Saturday, July 7, 2012

Tournament Report 7/7/12

As usual, I went to locals today. When I got there, Yugilo and my Round 2 opponent from this tournament were playing Kaijudo. The latter was able to get a set of Kaijudo Battle Decks, so that was cool. He was running Water/Nature/Darkness, which is pretty popular, apparently. After they finished their duel, I played a match against him and won 2-0. A deck built from three Battle Decks is just too powerful. The playing field will be more even once the booster packs come out. Hopefully The Dojo Edition will have Thunder Cruisers and Jade Monitors...

Anyways, there were about 31 players there today. I went with my Nordic Diva deck after making a few changes to the deck to help against the Six Samurai match-up.

Round 1: vs Gustos

This was my Round 3 opponent from this tournament. Like last time, he just kept drawing his combos.

-Duel 1: He dropped Naturia Beast, and after I killed it with Ryko, he used Monster Reborn on it. I Set another Ryko, but he used Creature Swap to take it away from me, and the rest of my cards were Spells, so I lost.
-Duel 2: I swarmed with Guldfaxe and Reborn Tengu to make Stardust Dragon and grab my second Reborn Tengu. I was avoiding Creature Swap, but then he used Emergency Teleport to Special Summon Psychic Jumper and steal my Stardust Dragon with it. I still had a Deep Sea Diva, so I was able to use it and my Super-Nimble Mega Hamster to make Brionac and bounce his field to go for game.
-Duel 3: I dropped Thought Ruler Archfiend against his Naturia Barkion. He tried to use Solemn Warning, which I negated with Solemn Judgment. He thought that he could negate Judgment with Barkion, but his friends told him otherwise, and I ran over his Barkion to gain back some LP. On the following turn, I used Deep Sea Diva to make Gachi Gachi Gantetsu to solidify my position. Unfortunately, he drew Creature Swap, then Emergency Teleport, so that he could make a Psychic Jumper play and steal my whole field. I still had a bunch of cards left, so I was able to make Scrap Dragon and Ally of Justice Catastor to clear out his field and win.

XOO

Round 2: Six Samurai

There were so many Six Samurai players there today. It's all the Structure Deck's fault... In fact, it was very easy to tell who made the deck from the Structure Deck and who had played Six Samurai beforehand. This guy made it from the Structure Deck.

-Duel 1: He swarmed with Shi En and Leviathan Dragon, but I opened up with a great hand to counter his field. I was able to make Scrap Dragon and Utopia to rip through his field and control the game from there.
-Duel 2: He drew two Rivalry of Warlords so that after I destroyed the first with Lost Blue Breaker, I was still locked down. From there, he swarmed with Shi En and Kizan, and without access to my Synchros, I couldn't do anything. Perhaps I should consider using Voltic Bicorn...
-Duel 3: He didn't open with Shi En, so I was able to just play around what he had and win pretty easily. Once he did get out the Shi En, I was able to kill it with Thor. He bounced Thor with Enishi, which was a slight hindrance, but I had Reborn Tengu in my hand to crash with his Enishi. He topped and Set Kagemusha, and I topped Effect Veiler, letting me me Catastor to keep running over his Monsters. Without Shi En, he couldn't kill the Catastor, so I won.

OXO

Round 3: vs Chaos Dragons

This was my Round 3 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: He went first and opened with Future Fusion. I was OTK'd soon after.
-Duel 2: I made a Tanngnjostr (black goat)/Deep Sea Diva play, considering whether I should Synchro Summon T.G. Hyper Librarian and Scrap Archfiend or Thor (and leave the Diva out). I went with the latter, making a Thor to run over his Card Trooper and deal massive damage. I then Set three back rows (Solemn Judgment, Chaos Trap Hole, and Soul Taker) with Effect Veiler in hand. He played Dark Armed Dragon; Chaos Trap Hole. Next, he tried Chaos Sorcerer; Effect Veiler. Lastly, he played Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning; Solemn Judgment. He had no more outs to Thor, and it led me to victory.
-Duel 3: We both opened with pretty bad hands, but his hand was noticeably worse than mine. He only milled one Dark, and when he tried to Special Summon Darkflare Dragon, I banished it with Chaos Trap Hole. A little while after that, I was able to swarm with Scrap Dragon, Reborn Tengu, and Gachi Gachi Gantetsu and push for game.

XOO

Round 4: vs Wind-Ups

This was my Round 2 opponent from this tournament. He was using Inzektors for a while, but he switched back to Wind-Ups after realizing that Inzektors aren't very consistent.

-Duel 1: He went first and opened with Tour Guide and Wind-Up Shark. He looped me, leaving me with Sangan and Mystical Space Typhoon, while he had two cards in hand, two back rows, and Leviathan Dragon. I had come back from this situation against him before, but this time, he was able to finish me off by bouncing the Super-Nimble Mega Hamster I Set after I had searched it with Sangan by using Compulsory Evacuation Device to go for game.
-Duel 2: I went first and had a hand of Heavy Storm, MST, Dark Hole, Tanngrisnir (white goat), Ryko, and Hamster. I Set the Hamster, MST, and Dark Hole. He played MST on my MST, then made the usual Magician/Shark play to Hunter loop the rest of my hand. After that, he made Tiras, Keeper of Genesis, and I couldn't do anything about it.

XX

Round 5: vs ...

I was paired up against AquaBass. Since this was the last round and I had better tie-breakers than him, we decided that we would split and that he would give me the win. After making that decision, we made the decision to play Kaijudo. He was running Water/Nature/Darkness (like everyone else, including me, LOL), but his deck was made from only one set of Battle Decks. He put up a good fight, breaking all of my Shields, then threatening to finish me off with an unblockable Roaming Bloodmane. That forced me to go for broke and break the rest of his Shields (three, I think) and finish him off. He had already used his Root Trap and Terror Pit, so he couldn't stop my Zagaan from making the final attack. I think that this game was a good example of how you don't always have to play defensively to win with a control deck. Sometimes, you just have to attack with everything and try to win before you die. I don't think that I worded that very well, but whatever.

So yeah, if we count that Kaijudo duel, then I went 4-1 and got 4th place. Thankfully, there were enough people there for prizing for Top 4, so AquaBass and I each got a few dollars of store credit. He used his on some sleeves, and I used mine on three Battle Packs. AquaBass chipped in a dollar for the Battle Packs, so I gave him the Gem-Knight Pearl that I pulled. I also pulled a Starfoil Ryko and a Starfoil Gorz, so those were some pretty good packs. And the Turbo Pack 8 gave me another Rare Gozen Match, so that was nice.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure that a lot of the regulars that I hang out with will also be going to locals tomorrow, so tomorrow should be another good day for Kaijudo, as well. Yeah, at this point in the format, I'm more excited for Kaijudo than Yu-Gi-Oh. I'm actually quite excited to see what's in The Dojo Edition booster packs and starter deck. Like I said before, I want all of the awesome Light Blockers. But, with so many good cards at our disposal, it'll be hard to figure out a good deck to run. I want to run Water, Light, and Darkness for sure, but I could continue to splash in Nature for mana acceleration. I guess it depends on what Light cards we get.

Either way, I'll be at locals tomorrow. So yeah...

3 comments:

  1. How you remember which opponent you played and from which tournament , is Beyond me and fazes me till today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, half the time I play against regulars, so I can just look through the last month or two of tournament reports and find one with them in it. A lot of them don't switch decks either, so that makes it easy.

      But yeah, I guess I have a pretty good memory. One of my friends told me that I should play Oracle Think Tank in Vanguard, but I'd rather not get into Vanguard at all, LOL.

      Delete
    2. Seriously, you have a really good memory.........

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.