Sunday, August 28, 2011

Tournament Report 8/28/11

Forgive the lack of posts. I was planning on posting a tournament report two days ago, but there was no tournament.

Anyway, I went to the last tournament of the format today with my Scrap Worms deck. I hadn't even looked at it for like a week, since I was working on a deck for the new format.

There were only fifteen players there today. All but two of them were regulars.

Round 1: vs X-Sabers

I've seen this guy around before, and I've probably played against him before, but I don't really remember when.

-Duel 1: Double Bottomless Trap Hole removed all of my stuff. Not that I drew Scrap Chimera or anything...
-Duel 2: He drew a lackluster hand and I was able to capitalize. I didn't even draw Scrap Chimera; that's how bad his hand was.
-Duel 3: I Set my only Scrap Beast to try and avoid Bottomless Trap Hole. He had Nobleman of Crossout... It was okay, though, since he ran into a Torrential Tribute and I beat him down with a Scrap Chimera.

Round 2: vs Gravekeeper's

This was my Round 2 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: He went first and opened Royal Tribute, hitting my Scrap Beast and Worm Xex. He had two Recruiters to beat me down, and I couldn't stop them from searching when I finally did draw Monsters.
-Duel 2: I opened with Scrap Beast and a full back row. He Set four and a Spy. I drew and passed. He flipped Spy and I used Warning. He used Dark Hole, summoned a Spy, and attacked. I drew Worm Xex, summoned it after flipping Decree, and revived Worm Yagan. That ran through his Spy. Soon after, I drew a Closed Forest to solidify my position. He used Pot of Duality to get a Mystical Space Typhoon for my Decree, then topped another one soon afterwards to destroy Closed Forest. But by then, I was up a bunch of cards and he couldn't get through my Monsters.
-Duel 3: He Set a Monster and three back rows. I Set two back rows and a Scrap Beast. He flipped Spy and Special Summoned Descendant. Then he summoned Beast King Barbaros and attacked with all three. I drew for my turn and flipped MST to destroy a back row. He Chained Dark Bribe to protect it. I drew Giant Trunade and he flipped Solemn Judgment. Dust Tornado cleared the last back row and I summoned Scrap Chimera to run him through. He topped Pot of Duality, but it was no help.

Round 3: vs Tengu Zombies

-Duel 1: He opened with Reborn Tengu and a couple Set cards. I summoned Scrap Beast, and he tried to use Bottomless Trap Hole. Forbidden Lance protected my Beast. I played Mind Control to steal the Tengu, then overlaid the two Level 4's for Utopia, depriving him of his Tengu. He used Book of Moon on Utopia, but I was able to beat him down over a few turns to win.
-Duel 2: He opened with Reborn Tengu, again. I didn't draw any Monsters bigger than it, and you can't kill it with Spells/Traps, so I lost.
-Duel 3: Same as the second game... D.D. Crows and Effect Veilers don't stop Reborn Tengu...

Round 4: vs Tengu Zombies

This was my Round 5 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: He overextended into my Gorz. I summoned Scrap Dragon after that and destroyed his field. He topped Mind Control to destroy my field... I couldn't make up for that, and lost to a top-decked Tengu which facilitated the summoning of Brionac.
-Duel 2: I summoned Scrap Twin Dragon to keep bouncing his floaters. Unfortunately, he was still alive, and I summoned a Scrap Dragon on the following turn. After that, he tried to make a big play to destroy my field, but Maxx "C" gave me a bunch of draws (exactly seven before he decided to scoop).
-Duel 3: I lost to Reborn Tengu again. Not drawing the Worms or Scrap Chimera makes it hard to deal with Reborn Tengu and the multitude of floaters that Zombies use, so I lost.

So I went 2-2, which is not good... Not that that means much, since this is the last tournament of the format.

With that, I need to concentrate on a deck for the new format. I was thinking Nordics (which you would know if you've been reading the recent posts...), but I'm not sure how consistent they would be. For instance, during testing today, I drew a hand of two Guldfaxe (the horse), two Mark of the Rose, and an Effect Veiler. Needless to say, I lost that game hopelessly.

After seeing Zombies in play, it makes me want to run them again. Not necessarily a slow variant that focuses only on floaters, but a faster deck that uses maybe T.G.'s or something. I mean, Zombies were a major deck in the Lightsworn/Zombie format, so why wouldn't they be able to beat Lightsworn this time around?

9 comments:

  1. Due to lack of 2nd Mezuki? Maybe someone might make Zombies good again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well deck have that kind of hands sometimes... even though is more consistent than it looks.

    btw http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Power_Pickaxe

    this card could be a great side deck against lightsworm if you use nordic with power tool dragon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. agents!!!!!!!!!!!
    hyperion is better than dark armed

    ReplyDelete
  4. @bannified

    Even though Zombies lost a Mezuki, they gained a lot of support from Xyz (specifically the stupid TCG Xyz rulings).

    @Eh Chavo

    I'm still a bit skeptical. It feels as though there's no good response to a Tour Guide play, since they can make a 2500 ATK Leviathan Dragon and grab an Effect Veiler.

    And I considered Power Pickaxe, but it seems situational.

    @Anonymous

    I don't really want to run a mainstream deck. Although I could plausibly run it (the non-Tour Guide variant), I'm not so sure about it.

    Besides, if a run Agent Fairies, I wouldn't be able to use Light-Imprisoning Mirror...

    ReplyDelete
  5. TG Zombies are a great choice, I would heartily approve; Reinforce Truth has been a favourite card of mine for a while and a format with 3 MST just makes it even better. I mean 3 Reinforce Truth, 2 TG Striker, 2 X-Saber Pashul or something like that.

    Just like you said, speed in mind, as Zombies do have some problems in that department.

    ReplyDelete
  6. light imprisoning mirror suck in my opinion i would rather use fiendih chain imao

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Kamatari

    Ah, Reinforce Truth seems like a great idea. I'll try it out.

    The problem is that I'm trying to fit in some Plants (at least Mystic Tomato) and Monarchs (at least Caius), like how I used to play the deck before. A Set Mystic Tomato is a great opening against a Tour Guide play, at least in theory.

    @Anonymous

    Light-Imprisoning Mirror and Fiendish Chain have different purposes. You don't try and compare Skill Drain to Solemn Warning, do you?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dont think beyond Solemn Warning/Effect veiler there is a good opening plsy against Tour Guide, but I see what you mean. Reinforce Truth definitely supports Caius, so i dont really see why its a problem fitting those cards in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Kamatari

    The problem is deck space. Even if I cut down on the T.G. engine, there's still too many Monsters. I dropped the Mystic Tomatoes and cut Caius down to one. I'll have to see how it works but, I'm still fond of the Mystic Tomatoes and Monarchs...

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.