Sunday, July 11, 2010

Tournament Report 7/11/10

Even though I didn't want to, I used my Genex Control deck today. I was working on a new deck, but it isn't finished yet, so I had to use my Genex...

I was looking for some Blackwing Synchros from Gold Series 3, but they didn't have any at the card shop.

Round 1: vs X-Sabers

This was the same guy who I beat when he was playing Infernities last week. He dropped a XX-Saber Darksoul while he was shuffling, so I knew what he was playing before we started. The odd thing is that he didn't ever draw or search Darksoul during the match.

-Duel 1: I was able to stall for a long time behind Treeborn Frog, Battle Fader, and Dragon Ice. But, his two Faultrolls were able to rip though my defenses.
-Duel 2: I was in control since the beginning of the game. On his last turn, he used Brain Control to steal my Goyo Guardian to steal back his Airbellum and Synchro for XX-Saber Gottoms. Unfortunately for him, that left a Dragon Ice and Treeborn Frog on my field, and I tuned them with Genex Controller for Mist Wurm for game.
-Duel 3: I was in control for most of the game, and I kept attacking with Rai-Oh for a little damage each turn. But, he was able to pull off a Gottoms' Emergency Call and double Faultroll, which meant that I died.

Losing the first round is very sad, since it means that all hope of winning the tournament is also lost. I still had a chance at a Hobby League card, even though I didn't need any, so I continued on.

Round 2: vs Morphtronics

I knew that this kid was running Morphtronics because I was sitting next to him in Round 1, and also because he told me before the tournament. I basically just destroyed him in the first two duels, so I don't think that it's worth posting much about...

Round 3: vs Dimensional Eatos

Apparently people still run this deck...

-Duel 1: Starting with Giant Trunade, Mystical Space Typhoon, and Dust Tornado was quite helpful. Cyber Dragon and Smashing Ground did well to mess with his plans. He was able to drop an Eatos after using Soul Release, but he opted not to attack my Cyber Dragon, thinking that I had Magic Cylinder (he had 2500 LP left). So, on my turn, I tributed Cyber Dragon for Enemy Controller to steal Eatos and attack him for game.
-Duel 2: He misplayed by not activating Skill Drain before he attacked my set Snowman Eater. I had used two Legendary Jujitsu Masters, so he should have expected something like that. Because of that, my Snowman lived and his Barbaros died. After that, I Synchro Summoned Goyo Guardian to push some damage through his D.D. Survivor, but he had Dimensional Fissure up, so he kept getting it back. It was okay, though, since he was at 2600 LP, which allowed me to kill his D.D. Survivor with Spirit Reaper then attack with Goyo Guardian for game.

Round 4: vs Lightsworn

Even though there were over 30 people at locals today, this was to be the last round. There was supposed to be some other event going on for another TCG or something after the Yu-Gi-Oh tournament was over.

Oh, and this was the guy I beat in the finals of this tournament.

-Duel 1: I couldn't get through his Aurkus, which was backed by Honest. I ended up trying to deck him out, but I died to Judgment Dragon before that could happen.
-Duel 2: I drew a terrible hand of all Monsters. I couldn't prevent his Celestia from killing two of them, and I didn't draw any Spells/Traps that could help. So, I died to Judgment Dragon and Honest.

Sadly, I went 2-2, which means that I didn't win anything.

I suppose that my Genex deck is just too slow to deal with the current meta, which is why I'm going to try something new next week, if I can get the cards for it.

1 comment:

  1. Ouch dude, losing first must feel really sucky and my buddy pedro also had an x-2 record so he didn't get anything decent.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.