Sunday, July 15, 2012

Tournament Report 7/14/12

As usual, I decided to go to locals today (really yesterday, since it's after midnight).  But yeah, there was a Battle Pack tournament before the usual tournament.  I lost in the second round to my Round 1 opponent from this tournament, who went on to win the whole tournament and a Duelist Revolution play mat.  I told him after I lost to him that I'd buy the mat off of him if he were to win, and he did, so I did.  I now have a Duelist Revolution mat, which I may start to use in the future.  But yeah, my pulls from the Battle Packs were decent.  I got two copies of Adreus (one Starfoil), which was kind of annoying, but whatever.  I did gain a whole new appreciation for Backup Warrior, though.

Anyways, 27 people participated in the usual tournament.  I was using my Nordic Diva deck that I changed with additional anti-Samurai cards.

Round 1: vs Nordics

-Duel 1: I opened with two Set Traps.  He used Mystical Space Typhoon on my Gleipnir, and when I asked if he knew what it did, he told me that he was playing Nordics, too.  How interesting.  So I searched Tanngnjostr (black goat), and he summoned Rai-Oh to attack.  I took some hits for a little while before I was able to make a double Hamster play that got rid of his Rai-Oh and gave me a bunch of Set Monsters.  After I cleared his field, he make Odin using Valkyrie, but I killed his Odin with Ryko and finished him off before he could revive it.
-Duel 2: I was able to make a Scrap Dragon pretty quickly and take control from there.  Yeah, he was running a bunch of the weaker Nordic Monsters, so he couldn't really keep up.

OO

Round 2: vs Wind-Ups

This was my Round 4 opponent from this tournament.  I told him that I had played a mirror match in the previous round, but he didn't know what to think.  Either someone else was playing Nordics, someone else was playing Scraps, or I had decided to bring my Hieratic deck to locals.

-Duel 1: He went first, but didn't have the loop.  He played two Wind-Up Factories and Tour Guide into Zenmaity, letting him grab a Hunter to hit one card out of my hand, and search Shark and Rat.  He Set a back row and ended.  I drew to five cards in hand (Reborn Tengu, Mystical Space Typhoon, Solemn Warning, Lost Blue Breaker, and the second Tengu) and contemplated whether or not I wanted to MST what I expected to be a Warning.  With both Tengus in my hand, baiting it out seemed like the best option, so I summoned Tengu and he flipped Warning, claiming that he would not be happy if I had the second Tengu in my hand.  I Set my back rows and ended.  He MST"d my MST, which I Chained to destroy a Factory.  I used Warning on his Rat and took 1600 damage from the Hunter.  I summoned my second Tengu to kill the Hunter and ended.  But it didn't matter; with the Wind-Up Factory still out, he was able to keep searching Wind-Ups and constantly apply pressure.  My hand was lackluster, so I lost pretty quickly.
-Duel 2: I opened with Solemn Warning, Solemn Judgment, Torrential Tribute, Compulsory Evacuation Device, Maxx "C", and Effect Veiler.  I Set all of the Traps and ended.  He played Heavy Storm, which I negated with Solemn Judgment.  He then summoned Wind-Up Rat and played Instant Fusion.  I activated Maxx "C", and he Special Summoned his Flame Ghost.  He overlaid for Wind-Up Zenmaity, and I responded to the summon with Compulsory Evacuation Device.  He Set a card and ended.  I Set Super-Nimble Mega Hamster and ended.  He played Factory and summoned another Wind-Up Rat, which I negated with Warning.  On my turn, I summoned Deep Sea Diva, which he negated with Effect Veiler.  I Flip Summoned Super-Nimble Mega Hamster, grabbing my Ryko, then Synchro Summoned Gaia Knight, the Force of Earth.  He banished my Gaia Knight with Dimensional Prison when I attacked, and I ended.  He used Monster Reborn on his Wind-Up Rat, and I had to consider my options.  I needed the Ryko to destroy the Factory so he wouldn't be able to search anymore, so I didn't want to use my Torrential.  I decided to use Effect Veiler on the Rat after a while, but he still triggered Factory's effect to search another Rat.  He ended there.  I Normal Summoned Deep Sea Diva to grab another Diva, then Flip Summoned Ryko to destroy the Factory, as planned.  I then overlaid the two Divas for Gachi Gachi Gantetsu and crashed my Ryko into his Rat.  He summoned the third Rat, and I used Torrential Tribute.  I topped Reborn Tengu and pushed for 1900 damage.  From that point, he only drew back rows, and was unable to deal with my Tengu.
-Duel 3: He Set two cards and ended.  I summoned Guldfaxe and pushed for damage before Setting a couple back rows.  He used MST on one of them in the End Phase, then played another MST to destroy the other on his turn.  He summoned Rat and activated the Shark in his hand.  I Chained Maxx "C", and he ended there.  I played Mind Control, taking his Shark, then Synchro Summoning Thought Ruler Archfiend.  I attempted to end my Main Phase 1, and he used Effect Veiler.  That told me that his back row was Dimensional Prison.  So, still in my Main Phase 1, I Normal Summoned Tanngnjostr (black goat).  I used it to attack his Rat, and he declined to use Dimensional Prison on it.  From there, he was unable to deal with my Thought Ruler until it was too late (I think that he played Dark Hole after a while, but by that point, it didn't really matter).

XOO

Round 3: vs Inzektors

This was my Round 2 opponent from this tournament.  Before we started the duel, he claimed that he lost to me last time because he played too conservatively.  He stated that he wouldn't think about his plays this time and would just play aggressively.  However, he took just as long to think about his moves as last time, and didn't even attack me at all in the first duel...

-Duel 1: He only had one Dragonfly, and I had the Veiler for it.  From there, Reborn Tengu was able to rip apart his field, and I was able to make Stardust Dragon soon after to protect my back rows.  He stalled behind a Sangan, but I waited until I was able to OTK before attacking it.  He had Gorz, but I had Warning, so it didn't matter.
-Duel 2: My opening hand was Guldfaxe, Guldfaxe, Veiler, Veiler, Crevice Into the Different Dimension.  He passed his first turn, and I Set the Dust Tornado I drew.  He played MST, then summoned and attacked with Inzektor Hornet.  I summoned a Guldfaxe and ran over his Hornet.  He summoned Jurrac Guaiba, which I forgot that he used, and was forced to waste an Effect Veiler on it.  Guaiba killed my Guldfaxe and he Set a back row.  I Set a Ryko and an MST and ended.  He used MST on my MST in my End Phase, then summoned Centipede.  I used Effect Veiler when he equipped the Hornet, and he then equipped a Zektkaliber to his Centipede.  He attacked with Centipede, and I destroyed the Centipede with Ryko's effect, letting him grab back his Centipede using Zektkaliber's effect.  He attacked directly with Guaiba and ended.  I drew D.D. Crow and ended.  He summoned the Centipede again, and I Chained D.D. Crow to its effect, banishing the Hornet.  However, he equipped Ladybug from his hand, then sent it to the Graveyard to boost Centipede's Level by 1.  He searched Dragonfly, then attacked directly with both of his Monsters.  He then overlaid for Steelswarm Roach and ended.  I Set Hamster and Crevice and ended.  He summoned Dragonfly and activated its effect.  I Chained Crevice, banishing his Ladybug and my D.D. Crow, depriving him of the rest of his Inzektors.  He had no Inzektors in his hand, which was revealed to be Pot of Avarice, Monster Reborn, Effect Veiler, and Tour Guide.  He declined to attack and ended.  I summoned Reborn Tengu and ran over his Dragonfly.  He summoned his Tour Guide, grabbing Sangan and overlaying for Leviair.  His Leviair got back his Hornet, and Roach and Leviair attacked my two Tengus.  He Set a back row and ended.  I Flip Summoned my Hamster, and he declined to use Veiler.  I Special Summoned Ryko with Hamster's effect, then Normal Summoned my second Guldfaxe.  Without the ability to Synchro, I had to overlay for Utopia to run over his Leviair.  I Set a Compulsory Evacuation Device and he flipped Royal Decree in the End Phase.  He played Nobleman of Crossout on my Ryko... seriously, that actually happened... I guess he got tired of losing to Nordics... Anyways, he then used Monster Reborn on Sangan and tried to crash it into my Utopia.  I used Utopia's Moon Shield to block, and he switched his Hornet to Defense Position.  I attacked the Roach with Utopia and Set another Hamster.  He switched his Hornet back to Attack Position, then declared an attack with his Sangan on my Utopia.  I let it go, and he searched Dragonfly.  He then tried to crash his Hornet into my Utopia, which I blocked with Utopia's effect.  In his Main Phase 2, he played Pot of Avarice, then Normal Summoned a Tour Guide that he drew, grabbing the Sangan that he sent back with Avarice.  He overlaid the Tour Guide and Hornet for Leviathan Dragon, detaching Hornet to use Leviathan Dragon's effect.  He Set a back row and ended.  I topped Deep Sea Diva.  I Flip Summoned my Set Hamster, and he negated its effect with Effect Veiler.  I then summoned Deep Sea Diva, grabbing my Lost Blue Breaker.  Diva, Breaker, and Hamster made Mist Wurm, bouncing his Leviathan Dragon, Sangan, and Set Shrink (which he Chained).  Despite the Shrink, he was still at low enough LP for me to finish him off with Utopia and Mist Wurm.  By the way, this was the third duel that Mist Wurm has won for me.

OO

Round 4: vs Inzektors

This guy was a friend of the person I lost to in the Battle Pack tournament.  He knew that I was playing Nordics, but I knew that he was playing Inzektors, and I politely informed him that I had just beaten Inzektors in the previous round.  Yes, mind games are fun.

-Duel 1: I summoned Thor using Tanngnjostr (black goat), Tanngrisnir (white goat), and Guldfaxe.  He destroyed it with Hornet's effect once, then Torrential Tribute soon afterwards.  Unfortunately for him, I topped Monster Reborn to revive the Thor and keep beating his face in.  He had no more outs to it, so I was able to win with it.
-Duel 2: He drew no Inzektors for the majority of the duel.  He was trying to survive with Tour Guides and King Tiger Wanghus, but Reborn Tengu into Scrap Dragon dealt with all of that.  And when he finally drew an Inzektor, it was a Dragonfly, but he didn't have Hornet, so he couldn't do anything with it.  That let me finish him off with Scrap Dragon a couple turns later.

OO

Apparently, my supposedly horrible Inzektor match-up isn't as bad as I thought.  Perhaps it's because I side 7-9 cards against them...

Either way, I was one of the last two undefeated players.  The other undefeated player was my Round 4 opponent from this tournament.  We decided to split and play it out for fun.

Round 5: vs Dark Worlds

-Duel 1: She went first with a Set Monster and three back rows.  Gee, I wonder what that Monster could be.  I Set a Ryko and three back rows (Monster Reborn, Solemn Warning, and MST).  She used MST on my Warning in the End Phase, then Flip Summoned Morphing Jar on her turn after Setting the card she drew.  She discarded Grapha and Snoww, while I discarded Deep Sea Diva and Guldfaxe.  Grapha destroyed my Monster Reborn, and she searched The Gates of Dark World.  I was able to destroy it with MST after she banished Snoww, but she still had so much advantage that there wasn't much I could do.  Even after I cleared her field over the course of several turns, a process that used up most of my cards, she still had a full hand.  That Morphing Jar was just devastating, and she was able to keep beating me down under Skill Drain to win.
-Duel 2: I opened with Prohibition, declaring, "Grapha, Dragon Lord of Dark World."  I then Set a Solemn Warning and a Sangan.  She played Heavy Storm, then Dark World Dealings.  She discarded Goldd, and I discarded Pot of Avarice.  She killed my Sangan, letting me get Deep Sea Diva, then played Gates and Set two cards.  I summoned Deep Sea Diva and grabbed Lost Blue Breaker.  I tributed the Blue Breaker to destroy her Set Warning, which she forgot to use.  I then played Monster Reborn on my Sangan and Synchro Summoned T.G. Hyper Librarian.  With Sangan's effect, I searched a Hamster.  I Set a back row and ended.  She simply attacked with Goldd, but I flipped Dust Tornado to destroy Gates, letting my Librarian win the battle.  I then attacked with my Librarian, but she banished it with Dimensional Prison.  So, I Set Hamster and ended.  She summoned Tour Guide, grabbing Sangan and making Acid Golem.  It killed my Hamster, letting me get Ryko.  I drew another Prohibition, prohibiting Grapha once more, but it didn't matter.  In a couple turns, she played Skill Drain, nullifying her Acid Golem's effects and preventing me from using any of my effects.  I had a Dark Hole since the start of the game, and was forced to use it on her Acid Golem.  However, she used Monster Reborn on it, and I drew nothing but Monsters for the rest of the duel.  Hmm, perhaps I should play more back row destruction (as if I don't already play enough...).

XX

So yeah, I went 4-1 and got 2nd place, which is good.  I got a great deal of store credit, which was nice.  I spent it on two Secret Rare Dimensional Fissures and a Starfoil Pot of Duality.  I didn't need any more sleeves (I still have two unopened packs), so I spent the rest on some Battle Packs.  There were some decent pulls, like a Starfoil Greenkappa and a Starfoil Krebons.  But yeah, Battle Packs aren't really worth it, from what I've seen so far.  Oh well.  And my Turbo Pack 8 yielded an Alligator's Sword, which was bad...

Anyways, after the tournament, I traded away one of the Maxx "C"s in my Side Deck to Fwazalaza (my Round 2 opponent from this tournament, who finally gets a name) for a bunch of random stuff, including a Shining Elf (jealous, vadangchoinga?).  But yeah, I don't really need two Maxx "C"s, so I'm going to make due with just one.  I think I'll replace the second one with a Morphing Jar #2 or something.  Yep, more anti-Samurai cards.

But yeah, I'll be at locals again tomorrow (really today, since it's after midnight).

1 comment:

  1. Ironically, you said, "I was using my Nordic Diva deck that I changed with additional anti-Samurai cards."

    And you meet no six samurai. EPIC

    let's make this into a quote
    "I don't usually use my Nordic Diva deck that is changed with additional anti-Samurai cards for a tournament
    But when I do, no six samurai deck comes and challenge me"

    *true stroy bro.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.