Saturday, August 20, 2011

Nordic Beasts

I've finally gotten around to making a deck for the new format. Scraps are too slow and control-based to compete with Lightsworn when Heavy Storm is around, so I'll have to put them aside for now.

So, I'm going to look into some sort of Nordic Beast deck, like I was planning on doing a while ago.

After testing with Naturia Pineapple and a Plant engine on Dueling Network, it didn't really work out well. So, I dropped that to run a "pure" version. Well, as pure as it can be with Reborn Tengu and the mandatory drop-hand cards for the upcoming format.

And, since I'm looking for feedback, here's the deck list I was working on:

Monsters: (22)

Tragoedia x2
Gorz the Emissary of Darkness
Reborn Tengu x3
Guldfaxe of the Nordic Beasts x3 (the horse)
Super-Nimble Mega Hamster x3
Tanngnjostr of the Nordic Beasts x3 (the black goat)
Tanngrisnir of the Nordic Beasts (the white goat)
Sangan
Ryko, Lightsworn Hunter x2
Effect Veiler x3

Spells: (11)

Monster Reborn
Dark Hole
Heavy Storm
Mystical Space Typhoon x3
Book of Moon
Mind Control
Pot of Avarice
Pot of Duality x2

Traps: (7)

Torrential Tribute
Bottomless Trap Hole x2
Gleipnir, the Fetters of Fenrir x3
Trap Dustshoot

Extra Deck: (15)

Thor, Lord of the Aesir
Ally of Justice Decisive Armor (I've always wanted to run this)
Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
Scrap Dragon
Colossal Fighter
Stardust Dragon
Scrap Archfiend
Black Rose Dragon
Ancient Sacred Wyvern
Brionac, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
Ally of Justice Catastor
Number 39: Utopia
Wind-Up Zenmaister
Number 17: Leviathan Dragon
Leviair the Sea Dragon

What I like about this deck is how it can be largely reactive. You can basically adapt to whatever your opponent is doing. For instance, you'd like them to attack your Set Hamster, but if they try to be smart and decide not to, you can flip it, then summon a Level 4/Tuner for an Xyz/Synchro Summon.

Also, the fact that the majority of the Traps are Chainable is amazing. Gleipnir will force your opponent to think twice about blind Mystical Space Typhoons, and also allows you to safely Set multiple back rows despite Heavy Storm's existence.

What I'm not so sure about is running Tragoedia. I know that it's good for Synchros, Xyz, and protecting from OTK's, but it seems somewhat forced. It has the potential to go well with the deck in combination with Tanngnjostr (black goat), but I don't like it.

And, a card I'd like to find room for is Threatening Roar. It can allow me to safely Set Tanngnjostr (black goat) and flip it on the following turn for a Level 7 Synchro. Not to mention protecting from OTK's...

I haven't decided on the Side Deck, yet. I still want some input on the Main Deck, so the Side Deck will have to come later. So yeah, feel free to comment and such.

14 comments:

  1. Naturia plant engine? How does that work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous

    It wasn't a "Naturia plant engine", it was "Naturia Pineapple and a Plant engine". I just had a couple Naturia Pineapples and Super Solar Nutrients with the usual Plant engine (Dandylion, Spore, Glow-Up Bulb, and two Lonefire Blossoms).

    It didn't work that well, so I decided to drop it from the deck to make room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, well this is completely irrelevant, but could you help me with a Naturia Plant build? Lol, I'm the X- Saber guy that knows you from school that dueled you @3js a while back..and im trying to make one for new format that's effective september 1st..

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Anonymous

    I'm not sure that Naturia will be viable next format. Bamboo Shoot stops Heavy Storm and such, so you can have a back row, but it's just so easy to summon a Tour Guide and go into Leviathan Dragon or drop a Chaos Sorcerer. Not to mention that Effect Veiler shuts off Bamboo Shoot's effect.

    With all of the Special Summon craziness and no Royal Oppression, I don't see Bamboo Shoot as an effective card anymore.

    Is that what you had in mind, or am I completely off?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah I didn't know if I should be entirely dependent on bamboo shoot..though i don't know whether to go with pineapples, or cliffs (because of missing timing for synchros and tribute summons) or maybe even an exterio rush deck..

    On a side note, with lightsworns running, debunk would be a beautiful side card wouldn't it? For Honest, J.D., Effect Veiler..even Chaos Sorcerer and the newly unbanned Envoy card for twilights..

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anonymous

    Even though it can miss timing, Naturia Cliff is a great card for Xyz Summons. If the Xyz Monster leaves the field while Cliff is an Xyz Material, Cliff's effect can possibly activate. The Xyz Monster leaving the field would have to be the last thing to happen, otherwise Cliff would miss timing.

    Debunk doesn't hit Judgment Dragon, Chaos Sorcerer, and the like. They don't activate in the hand or in the Graveyard. Summoning them through their effects is an inherent Special Summon and does not use the Chain.

    Besides, they have Heavy Storm, three Mystical Space Typhoons, Lylas, Rykos, and even Celestias to destroy back rows before dropping boss Monsters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha but what would you go for, and why? I think pineapples would prevent me from running one or two veiler, plus Barkion is a dragon. Barkion would be removed by Miracle Synchro Fusion, though, freeing up pineapple..?? Miracle Synchro Fusions would be good targets for Heavy Storm I suppose. Also, do you have a Lonefire, Glow up, Spore you'd be willing to sell?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Anonymous

    Well, the most successful Naturia variants were focused around Bamboo Shoot. Unfortunately, that doesn't really work anymore. I'm not sure that Naturia is viable as a theme with the new ban list, so you might want to consider running something else.

    As for the cards you're looking for, I don't have a spare Glow-Up Bulb or Lonefire Blossom, but I've got plenty of Common Spores. You might just want to wait for the Super Rare ones from GENF:SE.

    ReplyDelete
  9. http://yugiohoi.blogspot.com/2011/05/nordic-leaves.html

    i have been playing Nordic plants since april and it is fantastic. You should try it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. -1 Mystical Space Typhoon
    +1 BLS
    ?

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ehchavo

    I took a look at your deck, and it seems really solid. But, how do you think it would do next format?

    Also, another reason why I cut the Plant engine was to make space in the Extra Deck for Xyz Monsters and such. With the Plant engine, I felt forced to run stuff like T.G. Hyper Librarian, Formula Synchron, and other cards that I would probably only summon like once every ten games.

    I do like the Mark of the Rose idea, and I think that it would be worth it, but I'm not sure how that would work in the upcoming format.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Relentify

    I don't think that four Darks are enough to reliably play BLS. I have to make my decks as consistent as possible because I don't have the best luck...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I only played one formula syncron and I never get librarian because I live in europe. Perhaps the deck gave me a lot of winings the whole format. I have been trying to change it for the next format, but I'm not to sure of what to do.

    I started just like you. But the deck without plants was horrible, was too slow. Power tool and the plant engine was totally neccessary.

    The problem is the lonefire and the pot of avarice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't have a real solution right now, I will put botanic girl and two call of the hunted. And I'm not too sure to keep playing the equip cards, I need to test it a lot in the next format.

    (botanic girl won't loss the timing if you use it for xyz summon)

    You should try it because steal BLS or JD and attack with it is awesome. :P

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.