Monday, July 16, 2012

Tournament Report 7/15/12

As I stated in yesterday's post, I would be going to locals again, today (really yesterday, since it's after midnight).  There was no Battle Pack tournament this time, though, so I got to sleep in.  But yeah, I took my Nordic Diva deck again, as usual.  I did have to replace the Maxx "C" I traded away with a Morphing Jar #2.  I wanted to try out the Morphing Jar #2 anyways, so I guess that this was an easy way for me to add it to the Side Deck.

But yeah, there were about 24 players there today.  Oddly enough, a lot of the regulars got paired up against each other early on.

Round 1: vs Chaos Dragons

This was my Round 3 opponent from this tournament.  I saw that he had switched decks before the tournament, so we knew what each other was running.

-Duel 1: The start of the game was pretty slow.  He went first with a Set Ryko, so I couldn't play anything important.  I just Set Gleipnir and let him waste his Ryko's effect.  He then summoned a Tour Guide to grab a second Tour Guide and attacked with all three Monsters.  After that, he made Wind-Up Zenmaines and ended.  I Set Super-Nimble Mega Hamster and two back rows.  He summoned Lyla, and I used Book of Moon when it tried to destroy my Bottomless Trap Hole.  He switched his Ryko to Defense Position and ended.  I Flip Summoned my Hamster and he negated its effect with Effect Veiler.  People seem to like to Veil Hamster, but it's honestly the least threatening effect I've got.  I ran over his Lyla, Set another back row, and ended.  He switched his Zenmaines to Attack Position and Normal Summoned Sangan.  He attacked my Hamster with Zenmaines, and I dropped the Tanngnjostr (black goat) that I searched with Gleipnir.  I guess that he forgot that Tanngnjostr has 1100 DEF.  On my turn, I switched Tanngnjostr to Attack Position to Special Summon Guldfaxe, then Normal Summoned Deep Sea Diva to Special Summon Lost Blue Breaker.  I tuned Guldfaxe to Tanngnjostr and Lost Blue Breaker to Synchro Summon Thor, then used Thor's effect to negate Zenmaines' effect.  Thor ran over Zenmaines and Diva destroyed Ryko.  I Set another back row for safe measure and ended.  He had absolutely no outs to Thor (assuming that Dark Hole doesn't count, and it doesn't), so I was able to win with it soon afterwards.
-Duel 2: He started with Tour Guide into Tour Guide and overlaid for Zenmaines.  I Set Super-Nimble Mega Hamster and two back rows.  He summoned Sangan and switched Zenmaines to Attack Position.  He attacked Hamster with Zenmaines, taking 300 damage, and letting me Special Summon Tanngrisnir (white goat).  He attacked Tanngrisnir with Sangan, and I Special Summoned two Nordic Beast Tokens and Tanngnjostr (black goat) from my hand.  On my turn, I switched Tanngnjostr to Attack Position to Special Summon Guldfaxe, then Synchro Summoned Thor using Guldfaxe and the two Tokens.  I used Thor's effect to negate Zenmaines' effect, then ran it over in battle.  He switched his Sangan to Defense Position and Set a Monster.  I used my Set Book of Moon on my own Tanngnjostr (black goat), then Flip Summoned it to Special Summon another Guldfaxe from my deck.  I tuned Guldfaxe to Hamster for Scrap Dragon and Set a Soul Taker so that I could destroy it and his Set Eclipse Wyvern.  He used its effect, but it didn't matter.  Tanngnjostr (black goat) attacked over his Sangan, then Scrap Dragon and Thor attacked directly for game.  He was disappointed that he couldn't search for Tragoedia with Sangan's effect.

OO

Round 2: vs Wind-Ups

This was my Round 2 opponent from yesterday, and he was out for revenge...

-Duel 1: I went first, but opened with no protection from his Hunter loop.  I Set Mystical Space Typhoon and Solemn Judgment and summoned Reborn Tengu, then ended.  He used Heavy Storm, and I decided to negate that with Solemn Judgment.  He then proceeded to Wind-Up Hunter loop my hand, ending with one Wind-Up Carrier Zenmaity and a Giga-Brilliant to kill both of my Tengus.  He Set two cards and I destroyed one of them with MST in the End Phase.  It didn't matter, though, since I was now top-decking against his four cards.  There was honestly nothing that I could draw to save myself, so I lost pretty quickly.
-Duel 2: I don't really remember what happened at the beginning of the duel, but he didn't open up with his combo pieces.  I was able to make a Scrap Dragon and destroy his back row with it, and he was stuck stalling behind Wind-Up Rabbit.  He was able to draw another Level 3 to go with his Rabbit to loop Zenmaities.  He ended up with two Zenmaities and an Acid Golem against my Scrap Dragon and Set Hamster.  He attacked my Scrap Dragon with Acid Golem, then my Hamster with a Zenmaity.  I Special Summoned Ryko, and he declined to attack it.  I drew and Set Book of Moon.  He had to detach an Xyz Material from Acid Golem, since he was at 1800 LP.  He used the Acid Golem to attack my Hamster, then attacked Ryko with one Zenmaity.  Ryko's effect destroyed the other Zenmaity.  I drew and Set another back row.  He had to detach Acid Golem's second Xyz Material in his Standby Phase.  Because of this, he had to OTK me (still at 7800 LP) without being able to Special Summon.  That wasn't possible, so he scooped.
-Duel 3: He opened with Magician and Shark, Special Summoning a second Magician and a Hunter.  Hunter tributed one Magician to send the Lost Blue Breaker in my hand to the Graveyard.  He overlaid Shark and Hunter for Zenmaity, grabbing Rat and using its effect to revive the Hunter.  However, I Chained D.D. Crow to banish the Hunter.  But, he had Instant Fusion, letting him overlay a Flame Ghost and the Rat to make Leviair and grab back the Hunter.  He tributed the other Magician to rip an MST out of my hand, then Set some back rows and ended.  The rest of my hand was Monsters, and he would be able to resume his loop on his next turn, so there was nothing I could do.  D.D. Crow helped out a little bit, but it doesn't do nearly as much as Effect Veiler or Maxx "C".  Oh well.  By the way, I didn't draw the Morphing Jar #2 I sided in, so the fact that I traded away my second Maxx "C" didn't affect the outcome of this match at all.

XOX

Round 3: vs Chaos Piper

-Duel 1: He started with Mystic Piper and Kinka-byo, so that was kind of annoying.  After a bit, though, I was able to use Compulsory Evacuation Device on his Kinka-byo, which caused his Mystic Piper to get banished.  However, he had drawn two Tour Guides using the Mystic Piper, meaning that he could make Leviair to get it back.  Regardless, I was able to keep doing damage to him while he kept drawing with Mystic Piper, and after a long duel, he surrendered after realizing that he wouldn't be able to win.
-Duel 2: He drew into his Piper/Kinka-byo combo again and was able to keep gaining advantage over me.  I was able to make a few separate Synchro and Xyz plays, but he had outs to all of them, including Creature Swap and Fossil Dyna Pachycephalo.
-Duel 3: I was able to make two direct attacks with Guldfaxe, but I had to use a Soul Taker on his Tragoedia.  With LP at 8000 to 5800, the duel went into time.  I kept my Monsters in Defense Position and continued to Set Monsters to protect myself.  He was able to drop a Chaos Sorcerer, but he couldn't deal any damage before he ran out of turns.

OXO

Round 4: vs Chaos Dragons

This was my Round 3 opponent from this tournament.  He was one of the last three undefeated players, meaning that I was paired up.  I agreed to give him the win for his Turbo Pack and Hobby League card, since the most that I could win in this position was a Hobby League card.  We still played it out for fun.

-Duel 1: He milled a total of zero Dark Monsters.  The only Dark Monster that he could Normal Summon was a Sangan, which he used Dark Hole on to search a Ryko to discard for Solar Recharge.  Still, he milled no Darks.  So, I amassed a field of Scrap Archfiend and Gachi Gachi Gantetsu with two back rows.  He Special Summoned Chaos Sorcerer by banishing the Sangan and an Eclipse Wyvern, but I bounced the Chaos Sorcerer with Compulsory Evacuation Device, and he scooped.  He showed me his hand of boss Monsters, none of which he could summon because he had no Dark Monsters in his Graveyard.
-Duel 2: The game went on pretty slowly, but I was able to set up a double Tanngnjostr (black goat) play when he attacked over my Hamster with a Darkflare Dragon.  Unfortunately, he then played Dark Hole to destroy both of my goats, since he didn't want me to summon Thor.  After a while, he played Future Fusion, to which I Chained MST, depriving him of his broken mill.  Regardless, I had no defensive back rows after that, so he barfed his hand of two Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon and Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning onto the field for an OTK.  After this duel, however, the other two undefeated players finished their match.  So, we decided to leave this match at a draw so that my opponent could start the finals.

OX (but I gave him the win)

And after that, I decided to drop.  X-2's don't win anything on Sundays, but I still got two Turbo Pack 8's (including the one from my Round 4 opponent) and a Hobby League Shining Angel.  I pulled Alligator's Sword Dragon and Gozen Match from the Turbo Packs, so that wasn't too bad.

Anyways, Shien finally put together a Gusto deck.  The reason that this is relevant is because we made a deal of sorts a long time ago.  He said that if I were to run Gem-Knights in the tournament, then he would run Gustos.  With Hidden Arsenal 6 coming out on July 24, I'll be able to make a fairly decent Gem-Knight deck.  However, I've decided that I'm not going to buy any Hidden Arsenal 6 packs, since there are very few good cards in that pack.  I will try to trade for the Gem-Knight cards from Duel Terminal 6, instead.  Until then, this little wager of ours will have to wait, sadly.  But yeah, I think that I just need two Prismaura, two Citrine, three Amber, and one Amethyst.  I already have the Iolites and all of the Gem-Knights from Duel Terminal 5 that I need.

Oh, and did I mention that The Dojo Edition for Kaijudo is coming out on the same day as Hidden Arsenal 6?  Yeah, I'll be getting that for sure.  Not that many cards have been revealed so far, but the fact that we're finally getting some Light cards is amazing.  Again, I'm hoping for Thunder Cruisers and Jade Monitors.  I know that Shien wanted Blinder Beetle to be in the pack, and it was revealed today (really yesterday, since it's after midnight) to be in there, so I guess he'll be glad to hear that.

But yeah, I'll try to figure out a way to get the Gem-Knights as soon as possible, and I'll also be trying out some different builds.  The only way I've seen Gem-Knights played is using Obsidian and such to rush with Fusions (mainly Zirconia) and OTK.  I don't think I'll play them like that, but I'll have to see what other options I have.  I'll try to work on them later this week, since next week will be devoted to Kaijudo, of course.

5 comments:

  1. What do you think of the gemknight deck that topped here? http://shriek.twoday.net/stories/64956490/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I can tell, it was one of those OTK-based Gem-Knight decks with Rescue Rabbit that apparently sided into a Stun build. I don't really like that idea.

      At the moment, I'm thinking about using stuff like Batteryman AAA, but the first priority is to actually get the Gem-Knight cards.

      Delete
  2. The power play of gemknights revolve around otking so far but if you don't wish to play that build then I presume you'll be making a stun build with more gemknight cards then the link above?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't have much of a choice. Even if I wanted to play the OTK-based variants, which I don't, then I'd need stuff like Rescue Rabbit and Zirconia, which I won't be able to get anytime soon.

      Besides, the Gem-Knight deck that I'm going to make is supposed to be a fun deck. I obviously won't be winning any tournaments with it, but I want to make it strong enough so that I can do at least as well as Shien's Gusto deck.

      Delete
    2. Lesson: Never summon an acid golem until you can kill as basically you are restricting yourself

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.