Saturday, July 3, 2010

Genex

I wasn't able to go to locals today, but I might be able to go on Monday (they're having this special Independence Day tournament or something...) As such, I need to decide on what deck to run.

Normally, I'd take my Genex Control deck, but something has occurred to me: I'm playing them like Gadgets. I hate Gadgets, since they're just effectless floaters.

The Genex are supposed to be more than that. They actually have effects, they have Tuners and Synchros, they're a lot more versatile. But, I'm just playing them like this:

Summon Undine, dump a Water, search Controller. Smashing Ground. Attack. Dimensional Prison. Attack again. Bottomless Trap Hole. Attack again.

It works, but it relies too much on Spells and Traps. For some reason, I didn't mind all that much. I got to use cards I like, like Rai-Oh, Cyber Dragon, Caius, Dragon Ice, and Genex Controller, but it was practically like playing anti-meta Gadgets. (I like how I used like like three times.)

I also noted that each card could stand alone in the deck, practically. That normally means that there's not much synergy, and there isn't. The closest thing to a combo is Cyber Dragon + Genex Controller. That's not bad, but it just means that the deck can be seen as incoherent. I even tried putting XX-Saber Fulhelmknights in there, to see if they would work. The sad thing is that they do...

It's just that I like Monsters to play a bigger role in the strategy. I really like the deck a lot, and it's been working out so well, but it kind of dies to faster decks (Infernities and Hopeless Dragon). Moreover, it relies on people not knowing how the deck works. If I were to play Gadgets, I'm pretty sure that people would use Dimensional Prisons on them. But, with Genex, people don't think that it's worth it to use Traps on them.

So, I'm thinking about using a different deck until the new Genex Monsters come out in Hidden Arsenal 2. In actuality, there only two decent ones in there, Doctor and Turbine. Combined with Searcher, I could make a decent Genex deck, though there is no real benefit from using Genex cards in the TCG. I could just play Gravekeeper's and still have all of the same combos...

...

That means...that in reality...playing Genex just messes with people...it doesn't really have any other meaning... Why did I have to just realize that Genex aren't as good as I thought they were...?

2 comments:

  1. You could play them like monarchs? Undine, dump treeborn, tribute lots?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about it, and that would be playing them like Frog Monarchs. It's a decent strategy, but I don't like the idea of having more than 10 Monsters that need tributes.

    Besides, in this meta, there's so much Graveyard-hate in Main Decked D.D. Crows and Side Decked Crevice Into a Different Dimension.

    I could still run a more Monarch-centric build, but I would need to not rely on Treeborn Frog. Maybe if I could find a way to abuse Blastfan, I could run a Monarch build with Dark Simorgh...

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.