Friday, June 3, 2011

Tournament Report 6/3/11

I went to the smaller card shop for the tournament. Mainly, it was to get a box of Duelist Pack Crow at an amazing price.

That's because I had an idea shortly before leaving for the tournament. I could use Blackwing - Zephyros the Elite the same way that it's used in Dragunities in my Scrap deck. While Zephyros allows for the Dragunity Synchros when Dux is bounced, it will allow for generic Synchros plus Dark End Dragon after bouncing Scrap Chimera, which are not normally accessible. In addition, it adds more utility to Foolish Burial, which I also decided to add to get to my Scrap Tuners faster.

The rest of the box was quite nice, too. Five Armed Wings, two Armor Masters, and two Jetstream (okay, so Jetstream is horrible, but getting three Ultras is nice). There's also the fact that Bora and Shura were reprinted as Rares and Delta Crow - Anti Reverse was reprinted as a Common. Very nice, indeed.

Round 1: vs Macro Monarchs

-Duel 1: An opening with Reborn Tengu allowed me to give up my Scrap Beast to destroy his Dimensional Fissure. Luckily, I had another Scrapyard to get the second Scrap Beast and get that into the Graveyard. Either way, he couldn't do much against my Scrap Dragon, so I won.
-Duel 2: I opened up with Mystical Space Typhoon and Royal Decree, allowing me to easily deal with any removal cards he might have drawn. However, he drew mostly Monarchs, letting me take control with a cool Zephyros play.

Round 2: vs X-Sabers

-Duel 1: I opened up poorly, with no Monsters at all. I used two Solemn Warnings to stop a Darksoul and a Boggart Knight. However, while he swarmed, I was able to hold it off with Fiendish Chain. I then locked down all Traps with Royal Decree, then bounced the Chain for Zephyros' effect. I summoned Scrap Beast to let me Synchro Summon Scrap Dragon, which ran over the Faultroll which had been locked down by the Chain. After a little more waiting and such, I ran him out of cards and took the duel. He was utterly shocked, since both of us thought that he had won. Fiendish Chain, combined with Zephyros and Giant Trunade, really saved me.
-Duel 2: I didn't draw very many Monsters, and died to Boggart Knight beatdown.
-Duel 3: The first duel took so long that this game went into time. I drew all-Monsters this time, and I couldn't swarm very effectively with my Scrap Dragons, so I was unable to deal enough damage on my final turn.

Round 3: vs Frog Monarchs

-Duel 1: I opened up with two Mystical Space Typhoons, Giant Trunade, and Royal Decree. How helpful... I burned them all on his Light and Darkness Dragon so I could search with Scrapyard. Either way, I died to a stream of Monarchs, as I didn't even have an out to one Monarch.
-Duel 2: He Set his Malevolent Catastrophe, which I prevented him from activating by not Setting any Traps. That locked out his Treeborn Frog, making it fairly easy to win.
-Duel 3: He was able to summon a Monarch right away, which removed my Scrap Beast from play. Raiza then sent Reborn Tengu back to my deck, and I died with an all-Monster hand...

Round 4: vs Junk Doppel

-Duel 1: He swarmed the field with a bunch of Special Summons, tuning Junk Synchron to Dandylion, Doppelwarrior, and Level Eater for Trishula, which got Warned. The Quickdraw Synchron that was left was tuned to the four Tokens, making Chevalier de Fleur, which beat me to death.
-Duel 2: Scrap Dragon control destroyed all of his hope.
-Duel 3: I locked him down under Scrap Dragon, Solemn Warning, D.D. Crow, and Effect Veiler. Quite evil, I know.

So yeah, X-2 is not so great. At least I wasn't paired up against any newbs, or whatever. The Turbo Pack 5 gave me another Puppet Plant, which is nice, I suppose.

The main lessons of the day are: Zephyros the Elite really deserves its name, Fiendish Chain is worth the hype, and Maxx "C" is not that great in Scraps. I'm going to remove it from my Side Deck, most likely. I want to fit in Crevice Into the Different Dimension or a third D.D. Crow, or something. Maybe Banisher of the Radiance. We'll see.

2 comments:

  1. How did Foolish Burial test, LG? I'm not a very big fan of cards that create minus plays, so yeah...

    Was the extra speed worth it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @MonarchVV

    I didn't like it before getting Zephyros. Just having Zephyros, which gains back the card lost by Foolish Burial, makes it completely worth it. It also dealt with the problem of not having access to my Scrap Tuners often enough.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.