Saturday, August 13, 2011

Tournament Report 8/13/11

Luckily, I was able to make it to locals today. There were at least 30 players, and quite a few of them were regulars. There was a noticeable amount of new faces there, too.

As usual, I was running Scrap Worms.

Round 1: vs Stardust/Assault Mode

-Duel 1: I open with a lackluster starting hand going first, so I just Set Bottomless Trap Hole and ended. He played Mystical Space Typhoon, then Dragon Ravine, discarding Dragunity Phalanx to get Dux, summoning it to get Vajrayana to get Stardust Dragon. He Set a back row then attacked. I made a Scrapstorm play to bait out Stardust Dragon's effect, then tried to take it with Monster Reborn. He flipped Dark Bribe. Then, on his turn, he topped Assault Beast and used it to get Assault Mode Activate. Then, he used Ravine's effect to get another Dux to get another Stardust. He played Pot of Avarice, then Set his hand to his back row. On my turn, he flipped TWO copies of Assault Mode Activate. I could get through one Stardust Dragon/Assault Mode, but not two.
-Duel 2: He opens Ravine and Decree, but Effect Veiler shut down his Dux. So I could make a Worm play to keep control. He couldn't draw anything to save himself, and lost.
-Duel 3: He summoned a SD/AM on me in my first Draw Phase after making the whole "Ravine, discard Phalanx, get Dux" play. I had Veiler for the Dux, but he sent it to the Graveyard for Mystletainn to get around the Veiler. He then proceeded to compliment himself for having an out to Veiler, saying that he expected it... I figure out a way to get rid of the SD/AM using Solemn Warning, but he summons another one...

So yeah, I got sacked like crazy in Round 1... Not fun... Oh, I shouldn't forget to mention that this guy ended up going X-2. What a waste...

Round 2: vs Six Samurai

-Duel 1: He opened with Kageki and Kagemusha, then Special Summoned Great Shogun Shien before Synchro Summoning Shi En. He then proceeded to Set the rest of his hand to his back row. I dropped Gorz when he attacked on his next turn to block his swing for game. I was then able to push through a Shi En and a Grandmaster. He tops Smoke Signal, searching Spirit of the Six Samurai, letting him run over my Gorz and Token. I hadn't drawn any Scrap or Worm cards, so Gorz was all that was protecting me. So, when it died, I lost.
-Duel 2: He misplayed with his Gateway, and I was able to just control him with Worms, then kill the Gateway with Scrap Dragon.
-Duel 3: I was able to push a Royal Decree through Shi En with Forbidden Chalice, which shut down his Double-Edged Sword Technique. That let me summon Scrap Dragon safely to leave him without cards to play.

Round 3: Six Samurai

-Duel 1: He opened weird with Kageki, summoning Elder. He then dropped Great Shogun Shien and Set some back rows. I opened pretty well with Scrap Goblin, which got me a Scrap Chimera through Scrapstorm. The resulting Scrap Dragon (I had Cyber Dragon to go with the revived Goblin) let me destroy his whole field.
-Duel 2: I opened with a Maxx "C", which forced him to stop Special Summoning after getting his Shi En out. That didn't help, though, as I didn't draw an out to Shi En that he couldn't answer with his back row. Not to mention the Shien's Dojo and Double-Edged Sword Technique he had ready to swarm on the following turn.
-Duel 3: I opened with a Set Worm Yagan and two back rows. He played Giant Trunade, then Gateway, Kagemusha, and Kizan. He searched for another Kizan, then played it and a Grandmaster. He then searched for the last Kizan, but kept it in his hand. He attacked with one of the Kizans on the field, and Yagan bounced Kagemusha. The other two Monsters attacked me directly for 4200 damage, and he Set one card. I was able to make a Scrap Dragon play with Cyber Dragon and Scrap Goblin. I ran over Grandmaster and destroyed the Gateway along with my Book of Moon. I then Set Fiendish Chain and ended my turn. He summoned Hand of the Six Samurai and tried to kill my Dragon by tributing a Kizan, but Fiendish Chain took care of that. He was forced to end his turn, letting me destroy his back row by destroying my Fiendish Chain. I was able to clean up his field pretty easily from there, crashing a Scrap Beast into Hand, then killing the other Kizan with Scrap Dragon.

Round 4: vs Yusei Synchro

I was playing against Erik, who is often featured on Yugilo's channel. As such, Yugilo filmed the match, and it should be up on his channel within the next few days.

Round 5: vs Six Samurai

This was my Round 1 opponent from this tournament. I see him around pretty often, but we almost never play against each other.

-Duel 1: My starting hand was really weird (Scrap Chimera, Forbidden Chalice, two Forbidden Lances, and Scrapstorm). Luckily, he just opened with Kizan, Grandmaster, and two Set cards. So, I summoned Scrap Chimera and Set those four cards. He attacked with Grandmaster, but Lance took care of that. He then attacked with Kizan, and another Lance took care of that, too. He Set another card and ended his turn. I attacked with Scrap Chimera, and countered his Mirror Force with Scrapstorm. Apparently, I opened with the exact hand to counter his hand. Scrapstorm gave me Worm Xex off of the draw, and I summoned it to dump and revive Yagan. I Set a Fiendish Chain and ended my turn. From there, I was able to prevent Shi En from even hitting the field, letting me poke him to death with Worm Xex.
-Duel 2: Maxx "C" gave me a couple draws in response to his Asceticism play. I worked a little bit to bait out his back rows before summoning a Worm Xex to ruin his Shi En. I ended up losing my Worms after bouncing his Shi En, but I was able to flip Royal Decree to lock down his one Trap. From there, I was able to make a safe Scrap Dragon play to take control of the duel.

So yeah, I went 4-1 and got fifth place. Sadly, only the Top 4 get prizes, so oh well. The Turbo Pack 6 wasn't bad; Magical Dimension, Creature Swap, and Armory Arm.

I also got some WoW TCG cards. I got a War of the Elements Epic Collection and the new Mage Starter Deck. I just liked the Mage Abilities I saw, so I just decided to go with that. I might switch to something else, we'll see...

1 comment:

  1. wow, don't you love six-samurai decks? Good job anyway. The video will be up tonight and tomorrow. It depends on if I wake up in the middle of the night to finish uploading them. lol.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.