Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Nordics with Plants

So, after hearing about an amazing idea to use a Plant engine with Equip Spells and Power Tool Dragon in a Nordic deck from Eh Chavo, I decided to test it out.

I did use two Mark of the Rose, reminding me of the decks that I used to use it in two and a half years ago. However, instead of using two D.D.R., I used only one copy and replaced the other with Megamorph. No joke. I felt that D.D.R. was unnecessary in a format where people wouldn't be playing Bottomless Trap Hole or Dimensional Prison that often. Maybe the prevalence of Chaos would balance that out, but I still have Leviair the Sea Dragon to do D.D.R.'s job...

Megamorph isn't really that bad. If your LP are higher, it's not hard to equip Megamorph to an opponent's Monster to halve its ATK. It's pretty versatile. I had half a mind to put in two Megamorphs, too, but Power Tool Dragon isn't the main focus of the deck. It's just another tool in the Extra Deck. And, it's nice to go into it, grab an Equip Spell, then summon a Level 1 Tuner and make a Scrap Dragon.

While you can draw subpar hands sometimes with the Plant engine (Dandylion, Lonefire Blossom, Spore, Glow-Up Bulb, and Botanical Girl), the extra explosiveness warrants it, I think. As I said before, the Level 1 Tuners can make good use of Power Tool Dragon. I could even run Life Stream Dragon...

I'm kind of disappointed that I'm not able to run Reborn Tengu due to space issues, but I could always side them in...

Speaking of which, I could easily side into a more Stun-eqsue variant by taking out the Plant engine and Equip Spells. That's already seven cards at least (I might want to keep Dandylion and Glow-Up Bulb in the deck, since they're good on their own). That would allow me to side crazily against decks like Twilight, Zombies, and such. Triple Light-Imprisoning Mirror, triple Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror, triple Soul Release, triple Reborn Tengu, triple Puppet Plant. Oh look, there's my Side Deck.

It probably won't be that crazy, since I might modify the deck after getting some cards like Pot of Duality and such. Again, I'm just looking for some input, since I have a Regional coming up on September 3rd, and I really want to run an innovative, format-wrecking deck.

14 comments:

  1. I'm happy you like the idea. Right now, I play 3 Reborn tengu (maybe you should see my actual decklist).

    Also, DDR is almost never dead, because you search spore with lonefire, make a syncro with him, then spore remove lonefire and you use ddr on lonefire (search for dandylion). In that way, you will almost put in the field the whole plant engine.

    Later you can use mark of the rose (remove lonefire) to steal a monster and the use DDR to summon lonefire and search for glow-up bulb.

    I really recommend ddr because "chain of disappearance" is a usual tool against the plant engine.

    Good luck in your regional

    ReplyDelete
  2. nuuu dont side tengu =( siding shld be for taking on matchups that actually wreck ur deck.

    in my opinion, either main it, or cast it aside. thats what playtesting is for ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Eh Chavo

    But you don't always draw the Lonefire Blossom, which is my problem with the Plant engine. Megamorph hasn't been very good, though, so I may end up changing it to a second D.D.R.

    The only real problem that I have with the deck is fitting in all of the cards that I want to use.

    @mike

    Think about it, though. Reborn Tengu would allow me to transition into a Stun build while also fighting against Stun decks. People will still hang on to T.G.'s, and will probably use Gladiator Beasts. Reborn Tengu is great against both of those decks, which can be hard to beat with Nordics.

    I really do want to Main Deck it, but there's just not much room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. seems like a lot of fun just like one of dubkdad1's deck ideas i like it alot and would like to see a decklist if u don't mind i guess maybe after the regional
    the meta most likely will be agents, zombies and twilight and some hero varients i guess
    better side for them and are urunning tourguides cuzthat is the new dark armed dragon in terms of price i saw one on ebay going fr 260 bucks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Anonymous

    I don't have the money to shell out for Tour Guides. If I did, I'd probably just play Junk Doppel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. anon here again i'm so glad i got my 3 tourguides at the start of extreme victory
    when everyone thought it was a sup par card
    i am so happy but somehow i don't have gold sarcs

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Eh Chavo

    I don't think that Gravekeeper's will be too much of a challenge. So are you sure that dropping all of the Flip Effect Monsters would allow the deck to work better?

    Also, like I said in the blog post, I was thinking about siding out the Plant engine easily. But if I run Card Troopers and drop the Flip Effect Monsters, then that won't be possible. So, I'm just not so sure about making the deck focus on the Plant engine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I focus the deck in the plant engine because the mark of the rose and power tool are great. I see you don't feel comfortable with that, but you should think about it.

    The flip engine is the slower part of the deck, also you can search the nordics with trap card. It will accomplish the same purporse but won't need to loss your normal summon on set a hamster.

    The side deck depends of what you think is gonna be the meta of your regional. I don't think that a stun side deck will be the best idea, because tengu and the nordic engine can easily put a lv7 and lv8 syncro on the field, so you should push for the win.

    Maybe we could test it on DN if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Eh Chavo

    It's not necessarily a "Stun" Side Deck. I'm just going to be using three of each Imprisoning Mirror, Soul Release, and other meta-hating cards. Theoretically, that would slow down my opponent enough for me to make use of the Flip Effect Monsters.

    Yes, they're slow, and I don't usually like Flip Effects, but Setting Hamster is much better than summoning Tengu when you're faced with a Tour Guide into Leviathan Dragon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. is the regional at anaheim convention center?

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Anonymous

    No, it's not. Either way, I couldn't say due to privacy issues.

    Also, the Regional ended up getting pushed back, so I have a little more time to prepare.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you have a deck List posted somewhere? or if not I understand why. Just asking because I'd like to try this out if at all possible, I mean I'm sure I can put a build together some where close to it just by refrencing your duel videos, and fit the rest with my choices but I'd like to get a solid start. But I really like the idea behind it and I've really enjoyed watching your videos. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @TheBrhino

    I haven't posted a deck list of the Plant version, but you could check out Eh Chavo's blog to see what his build looked like. He is the one who had the original idea for the Power Tool Dragon build, after all.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.