough outs to Synchros like Shi En and Shooting Star Dragon.

I used to not have to deal with problems like that because I had Worm Yagan to bounce everything. I could Set it against Shi En and not care that I didn't have a Scrap Chimera in hand; I wouldn't have to force a Dark End Dragon play to get rid of Shooting Star Dragon.

So, I might go back to the Worm engine, taking out the Reborn Tengus, of course. There's a few disadvantages to that, though.

For one, Reborn Tengu is basically immune to Normal Traps. Bottomless Trap Hole hurts Worm Xex, but Reborn Tengu doesn't care. Same with Dimensional Prison, I suppose, but to a lesser extent. That would basically only apply to the Gladiator Beast match-up, where I'd want to run over a Retiari or something, but it's protected by a Mirror Force or Forbidden Lance or something. Otherwise, I wouldn't care all that much.

Also, three Reborn Tengus take up less space than a five-card Worm engine. Running Reborn Tengu allowed me to tech cards like Breaker the Magical Warrior, two Effect Veilers, and other such things. This is the main problem with switching back. I don't care about the Breaker so much, but I'd like to keep the Zephyros and Veiler(s).

Besides those two things, the Worms were much better. Better stats, additional effects, Light Attribute; it was just a perfect fit. So now I might have to go back to them to get around the new brokenness that Six Samurai has acquired.

The 50% opening turn Shi En has jumped to over 70% thanks to Elder of the Six Samurai and Shien's Dojo. I can't do the exact calculation, because of the variation caused by Dojo, United, and the other combos facilitated by Kizan and Grandmaster, but it's up there. So yeah, I might be forced to go back to using Worm Yagan as my out to Shi En.

4 comments:

  1. That's good and all but what will you do against tengu/junk/doppel/plants/drawwh0r3cr@p and friends?XD

    You do realize Librarian is around the corner!

    You want an outs to Shi En?

    Try Lava Golem!

    Although you will have a tough round 1!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @MaX

    Lava Golem, like Puppet Plant, won't help unless I draw it, and I've been having trouble drawing it. With Worm Yagan, I could also draw into Worm Xex, making it five cards in my deck, instead of up to three. And, as you implied, I would have my Worms in the first duel of the match.

    As for Junk Doppel with Hyper Librarian, I've been testing a little bit against my friend's Junk Doppel deck, and when he doesn't do the whole Junk Synchron/Level 1 Tuner/Doppelwarrior into Librarian/Formula Synchron play, it seems very manageable.

    Also, it seems as though he isn't able to make that play as often as I anticipated, so it might not be as bad as I thought. I mean, if it were that bad, then Junk Doppel would be like the only deck used in the OCG...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Junk Synchron/level 1 tuner/Doppelwarrior play IS the deck. And it is pretty easy to pull off/can be set up pretty often.

    Side deck the Tengus or the Worm engine? This way you have access to what you want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Anonymous

    Putting a whole engine in the Side Deck is kind of a waste. They accomplish the same goal, which is to put Level 4 non-Tuners on the field, so I don't want to waste space on both...

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.