Monday, July 9, 2012

Tournament Report 7/8/12

As I said in my previous post, I attended locals once more today.  Before the tournament, I played some Kaijudo against AquaBass.  Of course, I won.  I mean, it's not really fair when I have access to three Battle Decks and can make whatever deck I want.  He's not bad, though, so it was still a challenge.

Anyways, there were about 42 people there today, with a lot of newbs.  Like, not newbs that don't have good decks, but newbs who had stuff like Inzektors and Dino Rabbit but had no idea how to use them correctly.  Like, I saw one of them try to send Inzektor Hopper to the Graveyard as an Equip Card when Banisher of the Radiance was on the field.  It was pretty bad...  But yeah, I was running my Nordic Diva deck.

Round 1: vs Stun

-Duel 1: I opened with Super-Nimble Mega Hamster, Deep Sea Diva, and Heavy Storm.  So, I could destroy his whole back row and combo off on him pretty easily.  He did have stuff like Fossil Dyna Pachycephalo, but Ryko and Torrential Tribute dealt with those.
-Duel 2: He opened with two back rows.  I summoned Reborn Tengu and attacked directly before Setting two back rows.  He played Dark Hole, then Mirror of Oaths on the Tengu that I Special Summoned.  I was pretty surprised, as it made the Tengu that would normally be a plus into an even trade.  From there, I used a Ryko to get rid of a Fossil Dyna, and he used Torrential Tribute on my Deep Sea Diva play.  I then lost the Hamster in my hand to Spirit Reaper, but topped a Reaper of my own and Set it.  He topped Caius the Shadow Monarch to banish my Reaper, but I banished his Caius with Bottomless Trap Hole.  He drew a Rai-Oh soon after and beat me down for a few turns.  I was eventually able to use Torrential Tribute once he summoned another Monster, and after that he drew no more Monsters.  So, I was able to draw a Guldfaxe and beat him down with it for like four turns for game.

OO

Round 2: vs Six Samurai

This was my Round 4 opponent from this tournament.  He made his deck from one Structure Deck and spare Six Samurai cards he picked up.

-Duel 1: He opened with two Six Samurai United, Elder, and Kizan.  He drew four cards off of his Uniteds, then Set two back rows and ended.  I ran over the Elder with Reborn Tengu, Set a back row and ended.  He Special Summoned Grandmaster and another Kizan.  They ripped through my Tengus (which is why I didn't play Tengu in the Six Samurai format...), and he ended.  I set Super-Nimble Mega Hamster and ended.  He summoned Kageki and Special Summoned Mizuho with its effect.  He tributed Kageki for Mizuho's effect, but I negated it with Effect Veiler.  He then attacked my Hamster, which got a Ryko, which destroyed his Set Solemn Judgment when he attacked it.  After the following direct attacks, I was extremely low on LP.  All I had was another Ryko; I couldn't deal with his swarm.
-Duel 2: My starting hand included Tragoedia, three Hamsters, and two other Monsters.  I just Set the Hamster and ended.  He summoned Hand of the Six Samurai, then Kizan and Grandmaster.  He misplayed with his Hand, though, and since he destroyed by Hamster, but didn't destroy my Tragoedia after I used it to block.  With that Tragoedia, I was able to beat him down, and he wasn't able to summon Shi En, which made my job easier, I guess.  He did clear out my field with Dark Hole after a while, but he was down so many cards that it didn't matter.
-Duel 3: He opened with two United, Dojo, Kagemusha, Kizan, Grandmaster, leaving him with Shi En, Kizan, Grandmaster, two back rows, and two cards in hand.  I was able to drop Gorz, but he had Mirror Force.  I then tried a Black Rose Dragon play with Guldfaxe and Lost Blue Breaker, but he had Musakani Magatama.  To add insult to injury, he then topped Gateway and played it to continue to swarm.  I was able to make another Level 7 Synchro, but since my Black Rose was already gone, I had to use Scrap Archfiend.  In this case, I feel like I might've had a chance if I were running two Black Rose Dragons, but I really couldn't do much against his constant swarming.

XOX

Seriously, I've been trying to make my deck better against the good Six Samurai decks that focus on the lock down that Shi En provides, but I keep playing against the Six Samurai decks that play very few Traps and rely entirely on swarming.  It's kind of aggravating, since my deck is too passive to deal with them, short of something like Morphing Jar #2.  Perhaps I should try that out or something...

Round 3: vs HERO Beat

This was my Round 5 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: He went first with E - Emergency Call and Reinforcement of the Army.  He grabbed Alius, then Stratos to grab another Alius.  I had an Effect Veiler, but I decided not to use it, wanting to save it for a Blade Armor Ninja or something, seeing as how he already had another Alius.  Perhaps that was a mistake, but I don't remember it affecting the game that much.  The main problem this duel was that the only Monster I drew were that Veiler, a Guldfaxe, and later, another Veiler.  I seem to draw like this against HERO Beat a lot, huh.  I was desperate enough to Monster Reborn his Rai-Oh, but he used Honest with his Alius to kill it.  From there, I just lost to Alius beat down and a Miracle Fusion.
-Duel 2: I drew a much more aggressive hand, so I Set Ryko and two back rows.  He played Heavy Storm, which was what I was fearing, which is why one of my Traps was Gleipnir, letting me search a Tanngnjostr (black goat).  The other one was Chaos Trap Hole, which he read while I was searching for Gleipnir; he said something along the lines of "that's pretty neat" before going to read the Tanngnjostr.  He then summoned Beast King Barbaros and ran over my Ryko, which destroyed his Barbaros.  When Ryko was destroyed, I got to summon my Tanngnjostr.  He Set one card and ended.  I used Tanngnjostr's effect to grab Guldfaxe and Synchro Summon Scrap Archfiend and attack.  I then Set three cards, now safe from Heavy Storm, and he hit my Dust Tornado with his MST in the End Phase.  He didn't seem to have any Monsters, as he just Set a back row and ended.  I attacked again with Scrap Archfiend, then Set a Tanngrisnir (white goat).  He Set a Monster and ended.  I summoned Deep Sea Diva to grab Lost Blue Breaker, then Flip Summoned my Tanngrisnir.  I Synchro Summoned Scrap Dragon and used its effect to destroy my Scrap Archfiend and his Set Fossil Dyna Pachycephalo.  He laughed, and after he showed me the Fossil Dyna, I laughed and said, "Thought so."  I simply attacked directly with Scrap Dragon for game, ignoring his one back row since I had Solemn Judgment Set since turn three.
-Duel 3: He went first with Stratos into Alius, Duality into Miracle Fusion, and one Set back row.  I played MST and Soul Taker to clear the field, then summoned Spirit Reaper to try and knock the Miracle Fusion out of his hand, but I only hit a Photon Thrasher.  My opponent's friend (my Round 2 opponent from this tournament) who was sitting next to me was sad to see the Photon Thrasher discarded, since he had recommended it to my opponent.  I didn't have any back row, so I just ended.  He used Miracle Fusion to grab The Shining and push some damage through my Spirit Reaper.  I switched it to Defense Position and Set a Ryko.  He summoned Alius and attacked my Ryko with The Shining.  I destroyed his Alius, then Special Summoned Tanngnjostr (black goat).  He Set a back row and ended.  I switched Tanngnjostr to Attack Position to trigger its effect and Special Summoned Guldfaxe.  I considered making Thor using all of my Monsters, but I wanted to keep Spirit Reaper alive in case Thor got Warning'd or Bottomless'd.  So, I summoned Lost Blue Breaker and combined it with my Nordic Beasts to Synchro Summon Thor.  Unfortunately, he played Super Polymerization, Fusion Summoning Elemental HERO Gaia to destroy my Spirit Reaper with its effect.  I still didn't have any back row, so he was able to swing for game on the following turn.

XOX

Having lost two matches, I decided to drop, since there was no point in continuing.  I got another Rare Gozen Match from my Turbo Pack 8, so that wasn't bad.  Many of the other regulars had decided to drop by this point; though AquaBass and Round 2 opponent from this tournament went X-1 and got Hobby League cards.  My Round 4 opponent from yesterday won the tournament with his Wind-Ups.  It makes me kind of want to play Infernities, but topping Infernity Archfiend doesn't really mean anything if they have Solemn Warning down after Wind-Up Hunter looping you.

Anyways, after the tournament, my Round 2 opponent from today, AquaBass, vadangchoinga, and Round 2 opponent from this tournament (who really needs a name so that I can refer to him more easily) all played Kaijudo and such.  Yeah, I'm still really excited for The Dojo Edition.

But yeah, I also was able to make a few trades.  I traded away my Super Rare Upstart Goblin and both Ultra Rare Skill Drains for two Super Rare Forbidden Lances, a Duel Terminal Book of Moon, a Parallel World Fusion, a Duel Terminal Black Horn of Heaven, two Common Skill Drains, a damaged Common Royal Decree, and a Hieratic Sun Dragon Overlord of Heliopolis.  Finally, I have a generic Rank 8 Xyz Monster, which could help if I decide to play Dark Worlds or something.

So yeah, I'm not sure what I want to do for next week.  There will be a Battle Pack tournament on Saturday before the usual tournament, but as for what deck I'm going to bring for the normal tournaments, I'm not entirely sure.  I'll probably just get lazy and bring my Nordic Diva deck again, regardless.

4 comments:

  1. Lightgrunty, with his monopoly on all the battle decks in our area X.X No wonder you always win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually don't have a monopoly on the Battle Decks, LOL. Aki and I each got one, and Aki was able to get a third one, so we're just sharing three sets of Battle Decks. By the time I got mine from locals, more than half of them were already gone.

      From what I've heard, there's actually another group of Kaijudo players who had gotten their Battle Decks on the first day, but it would seem as though they only have one each. There's also at least one person who used to play Duel Masters competitively and has already gotten three Battle Decks for himself who may play at Kaijudo tournaments when they start up.

      Besides, once the starter decks and booster packs are released, the playing field will be much more even. I'm just hoping that there are some good Light cards in The Dojo Edition, which is coming out in two weeks.

      Delete
  2. That doesn't seem like a very good trade for you, just my opinion but I wouldn't have done it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, it seemed about even. None of my friends really had anything that I wanted; the main things were the Lances and the Heliopolis. All of the other stuff was just to make the trade more even.

      Besides, the holos from Turbo Pack 8 have been slowly decreasing in value from what I've been seeing, so I'm just glad to get rid of them.

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.