Monday, July 23, 2012

Tournament Report 7/22/12

As usual, I went to locals, again.  I didn't really have any time to change my Nordic Diva deck since yesterday, so I kept it the same.

There were about 26 people there today; mostly regulars, but also quite a few others.  Notably, there were no little children there today.

Round 1: vs Dragons

This was my Round 1 opponent from this tournament.  Again, he was running a weird Dragon build.

-Duel 1: I drew a really awkward hand of mostly Monsters.  We started by just Setting Monsters and back rows and passing.  I decided to summon Deep Sea Diva to grab Lost Blue Breaker and destroy his Set Divine Wrath.  I Synchro Summoned Catastor using the Diva and a Tanngrisnir (white goat), but he killed it when I tried to attack his Horus LV6 by using another Divine Wrath.  It started going downhill from there, since I didn't draw anything to deal with anything.  I was able to survive for a few turns against his Horus LV8, Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon, and Lightpulsar Dragon, but when I was about to summon my second Deep Sea Diva to make Gachi Gachi Gantetsu, I drew the third Diva.  Yeah, that was pretty bad, so I wasn't able to survive any longer.
-Duel 2: I made a Scrap Archfiend to beat him down.  He kept using Dragon Ravine, which he sided in, to dump Dragons, including REDMD and Lightpulsar Dragon.  He revived Lightpulsar Dragon with Call of the Haunted to protect himself, but I had a Soul Taker to deal with it.  After that, he had nothing that could deal with my Scrap Archfiend.
-Duel 3: He opened with Dragon Ravine to discard REDMD to dump Lightpulsar Dragon, then a couple Set cards.  I opened with a Set Hamster and a couple back rows.  He used the Ravine again to discard Horus LV6 to dump Prime Material Dragon, then summoned Divine Dragon Apocralyph to discard another card to grab back the REDMD.  He Special Summoned the REDMD by banishing Apocralyph, then revived Prime Material Dragon with its effect.  He attacked my Hamster, letting me get my Ryko, then attacked my Ryko, letting me destroy one of his back rows.  I Set a Monster and ended.  He revived Lightpulsar Dragon with REDMD's effect, then attacked with Prime Material Dragon.  I flipped my Morphing Jar #2, sending all three of his Dragons back to his deck.  He revealed Jinzo, Horus LV6, and Exploder Dragon as the three Monsters for Morphing Jar #2's effect, then Special Summoned the Exploder Dragon in face-down Defense Position before sending the other cards to the Graveyard.  He ended, shocked at what had happened.  I Normal Summoned Spirit Reaper, then flipped my bluffed Mind Control, taking his Exploder Dragon.  I attacked with the Reaper to rip a card out of his hand, then overlaid my Reaper and his Exploder Dragon for Leviathan Dragon.  I detached my Spirit Reaper to boost its ATK, then ended.  He Normal Summoned Phantom of Chaos, then discarded his last card to send Dark Armed Dragon to the Graveyard with Dragon Ravine.  He banished the Dark Armed to copy its effect, then banished three Darks from his Graveyard to destroy my whole field.  I Normal Summoned Tanngnjostr (black goat) to run over his Phantom and ended.  He drew and ended.  I switched my goat to Defense Position and Set a back row.  He Normal Summoned another Apocralyph, then banished it to summon REDMD.  I flipped Book of Moon to turn it face-down and prevent him from using its effect.  On my turn, I switched my Tanngnjostr back to Attack Position to trigger its effect and Special Summon Guldfaxe.  I Synchro Summoned Scrap Archfiend and ran over his REDMD.  He drew and Set a back row.  From there, I beat him down with Scrap Archfiend; his Dark Bribe was of no help.

XOO

Round 2: vs Inzektors

This was my Round 3 opponent from this tournament.  We seem to face each other a lot.

-Duel 1: I opened with a Pot of Duality to grab a Mystical Space Typhoon, then Set Super-Nimble Mega Hamster.  He summoned Inzektor Dragonfly.  When he equipped Inzektor Hornet to it, I negated Dragonfly's effect with Effect Veiler.  He Set two back rows and ended.  I played MST on his Call of the Haunted, then Flip Summoned my Hamster.  I Special Summoned Tanngrisnir (white goat) with its effect, since I had both of my Rykos in my hand.  It didn't matter much, though, since when I Normal Summoned Guldfaxe, he flipped Torrential Tribute.  On his turn, he used Centipede, Hornet, and Gigamantis to do the crazy loop OTK thing, and I died.
-Duel 2: I opened with a Set Ryko and two back rows.  He summoned Tour Guide to Special Summon Sangan in Defense Position and ended.  Fear of Hamsters is pretty powerful, eh?  I Normal Summoned Reborn Tengu and ran over his Tour Guide.  He summoned another Tour Guide to get the third Tour Guide, then overlaid for Wind-Up Zenmaines in Defense Position.  I Flip Summoned Ryko, destroying his Sangan, letting him search Inzektor Hornet.  I summoned Guldfaxe and tuned all of my Monsters to Synchro Summon Thor and grab the second Tengu.  I used Thor's effect, but he Chained Effect Veiler.  He summoned Centipede and equipped Hornet, but I negated with Effect Veiler.  He then switched his Zenmaines to Attack Position and attacked my Tengu.  That let him detach an Xyz Material, then destroy my Thor in the End Phase.  However, he forgot about Thor's revival effect, so I banished the Guldfaxe and revived Thor to deal 800 damage.  On my turn, I used Thor's effect to negate Zenmaines' effect, then ran over both of his Monsters with both of mine.  I was threatening game on my next turn, and there was nothing he could do about it.
-Duel 3: He went first with Dragonfly and Ladybug to make Tiras, then detached one of Tiras' Xyz Materials and ended.  I opened with a Set Ryko and two back rows.  He played Heavy Storm, then Dimensional Fissure.  He summoned the Dragonfly he searched to do another crazy loop combo and he ended up with Photon Strike Bounzer and Maestroke, so I died quite quickly.  It didn't help that the rest of my hand was two Divas and a Lost Blue Breaker...

XOX

Round 3: vs Chaos Dragons

This was my Round 1 opponent from this tournament.  He would've had a better chance if he had stuck with Dino Rabbit.

-Duel 1: He wasted a lot of his cards, and I was able to hit him three times with Spirit Reaper (he chose not to banish it with a Chaos Sorcerer...), so I was able to drop Thor using that Spirit Reaper, Guldfaxe, and Sangan without fear of a swarm of boss Monsters.  It also helped that Sangan let me search Effect Veiler.  He scooped soon afterwards.
-Duel 2: He opened with Card Trooper, milling three, and a back row.  I summoned Deep Sea Diva to Special Summon Lost Blue Breaker.  Blue Breaker ran over his Card Trooper, then Diva attacked directly.  After that, I used Blue Breaker's effect to destroy his Set... Torrential Tribute?  I asked him why he didn't activate it on the summon of my Blue Breaker, and he said that he wouldn't waste it on such weak Monsters.  No foresight, I guess.  Anyways, he ran over my Diva with a Lyla, and that let me Special Summon Tanngnjostr (black goat) from my hand.  On my turn, I triggered its effect to Special Summon Guldfaxe and Synchro Summoned Scrap Archfiend to kill his Lyla.  He drew Future Fusion soon afterwards, but misplayed it.  He sent two REDMD, Lightpulsar Dragon, and two Darkflare Dragons to the Graveyard; he probably should have switched one of the REDMD with an Eclipse Wyvern, but he didn't really think it through.  He Set a Monster and ended.  I attacked, letting his Ryko kill my Scrap Archfiend, then Set a Hamster.  He summoned Jain and attacked, letting me Special Summon a Tanngnjostr (black goat) with Hamster's effect.  He Set a card and ended.  I Flip Summoned Tanngnjostr, grabbing Guldfaxe, which let me make Black Rose Dragon.  That destroyed his Jain, Future Fusion, and Set Charge of the Light Brigade.  I was able to use Monster Reborn on his REDMD and revive that Black Rose Dragon soon afterwards, and he had no outs.

OO

Round 4: vs Chain Burn

-Duel 1: His Ojama Trio locked up my field, so I couldn't really do anything.  Since I wasn't able to swarm and kill him, I died slowly to his burn cards.
-Duel 2: He misplayed his Battle Fader and Gorz, letting me capitalize with Prohibition on his Swift Scarecrow.  I was able to OTK him without interference soon afterwards.
-Duel 3: This duel went into time.  He's playing Chain Burn.  Yeah...

XOX

With that, I decided to drop.  Going 2-2 again wasn't very good, but at least I got to play some good matches today.  Honestly, I don't really mind losing to Chain Burn; I bring this up because most people think that Chain Burn is a "degenerate" deck that shouldn't exist, but I think that it actually takes skill to play, so I respect Chain Burn as a deck.  Yeah, it can be cheap sometimes, but all decks can win if they draw well and go uncountered.  I'd much rather play against Chain Burn than Dino Rabbit or Six Samurai.

But yeah, I got the last Turbo Pack 7 they had, but all it had was a Lightning Warrior, so that was disappointing.  Well, I was able to trade the Ultimate Rare Thunder King Rai-Oh to vadangchoinga for a mess load of cards, so I guess it turned out alright.

Anyways, I will be going to locals on Tuesday to pick up The Dojo Edition and one or two Bull Rush decks.  It depends on what exactly is in the decks.  Aki and I will be getting at least two so that we can get the Gilaflames, but I also want spare Tornado Flames so that I can tech Fire in my Water/Darkness/Light deck.  Of course, I'll have to see what cards I get before I decide how I will run my deck.

And I'm starting to feel like half a box of The Dojo Edition might not be enough.  According to my calculations, it should be enough, but I'm not exactly lucky when it comes to opening packs.  For all I know, I'll pull a bunch of Gatling Skyterrors and Little Hissies that I'll never need, which will take the spot of the Commons and Uncommons that I actually want.  Hopefully I won't have such rotten luck, but we'll see, I guess.  If it does come to that, then I could always get more packs.  I guess I'll have to start winning store credit on Saturdays so that I can spend it on Kaijudo cards, ha ha.

7 comments:

  1. Maybe the Chaos Dragon guy needs a reality check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really have no idea about what his problem is. He has the cards, but he just doesn't think through, well, anything...

      Delete
  2. Hey Grunty I have a question; what is the best method to explain rulings to an opponent during a tournament? For example, I destroyed an opponent's set Ryko with Jurrac Guiaba and he was completely convinced that Guiaba's effect would not go through. I tried explaining the mechanics, comparing it to similar cards (Fulhelmknight) but it was to no avail. Do you just keep shouting them down until they are convinced? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You absolutely should NOT keep shouting at them until they give in. The best thing to do is to calmly explain the ruling and how it may differ from other cards that they might be confused with.

      For instance, you could say that Jurrac Guaiba only need to see the Monster being destroyed by battle, which occurs after damage calculation, essentially. It does not need to see the Monster being sent to the Graveyard, however, which makes it different from cards like Blackwing - Shura the Blue Flame and Flamvell Firedog, which state that they need to see the Monster hit the Graveyard. In this situation, Ryko's effect would destroy the attacking Monster before it (Ryko) itself is sent to the Graveyard. While this would stop Shura or Firedog because they need to be on the field when Ryko hits the Graveyard at the end of the Damage Step, Guaiba only needs to have destroyed the Ryko in battle and does not care about what happens afterwards.

      If that fails, then you ask someone with access to the Internet (the tournament organizer, perhaps?) to look up the ruling. For newer rulings, you can go on the official Yu-Gi-Oh website, and the Yu-Gi-Oh Wiki has basically all of the rulings. The rulings pages are monitored by administrators, so they are reliable. This includes rulings by UDE, which are still valid if they were not overturned by Konami.

      It also helps to know someone at the tournament who is a reliable source of such rulings. At my locals, everyone always asks me for rulings questions, since they know that I know what I'm talking about. Even if they disagree, they accept what I have to say, and I advise them to look up the ruling after the tournament.

      And, as a last resort, you could e-mail Konami to ask about rulings. This is particularly useful for ambiguous rulings or rulings about TCG-exclusives. It often takes a long time for them to respond, but you will get a reliable answer from them. I mean, if the ruling is from Konami, then it's basically law. You can find the e-mail address to which you can address rulings questions on the "Links" page of the official website.

      Delete
    2. Hehe I don't actually shout at them, but thanks for the helpful response.

      Delete
  3. How did you go into time against Chain Burn, if I may ask?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first duel took a very long time, since all I drew were Monsters, and all he drew were draw cards and stall cards.

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.