Sunday, July 29, 2012

Tournament Report 7/28/12

As usual, I went to locals today (really yesterday, since it's after midnight).  It feels like I open most of my tournament reports like this.

Anyways, when I got there, I was informed that this was one of those tournaments where you could win a 4-day Gen Con pass, which I didn't care about.  On the upside, each participant got two Turbo Packs instead of the usual one, so that was nice.

There were about 30 participants, with not that many regulars.  A lot of the players were less experienced players who had just gotten back into the game, or just people who weren't regulars.  As usual, I went with my Nordic Diva deck, since I really have no other deck to use competitively.  Once I get my Gem-Knights together, I'll run it, forcing Shien and Fwazalaza to run Gustos and Ice Barriers (or Vylons), respectively, according to our wager.  All I'm really waiting on is the Fusions, since I don't need the Geminis with the build that I'm planning.

Anyways...

Round 1: vs Dragons

This guy was running some weird Dragon deck.  It didn't make sense; it was like Disaster Dragon without Masked Dragons or any other smaller Dragons; just Apocralyph, Lightpulsar Dragon, Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon, and Red-Eyes Wyvern...  I guess it works if you draw Future Fusion...

-Duel 1: He opened with Allure of Darkness banishing D.D. Crow, which told me practically nothing about his deck.  I beat him down with a Tanngrisnir (white goat) for a bit, but then he dropped Dark Armed Dragon and destroyed my field with it.  I killed it with Dark Hole, but then he flipped Return from the Different Dimension, Synchro Summoning Brionac to bounce my back rows.  He then summoned Apocralyph to grab back his Dark Armed Dragon and played it again to attack for game.
-Duel 2: I opened with two back rows.  He played two Mystical Space Typhoons, then Future Fusion... I didn't draw any Monsters, as evidenced by my Monster-less opening, so I lost pretty quickly.  Oh, and he had Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning, so that didn't help me out either.

XX

So, I just lost to a completely random deck that shouldn't be consistent, but he opened really well both duels.  I mean, seriously, he's not playing any smaller Monsters, just boss Monsters.  At least I can take solace in the fact that Future Fusion will hopefully be banned in a month...

Round 2: vs Lightsworn

This guy had just gotten back into the game, so he didn't know much about the meta.  The fact that I was playing a random "good stuff" deck was even more confusing for him, as well.  He was pretty nice, though; we had a fun match.

-Duel 1: I made Stardust Dragon using Reborn Tengu and Guldfaxe, then Set my hand to my back row.  Of course, half of my back rows were bluffs, but it doesn't matter if he can't use Heavy Storm.  He also milled pretty badly, not hitting enough Lightsworns to use the Judgment Dragon I assumed he had.
-Duel 2: I drew no Monsters, which is weird in a deck with like 23 Monsters, so I had to keep using Traps on all of his Lightsworn Monsters.  After my back row was thin enough, he dropped Judgment Dragon and finished me off.
-Duel 3: I made Stardust Dragon, Scrap Archfiend, and Thor over the course of two turns.  He played Dark Hole, forcing me to negate with Stardust Dragon, but I banished his only hope, a Judgment Dragon, with Chaos Trap Hole.  He scooped at that.

OXO

In this round, Fwazalaza had beaten my Round 1 opponent and avenged me.  But still, losing to that made me want to rethink what deck I should be using at locals.  So, I'll try my hardest to make Gem-Knights over the next week so that I can play them next weekend.  So yeah...

Round 3: vs Watts

I noticed earlier that this guy was a friend of my Round 2 opponent from this tournament, who is spondo on Dueling Network.  spondo often lends out his extra decks to his friends who don't have decks of their own, so I knew what to expect.

-Duel 1: I killed him really quickly with Scrap Dragon, destroying his Messenger of Peace, then going for game with it and Thor.
-Duel 2: He locked me down (not that I had anything that could do anything) with his Traps, then rushed me with Wattcobras.
-Duel 3: I rushed him with Brionac, discarding my useless cards to keep bouncing his Set Traps (Magic Cylinder and such, non-Chainables) and pushing for damage.  He wasn't able to draw any Monsters, so he couldn't really hurt me at all.

OXO

Round 4: vs Watts

This was a non-regular who had started coming to locals fairly often, so I realized that he was playing Watts.  When I sat down to face him, I was like, "Watts again?" and he was surprised that someone else was playing Watts.  But yeah, he was really cool, and this match was pretty fun.  He said that after seeing Nordics being run again, he was going to remake his Nordic deck.

-Duel 1: I dropped Thor, which got Fiendish Chained.  I then dropped Scrap Dragon, which got Fiendish Chained as well.  I used Ryko to destroy the Chain attached to Scrap Dragon, then used Scrap Dragon to destroy the Chain attached to Thor and my own Ryko.  He Chained Compulsory Evacuation Device to bounce my Thor, and I couldn't get past the Watthopper lock that he had set up.
-Duel 2: I drew a pretty bad hand, Setting Tanngnjostr (black goat) and a Dust Tornado.  He played MST, then Thunder King Rai-Oh, which killed my goat.  He Set a couple cards and ended.  I played Soul Taker, but he used Dark Bribe, letting me draw Book of Moon.  I used my own MST on his other back row, then summoned Sangan and used the Book to run over his Rai-Oh.  Unfortunately, he summoned another Rai-Oh and killed my Sangan.  With that, I was out of Monsters and had to use Monster Reborn to take his first Rai-Oh and crash with his second Rai-Oh.  Unfortunately, he had his Monster Reborn to revive one of his Rai-Ohs and keep beating me down with it.  I was forced to destroy it with a Ryko I drew later, but then took attacks from Wattcobra.  I Set Morphing Jar #2, hoping that he wouldn't attack it.  He summoned Wattdragonfly, and I had to use Compulsory Evacuation Device when it attacked to protect my Morphing Jar #2.  I took another attack from Wattcobra and he searched once more.  I topped Prohibition, playing it and declaring Wattdragonfly.  All I had left besides the Prohibition were the Morphing Jar #2 and a Set Torrential Tribute.  He Set up the Watthopper lock with a One for One and a Watthopper in his hand, then Set one back row after attacking directly.  I drew Pot of Duality, which was horrible, since it conflicted with Morphing Jar #2.  I flipped the Jar anyways, breaking his Watthopper lock.  I got a Guldfaxe, and he got two Wattcobras and one Watthopper.  I ended there.  He Flip Summoned everything, then Normal Summoned another Watthopper, and I flipped Torrential Tribute, breaking the lock again.  Unfortunately, I was low on LP and had no Monsters, so I lost to Wattgiraffe soon afterwards.

XX

With that, I decided to drop, again.  Seriously, I haven't been doing as well as I used to with this deck.  I suppose that I shouldn't worry too much about it.  I'll try to make my Gem-Knights over the week so that I can use it next weekend, as I stated earlier.  I would try to put it together tonight, but it's after midnight and I'm tired.  Besides, I still need to fix my Kaijudo deck.  Fumes isn't as good as everyone says it is.  It works well in a dedicated hand control deck, but it's not good as random tech...

So yeah, I pulled nothing good from my two Turbo Pack 8's, but I wasn't really expecting anything.  I've already gotten all of the cards I want from Turbo Pack 8, but I'd rather not get Turbo Pack 1 or 7, since apparently they had more Turbo Pack 7's.  But yeah, I donno what I'm going to do.  All I really need for my Gem-Knights is the Fusions, which are somewhat difficult to get.  It's difficult to get Duel Terminal cards in general, and I don't want the janky Secret Rare versions.  If it comes to that, though, I don't mind getting one Gem-Knight Prismaura and one Citrine.

Perhaps it might be a good idea for me to split a box of Hidden Arsenal 6 with Fwazalaza and AquaBass.  We all want cards from the set, but it's not really worth buying a box.  If we all get one-third of a box (eight packs), then we could trade each other the cards we want.  I believe that Fwazalaza wants Vylons and AquaBass wants Gishkis.  If AquaBass can actually make it to locals tomorrow (really today, since it's after midnight), then I would be down for splitting a box.  Then, I could finally complete my Gem-Knight deck (most likely), and we'd finally be able to go through with our arrangement.

2 comments:

  1. they still have Turbo 1??

    that set was amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they randomly found some in their back room. Turbo Pack 1 was good back then, but there's really nothing worth getting from there now. The Judgment Dragon and Doomcaliber Knight are nice, and I guess the Krebons is cool, but those are all holos. All of the Rares and Commons are rather useless now.

      I donno, maybe I'll try my luck with Turbo Pack 1 today.

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.