Saturday, July 24, 2010

Tournament Report 7/24/10

I haven't posted for a while, but there really hasn't been anything to post about. Nothing important happened in 5D's Episode 119. Team 5D's starts their race/duel against Team Taiyou, and of course Jack is getting owned by a bunch of Normal Monsters. Knowing him, he'll probably crash or explode or something...

So, I went to locals today with my new Vayu Turbo deck. I couldn't break my habit of siding a bunch of cards for each match-up, and it seems as though there's a reason for it: I barely ever draw sided cards. I Main Deck two D.D. Crows and side the third, and I only drew a D.D. Crow twice all day.

Anyways, on to the tournament report...

Round 1: vs X-Sabers

I thought that this guy was playing Six Samurai, since he usually plays them. I figured out that he was playing X-Sabers when...

-Duel 1: He Gold Sarc'd for Rescue Cat. I started with a Set Vayu, which generally means that my hand is bad. He didn't summon a Monster, so I just poked with Vayu once. I let him then kill Vayu with Airbellum so that I could run it over with Shura on my next turn. I Synchro Summoned Catastor with my free Vayu, but he had Brain Control... Needless to say, I lost from there.
-Duel 2: I forgot how I won.
-Duel 3: Summoner Monk into Rescue Cat into Airbellum and Darksoul into Faultroll into pwnage...

Round 2: vs X-Sabers

I knew that this guy was playing X-Sabers because I saw him misplay horribly in his Round 1 match.

-Duel 1: He kept Setting Monsters, and I was able to OTK him. It started with a Set Morphing Jar and a Dark Grepher. I drew for my turn: it was Vayu, which I dumped for Grepher's effect. I then Flip Summoned Morphing Jar and Special Summoned Armed Wing with Vayu's effect. I Tribute Summoned Gorz by tributing the Jar and Armed Wing. I removed a second Vayu and Armed Wing for Armor Master. I revived Plaguespreader Zombie to tune it to Grepher for Brionac. I used Miracle Dig on Plaguespreader, Vayu, and the Malicious I removed with Allure of Darkness. Plaguespreader/Malicious combo for Colossal Fighter put a total of 10700 damage on the field. I bounced his Set Monster with Brionac and attacked for game.
-Duel 2: Generic X-Saber pwnage killed me.
-Duel 3: I got him down to 4800, and he dropped Gorz on my Vayu. He ran over my Caius, but left Vayu on the field and his 800/800 Token in Attack Position. I Tribute Summoned Sirocco and ran over his token. He killed Sirocco with Gorz. I attempted to use Vayu's effect, but he used D.D. Crow on Sirocco. I dropped Fissure to destroy Gorz and attacked with Shura. He Normal Summoned Rai-Oh and killed Shura. I drew Reinforcement of the Army, passed, and took 1900 from Rai-Oh. I drew Armageddon Knight, the Warrior I would have searched with RotA. I summoned it, dumped Sirocco, and used Vayu's effect for Armed Wing. I attacked over Rai-Oh with Armed Wing and directly with Armageddon Knight for exactly game.

Round 3: vs Blackwings

This was my opponent from Round 3 of this tournament. I played against him a few other times, but I'm too lazy to go back and find the correct dates. Besides, I'm sure that you all don't care.

-Duel 1: He's a cool guy, so he let me know that he started with Breeze in his opening six cards. He summoned Shura, Set three back rows and passed. I passed, with Gorz in hand and not wanting to give him a free Blackwing through Shura's effect. He Normal Summoned Breeze and Special Summoned Gale. I dropped Gorz after Gale's attack, and he killed the token and halved Gorz's ATK/DEF. Then, he set a fourth back row. I activated Giant Trunade, but he negated it with Solemn Judgment. I Tribute Summoned Caius, removing his Shura, but he used Book of Moon on Caius. Then, he attacked over Caius with Breeze and directly with Gale. I Set Plaguespreader Zombie and he used Mind Control on it. With all Tuners, he had to give it back at the end of the turn. I tuned it to Necro Gardna, but he had Royal Oppression, paying down to 2200 LP. I activated Plaguespreader's effect three times to drop him to 600 LP and revive it. He killed it with the Vayu he summoned. I summoned Doomsday Horror and attacked over Vayu. He halved its ATK and killed me with Gale.
-Duel 2: I dropped Goyo Guardian after I wiped his back row with Heavy Storm. He had no outs, so he scooped.
-Duel 3: I drew Miracle Dig, Doomsday Horror, and Burial from a Different DImension in my starting hand. He Devastated my Deck with Deck Devastation Virus, and I didn't draw any outs.

Round 4: vs Gladiator Beasts

I was paired up.

-Duel 1: I started with Dark Grepher, dumping Plaguespreader and Necro Gardna. He Set Hoplomus and three back rows. I attacked Hoplomus, and he tagged for Murmillo. I Set three back rows (Solemn Judgment, Gold Sarcophagus, and Bottomless Trap Hole). He activated Cold Wave, summoned Samnite, and went into a Bestiari/Gyzarus play to destroy my back row. I drew Call of the Haunted with Brain Control and Heavy Storm in hand, so I ended my turn. He attacked with Gyzarus and tagged into Laquari and Hoplomus. I activated Heavy Storm to destroy his back row, then I sent the Miracle Dig I drew to the top of my deck for Plaguespreader Zombie. I used Brain Control on Hoplomus and Synchro Summoned Goyo Guardian. I attacked over Laquari and opted not to steal it. He Set Book of Moon, which he activated when I attacked next turn. He Normal Summoned Equeste and Special Summoned Test Tiger to go for Secutor. He attacked Goyo, taking 1600 damage, allowing him to Special Summon Murmillo, destroying Goyo, and Darius, reviving Laquari. He sent Laquari, Darius, and Secutor back to his deck for Heraklinos with no cards in hand. I drew into Shura, attacking over Murmillo, searching Vayu and Synchro Summoning Catastor. He Set the Equeste he drew and ended his turn. I revived Dark Grepher with Call of the Haunted so that I could dump Vayu for Sirocco. I Special Summoned Armed Wing and killed both of his Monsters. To add insult to injury, I activated Miracle Dig to return Plaguespreader, Vayu, and Necro Gardna to my Graveyard. He scooped after seeing his draw.
-Duel 2: He started with Consecrated Light and a Set Book of Moon. After hesitating, he Set his Solemn Judgment as well. I Set Dark Grepher, Solemn Judgment, Mirror Force, and Trap Stun. He summoned Murmillo and attacked without switching Consecrated Light to Defense Position, so I activated Mirror Force. He considered for a bit, then flipped Solemn Judgment. I negated his with my own, and we were both at 4000 LP. He Set Compulsory Evacuation Device and ended his turn. I Flip Summoned Dark Grepher and dumped Vayu for Sirocco. I Special Summoned Armed Wing and attacked with both. He used Book of Moon on Dark Grepher and Compulsory on Armed Wing, the latter of which I negated with Trap Stun. In Main Phase 2, I Normal Summoned Armageddon Knight, dumping Necro Gardna. He attempted to attack with Samnite, and I negated it with Necro Gardna. He scooped with that.

So, I went 2-2, but I left before I could see the final standings. I pulled Coelacanth, Koa'ki Meiru Drago, and Saber Slash out of the Turbo Pack 3, which is decent.

I didn't draw my Side Decked cards as often as I had hoped. Consecrated Light wasn't as bad to deal with as I thought. Siding three Fissures helped a lot, and my opponents won't draw Consecrated Light all that often.

There's still a lot I need to improve for this deck. I noticed that if I didn't draw Dark Grepher early enough, and if I couldn't keep it out for at least two turns, I normally wasn't able to pull off an OTK, or even win. I'll have to figure out a way to deal with that... Maybe that's why Vayu Turbo failed so badly way back when...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.