Monday, July 5, 2010

Tournament Report 7/5/10

So, like I said in my last post, my local card shop was having a tournament today. Obviously, I went, otherwise I wouldn't be writing a tournament report right now...

There were over 40 people there, which is a lot for locals. A good amount of them were good players, too. But, I was, uh, somewhat confident in my Genex Control deck... I even started maining two Divine Wraths and a Lava Golem to deal with Perfect Herald, Frog Monarchs, and Infernities. Lava Golem actually proved to be quite useful...

Round 1: vs X-Sabers

I had never played against this guy before, but I knew that he was at least a decent player.

-Duel 1: I had a good amount of control over the game with my Genex Monsters and random 1-for-1 removal. He went for the Cold Wave/Rescue Cat into Hyunlei combo on my one Set Trap. I didn't care, since I had Gale in hand. I assumed that he forgot XX-Saber Darksoul, since he didn't use it during his End Phase. So, I made my play, killing Hyunlei with Gale, but then he decided to search Emmersblade for Darksoul. It was pretty shifty, and it allowed him to take a card from my hand (Snowman Eater, sob sob) with Airbellum. I ended up losing that duel.
-Duel 2: I had control over the entire game, since he seemed to draw an all-Monster hand.
-Duel 3: I practically made the duel into a top-decking war. He kept drawing Airbellums, but I kept drawing Smashing Grounds. It was quite helpful, since he wasn't able to use Rescue Cat later. After many turns of Setting the back rows that we were drawing, I used Giant Trunade, then Synchro Summoned Flamvell Uruquizas. I was able to push through a bunch of damage, but he then summoned Fulhelmknight. I used Brain Control, and he tried to chain Gottoms' Emergency Call. I had Solemn Judgment to stop that, and I was able to push through more damage, getting him down to 500 LP. I tributed Fulhelmknight for Caius in an attempt to deal the last 1000 damage, but he had Torrential Tribute. It was okay, though, since he didn't have any other Monsters, and I was able to go for game with a Genex Controller.

Round 2: vs Frog Monarchs

-Duel 1: I used Caius on his first Treeborn Frog. Then, I used my two Divine Wraths on two of his Substitoads. But, he had a third Substitoad. Either way, it was too late for it to do much, and I was able to win.
-Duel 2: I didn't draw any of the removal cards that I sided in, and I sided in a lot... I did draw Pulling the Rug, but it didn't do much to stop the constant Monarchs/Light and Darkness Dragon.
-Duel 3: I dropped a Lava Golem on his side of the field. I kept Setting Monsters so as not to die, and he took a total of 6000 damage from the Lava Golem. He was finally able to get rid of it, but he was left with one card in hand. I summoned Rai-Oh and attacked, and he dropped Tragoedia. He topped Enemy Controller for game...

Round 3: vs Newbie Deck

I won...

Round 4: vs Gladiator Beasts

This is a good match-up for me. But, I stopped siding Royal Oppression because it doesn't do anything anymore...

-Duel 1: I drew badly, and he was able to Secutor into Heraklinos with a Set War Chariot.
-Duel 2: I forgot how I won.
-Duel 3: I drew badly again, and he kept drawing Gladiator Beasts and Traps to back them up...

Round 5: vs Infernities

-Duel 1: My starting hand was Dust Tornado, Bottomless Trap Hole, Solemn Judgment, Smashing Ground, Treeborn Frog, and Genex Controller. Pretty good, right? So I Set all of the Traps and the Frog. He summoned Dark Grepher and used its effect, then Set a couple of back rows. I Synchro Summoned Armory Arm and attacked over Grepher (I knew that Armory Arm would come in handy). Eventually, he tried to use Infernity Mirage, but I negated its summon with Solemn Judgment. Then, he tried to use Infernity Launcher, but I had my Dust Tornado ready for it. I won from there.
-Duel 2: He pulled off all of his stunts on the first turn of the duel and had two Infernity Barriers and a Solemn Judgment Set. Of course, I lost. The sad thing was that I had a good hand to counter his plays, so I might have won if I had gone first.
-Duel 3: He tried to go off with a Necromancer, and I didn't mind, since I knew that he couldn't pull off his loop. I forced him into top-decking mode, which isn't hard against Infernities, and I kept control of the duel. He had Gorz, but I had double Smashing Ground. And, I removed all of his Archfiends and Necromancers, so he couldn't make a comeback. So, I won.

Round 6: vs Dark Simorgh Synchro

This guy was my opponent from Round 5 of this tournament and Round 4 of this tournament. I knew that he was running Dark Simorgh, since I was sitting next to him in Round 4. And, since we're friends (I consider us friends, at least...), we just dueled for fun, without siding.

-Duel 1: I died to his Goyo Guardian after not drawing any way to deal with it.
-Duel 2: I forgot how I won.
-Duel 3: He set Necro Gardna, which I attacked with Genex Undine after dumping Treeborn Frog. I Set Bottomless Trap Hole before ending my turn. He used Mystical Space Typhoon on my Trap, then summoned Armageddon Knight, dumping Plaguespreader Zombie. He attacked over Genex Undine, and Set a back row. I revived Treeborn Frog, then tributed it for Caius, removing his Necro Gardna. Ironically, he used Phoenix Wing Wind Blast on my Caius, giving me the chance to use it again. From there, it was very back and forth, but I had answers to all of his plays, thanks to Dragon Ice. He dropped Dark Creator to revive Dark Simorgh, but I had double Smashing Ground. After that, he summoned Diamond Dude in an attempt to get a free Spell; he hit Emergency Teleport, which could have helped him. I won on the next turn, though, going for exactly game with Cyber Dragon and Gale.

So, I went 4-2, getting 10th place, which is decent, I suppose. I bought a Gold Series 3, though, and I pulled a Gold Stardust Dragon and Gale. I wanted to have one Gold Stardust, and a bunch of people were drooling over the Gale.

Lava Golem was a waste, since there were no Herald decks there, at all. I'll probably take them out, and I might just go back to using Royal Oppression. Then again, I might not use the deck anymore...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.