Monday, July 30, 2012

Tournament Report 7/29/12

As usual, I went to locals, again.  Yeah, I have nothing better to do during the summer.  I didn't have any time to change my Nordic Diva deck since yesterday, but I changed my Kaijudo deck somewhat.  Fumes is really not working for me, so I took them out for a second Overcharge and a Ghost Spy.  Aki also came with me to locals, and he got a Bull Rush deck.  Unfortunately, he pulled a Gilaflame out of the pack that came with the deck, so now we have four Gilaflames... Maybe I should tech it or something...

Anyways, there were about 30 players there today.  There were mostly regulars, some good non-regulars, and a few little children.

Round 1: vs Dino Rabbit

This guy wasn't a regular, but I had seen him before and knew what he was playing.  Since we had never played before, he had no idea what I was running.

-Duel 1: He opened Rabbit into Evolzar Laggia and Set two back rows.  I played Mystical Space Typhoon, seeing if he would use Laggia's effect; he didn't, and I destroyed an inconsequential back row.  I then Set Ryko and a back row.  He simply attacked with Laggia, losing his Laggia to my Ryko's effect.  He couldn't come back from that, since soon after, I used Pot of Duality to grab Effect Veiler, preventing him from using Tour Guide.  While he had a bunch of Normal Monsters to draw, I had a bunch of Effect Monsters with good effects to continue putting pressure on him to win.
-Duel 2: After playing Heavy Storm, he used two Normal Summoned Dinosaurs to make Evolzar Dolkka against my one Set Monster.  With Gorz and Effect Veiler in hand, there wasn't much I could do.  I tried to bait a negation with Veiler, but he just Set one back row and passed turn.  I drew another Veiler, and he flipped Macro Cosmos.  On the following turn, he summoned Tour Guide to get Leviair to get Rabbit to get Laggia, and I lost a turn later.
-Duel 3: The only Monsters he drew were Normal Monsters, so I just used stuff like Bottomless Trap Hole to get rid of them, and kept pushing with stuff like Reborn Tengu.  He couldn't get past my back row, and his back row wasn't enough to stop my Monsters.

OXO

Winning against Dino Rabbit is nice.  In theory, it should be easy, but my opponents usually open Rabbit and Tour Guide, so I hate the deck a lot more than I probably should.  Anyways...

Round 2: vs Chaos Dragons

-Duel 1: I opened with a Set Hamster and a Set MST.  He opened with Charge of the Light Brigade, milling two Dark Bribes and a Spell.  I had Set the MST because I wanted him to waste removal on it, since I knew that he was playing Chaos Dragons, but I didn't think that he ran back rows... Anyways, he searched Lyla and attacked into Hamster, letting me get Tanngnjostr (black goat), then used Lyla's effect to destroy my MST.  He Set two back rows, milled three cards, and ended.  I used Tanngnjostr's effect, but he negated with Forbidden Chalice.  I played MST on his other Set card, which was Forbidden Lance.  I then summoned a Guldfaxe from my hand and attacked with Hamster to kill Lyla, then directly with Tanngnjostr and Guldfaxe.  I Synchro Summoned Stardust Dragon, Set a back row, and ended my turn.  He Special Summoned Vice Dragon, then Normal Summoned Card Trooper and milled three cards, one of which was a Eclipse Wyvern, which banished Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon from his deck.  He then banished the Eclipse Wyvern and a Dark Monster from his Graveyard to Special Summon Chaos Sorcerer, which I had to let through.  He used Sorcerer's effect to banish my Stardust Dragon after getting back his REDMD.  He then banished the Vice Dragon to Special Summon REDMD, which I banished with Bottomless Trap Hole.  His Card Trooper ran over my Tanngnjostr (black goat), and he ended.  I Normal Summoned Reborn Tengu and attacked his Card Trooper, letting him draw a card.  I Set a back row and ended.  He Set a Monster and passed turn (I don't know why he didn't do anything...).  I summoned Deep Sea Diva and used its effect to grab Lost Blue Breaker.  With Diva, Blue Breaker, and Tengu, I Synchro Summoned Mist Wurm to bounce his whole field back to his hand, then grab another Reborn Tengu.  With that, I was able to go for game.
-Duel 2: He opened with a Set Monster and a back row.  I Normal Summoned Deep Sea Diva, and he negated its summon with Solemn Warning.  I ended there.  He drew and passed.  I Set a Monster and two back rows.  He Flip Summoned Ryko, but I banished it with Chaos Trap Hole.  He Normal Summoned Eclipse Wyvern, then banished it to Special Summon REDMD from his hand, whose effect got to Special Summon Vice Dragon from his hand.  He attacked with REDMD, destroying my Sangan and letting me search Deep Sea Diva, then directly with Vice Dragon.  I played Soul Taker on his REDMD, then Set the Spirit Reaper I drew.  He attacked, flipping the Reaper, then Set a back row.  I Normal Summoned Deep Sea Diva, activating its effect.  He Chained Book of Moon, thinking that it would stop the effect.  I told him otherwise, and was able to Special Summon my other Deep Sea Diva.  With that, I Synchro Summoned T.G. Hyper Librarian and ran over his Vice Dragon.  I Set a back row and ended.  He played Prohibition, prohibiting Bottomless Trap Hole.  He followed it up with Monster Reborn, reviving his REDMD.  I flipped Bottomless Trap Hole, and he pointed to his Prohibition.  I told him that it doesn't work on cards that were already on the field and that he should read the card.  He did, and realizing his mistake, scooped.  He had no Lights in his Graveyard, so he couldn't summon any of the Chaos Monsters in his hand.

OO

Round 3: vs Six Samurai

I was paired up against Fwazalaza.  We discussed a split, but decided against it.  There were still two more rounds after this, so it was a bit early to be splitting.

-Duel 1: I opened with a Set Monster and one back row.  He played Shien's Dojo, then Elder and Mizuho.  He used Mizuho's effect to destroy my Set Ryko by tributing his Elder.  He then Special Summoned Shinai and a second Mizuho, using the new Mizuho's effect to tribute Shinai and destroy my Set Gleipnir, which I Chained.  I searched Tanngrisnir (white goat), and he got back his Elder with Shinai's effect.  He used Dojo to Special Summon Kagemusha from his deck, Synchro Summoned Shi En, then Set his last card to his back row.  I Special Summoned Guldfaxe from my hand (yes, it actually has an effect... in the Six Samurai match-up at least...), then Normal Summoned the Tanngrisnir I had searched.  I Synchro Summoned Black Rose Dragon, trying to bait out Musakani Magatama.  Instead, he negated Black Rose's summon with Solemn Judgment.  So, I played Mind Control on his Shi En to bait out its negation, the played Dark Hole.  He Normal Summoned Elder, then Special Summoned the Kizan that he had just drawn.  He attacked with both, not afraid of Gorz this time, and ended.  I Set a Monster and a back row and ended.  He Set a back row, switched his Elder to Defense Position, and ended.  I Flip Summoned my Tanngnjostr (black goat), and he used Solemn Warning to negate its summon.  With five Monsters in my Graveyard, I played Pot of Avarice, letting me return all of my Monsters back to the deck and draw two cards.  I drew Monster Reborn, letting me steal his Shi En and win with it.
-Duel 2: He went first with Spirit of the Six Samurai and Kizan.  He equipped Spirit to Kizan, Set a back row, and ended.  I Set a Monster and two back rows.  He attacked with Kizan, and I flipped Book of Moon to turn his Kizan face-down and destroy the equipped Spirit.  He Set a Monster before ending.  I Flip Summoned Super-Nimble Mega Hamster, he flipped Warning, and I flipped Judgment.  Hamster Special Summoned Tanngnjostr (black goat), and I Normal Summoned Guldfaxe.  I tuned Guldfaxe to Hamster for Scrap Dragon, using its effect to destroy my Set Tanngnjostr and his Set Kagemusha.  I attacked over his Kizan and ended.  He Set two back rows and ended.  I summoned Deep Sea Diva, which he negated with a second Warning.  I Set a Warning of my own, then activated Scrap Dragon's effect, targeting my Warning and his lone back row.  He Chained it: Grave of the Super Ancient Organism.  I told him that it would still be destroyed.  He reread it and realized his mistake; he thought that it negated effects, as opposed to preventing them from activating.  So, I was able to attack with Scrap Dragon to drop him to 1200 LP.  He played Shien's Dojo and used Monster Reborn on his Kizan.  He sent Dojo to the Graveyard to get Shien's Squire and tuned it to Kizan for Catastor.  He attacked my Scrap Dragon with it and ended.  I Set a Reborn Tengu and ended.  He attacked it with Catastor, letting me get my second Tengu, and Set a back row.  I summoned Guldfaxe and tuned it to the Tengu for Thought Ruler Archfiend to kill the Catastor.  His next draw was of no help, so he scooped.

OO

Round 4: vs Wind-Ups

I was up against spondo (Round 2 opponent from this tournament).  We discussed a split; he wanted a box of Kaijudo Dojo Edition, but I needed to get Hidden Arsenal 6 for the Gem-Knights.  We couldn't reach an agreement, so we decided to play for it.

-Duel 1: He started with a Set Monster and two back rows.  Good, no loop.  I Set a Hamster and a back row.  He Set a back row and passed. I Flip Summoned Hamster, which he negated with Warning.  I Set another Hamster and ended.  He Set another back row and ended.  I Flip Summoned the second Hamster, getting hit by Warning again.  I Set Tanngnjostr (black goat) and ended.  He Set another back row and a Monster and ended.  I Flip Summoned Tanngnjostr, and he let it through.  I got Guldfaxe, then Normal Summoned Reborn Tengu.  I Synchro Summoned Scrap Dragon, grabbing my second Tengu.  I destroyed the Tengu to destroy one of his back rows, then attacked the Monster he Set second, killing Wind-Up Magician.  He Set another back row and passed.  I used Scrap Dragon's effect again, targeting my Gleipnir and another one of his back rows.  I Chained the Gleipnir to grab Tanngrisnir (white goat), then switched Tanngnjostr (black goat) to Defense Position.  I was afraid that he had a Sangan down, and I had nothing to stop the loop (my only back row was that Gleipnir), so I Set a bluff Pot of Avarice and passed.  He used his last back row, MST, on my Avarice in the End Phase.  He then drew Dark Hole and played it to kill my Scrap Dragon.  After that, he activated Wind-Up Factory and summoned Wind-Up Rabbit.  At that point, all hope was lost.  I had no outs to the Factory or the Rabbit, so the combination of them grabbing several combo pieces was more than enough for him to win the game.
-Duel 2: I opened with Reborn Tengu and two back rows.  He played Factory, Magician, and Shark.  I Chained Maxx "C" to Shark's effect, letting me draw a card when it was Special Summoned.  He searched another Shark using Factory, then overlaid his two Monsters for Utopia, letting me draw again.  He attacked my Tengu, letting me grab the second Tengu.  He Set two back rows and ended.  I summoned Guldfaxe and Synchro Summoned Thought Ruler Archfiend.  He used Torrential Tribute, but I negated with Solemn Judgment.  I then used Book of Moon on his Utopia and killed it with the Thought Ruler to gain back some LP.  I Set a bluff back row to go along with my one live one and passed.  He summoned Rat and activated the Shark from his hand, letting him trigger Factory and search a third Shark.  With Rat, he revived a Shark and Special Summoned the one he had just searched.  He leveled up two of his Sharks to make Zenmaioh in an attempt to destroy both of my back rows, but I flipped Bottomless Trap Hole.  He then Zenmaity looped me (without Hunter, just with Rats and Sharks), ending up with two Zenmaities and an Acid Golem.  His Acid Golem killed my Thought Ruler Archfiend and I took attacks from the Zenmaities.  My hand consisted of Lost Blue Breaker, Tanngrisnir (white goat), and some other Monster.  Unfortunately, it wasn't enough to hold him off until his Acid Golem burned him to death like I usually does.

XX

Round 5: vs Dark Worlds

I was paired up against AquaBass.  We decided to play for the Hobby League, since it's not really anything big and it's not like we could split it...

-Duel 1: I feared Grapha and made Stardust Dragon.  He played Gates and discarded Sillva to run over my Stardust.  I lost to that critical play and his one Main Decked Skill Drain.
-Duel 2: I opened with Prohibition, declaring, "Grapha, Dragon Lord of Dark World."  I Set a back row and a Monster before ending.  He drew a bunch of cards.  Like, all of them.  But, without Grapha, he couldn't mount an offensive.  He literally drew his whole deck, and Heavy Storm was the second-to-last card.  But by that time, I had Solemn Judgment to negate his Heavy Storm, so he proceeded to play Card Destruction and deck himself out.
-Duel 3: He opened up with two Set back rows, then Dragged Down Into the Grave, revealing a hand of Beiige, Broww, and Grapha.  My hand was Diva, Hamster, D.D. Crow, Chaos Trap Hole, and some other good Monster (Tanngnjostr (black goat), I think).  Since he had to choose first, I was able to base my decision off of his.  He discarded my D.D. Crow, the correct play, and I discarded his Beiige, letting him Special Summon it.  I Set my Hamster, of course, but he was able to destroy it with Solemn Warning, then proceed to beat me down with Beiige and Broww.  On his next turn, he Tribute Summoned Grapha by tributing his two Dark Worlds, apparently forgetting about my Chaos Trap Hole.  With that, he was out of Monsters, which let me beat him down with my random good stuff.

XOO

So yeah, I went 4-1 and got 3rd place.  I got a Hobby League Shining Angel, which is nice, I guess.  spondo and vadangchoinga were the finalists.  They tried to negotiate a split, like spondo and I had, but vadangchoinga foolishly declined to split a box of Kaijudo cards.  Unfortunately, vadangchoinga won and got a box of Galactic Overlord.  In a display of karmic justice, the best card that he pulled from his box was Shining Elf.

But seriously, I just wanted spondo to win so that he could get more Kaijudo cards, since he started playing yesterday with a couple Bull Rush decks and a set of Battle Decks.  It's quite convenient that most of the people who are starting Kaijudo now want to play Fire/Nature, since the Bull Rush deck makes building a Fire/Nature deck quite easy.  I mean, Fwazalaza and I had to spend a bunch of money (well, not so much in my case, as I only got half a box, which I split with Aki) getting booster packs so that we could get Light cards, since that's the only place to get Light cards at the moment.  I guess it's kind of unnecessary to play Light, though.  Honestly, I could replace all of my Light cards with Water Blockers, Darkness hand destruction cards, and Fire attackers, and the deck would work basically the same.  Skirmishers are just nice, is all.

Anyways, Aki didn't do so well, going X-3 drop.  Neither of us got good cards from the Turbo Pack 8's.  However, I did split a box of Hidden Arsenal 6 with Fwazalaza and another regular whom I've never played against before, oddly enough.  But yeah, we each paid for a third of a box and each got eight packs.  Fwazalaza was looking for Vylon stuff, I wanted my Gem-Knight stuff, and the third person wanted Laval stuff and Gishki Gustkraken.  I pulled two Gustkrakens and traded them to that third person for all of the Gem-Knight stuff he pulled (which was quite a bit).  Fwazalaza pulled a Gem-Knight Prismaura, and I traded him a Vylon Element and an Ultra Rare Double-Edged Sword Technique for it.  I also got a Duel Terminal Gem-Knight Obsidian and a Gem-Turtle off of Fwazalaza in a separate transaction.

But yeah, with that, I was able to get two Citrines, two more Prismauras, an Amethyst, three Ambers, and three Obsidians.  That means that I'll be running Gem-Knights next weekend.  I hope that Shien and Fwazalaza will have their DT-themed decks ready by then, as well...

9 comments:

  1. great report, as usual. Looking forward to the report with the gem knights! good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most top winning gem-knight decks have rescue rabbits in the OCG... which is unfortunately a very expensive card in US...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most top winning Gem-Knight decks also have Lavalval Chain and Gem-Knight Zirconia, neither of which the TCG has. I'm not trying to make a top tier Gem-Knight deck, it's just supposed to be good enough so that I can do better than Fwazalaza's Vylon deck and Shien's Gusto deck.

      Delete
  3. How much does it cost to enter the tournament and what was the prize breakdown?
    From the sound of it, it appears that 1st and 2nd prize get a lot of credit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It costs $7 to enter, and everyone gets a Turbo Pack. On Fridays and Saturdays, the prize is store credit for the top finishers (usually Top 3 or 4), depending on how many players entered. On Sundays, 1st place gets a booster box, and X-1's get a Hobby League card.

      Delete
    2. Wow, that's pretty expensive. Where is this tournament held?(city, state, country?) So are you saying this store hosts 3 events in 3 days?

      A booster box is nice. I'm surprised the store still has Hobby League cards available. Any good Hobby League cards available anymore?

      Delete
    3. It's not really that expensive. I'd say it's fair, since all of the entry fees go back into the prizes. They do hold on Yu-Gi-Oh tournament on each of those days, yes. And there aren't really any good Hobby League cards, which is why I prefer to go on Saturday than Sunday.

      And I can't say where my locals is due to privacy reasons. All I can say is that it's in the United States.

      Delete
    4. Imagine I fly to USA for internship. Sees LightGrunty but did not know that he was LightGrunty lolz

      Delete
    5. It's quite possible that that could happen. People have PM'd me on YouTube or commented on here after meeting me at bigger events saying that they had seen me or played against me, but didn't know that it was me.

      Of course, if you see my Rotom play mat, it should be pretty obvious that it's me.

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.