Sunday, July 1, 2012

Tournament Report 6/30/12

As usual, I went to locals today.  I got there quite early, since I woke up earlier than I wanted to this morning.  Eh, whatever.

When I got there, I just talked to the store owner about Kaijudo and such.  He says that he'll only be getting three booster boxes of the Dojo Edition Booster Pack.  That was saddening, since I kind of wanted to get two boxes.  We'll see what happens, though.

Anyways, before the tournament started, I played a couple of games of Kaijudo against my Round 3 opponent from this tournament.  He had played Duel Masters a long time ago and didn't really remember the rules, so I refreshed his memory and such.  After a match against him with the two 30-card scrap decks, someone whom I had never seen before randomly came up to us and asked to play Kaijudo against me.  We played a match, and I won 2-0.  He was playing Water/Darkness like me, but he focused more on the bigger Creatures like Zagaan.  While I used stuff like that, too, I also had a bunch of smaller Creatures that I could apply pressure with from the beginning, which is what I attribute my wins to.

So yeah, the tournament started soon after that.  There were around 26 players with most of them being newbs.  I decided to run my Scrap Worms today to combat the increase of Six Samurai decks that would occur due to the release of the Structure Deck on Tuesday.

Round 1: vs Dino Rabbit

This was my Round 4 opponent from this tournament.  He's honestly really bad at this game.

-Duel 1: He didn't draw any Monsters besides Tour Guides and D.D. Crows.  Once I bounced the two Leviathan Dragons he brought out with the two Tour Guides using Worm Yagan and Compulsory Evacuation Device, he had nothing to defend himself.  I also had two Worm Yagans in the Graveyard when I summoned my second Worm Xex, so his D.D. Crow was useless.
-Duel 2: Since I hadn't seen anything in the first game besides D.D. Crows and Tour Guides, I assumed Chaos Dragons.  I sided a little bit, but didn't draw any Side Deck cards anyways.  He opened with two Set cards, then Rescue Rabbit into Evolzar Dolkka.  I used Mystical Space Typhoon on one of his back rows, then Special Summoned Cyber Dragon.  On the summon, he responded with Fiendish Chain.  Like I said, he's really bad at this game.  So, I went through with my plan of summoning Scrap Beast and Synchro Summoning Scrap Twin Dragon.  In response to that, he played Effect Veiler.  With Evolzar Dolkka on the field.   He's really bad at this game.  So I ran over his Dolkka and won shortly afterwards.

OO

Round 2: vs Six Samurai

This was my Round 3 opponent from this tournament.  He was also the person I played Kaijudo with using the two 30-card janky decks before the tournaments.

-Duel 1: I went first, opening with a Worm Xex play and two Set cards.  He Set three cards and passed.  I attacked with Worm Xex and passed.  He drew and passed.  I attacked with Worm Xex, Set a card, and passed.  He played Shien's Smoke Signal to search Elder, then played Six Samurai United.  I Chained MST to destroy it, but then he played Gateway.  I negated the Special Summon of his Elder with my Solemn Warning, though.  He was left to summon Kizan and attack Worm Yagan to force its bounce effect.  I drew for my turn and played Heavy Storm, destroying my Set Compulsory Evacuation Device, and his four back rows (Gateway, two Musakani Magatama, and Mystical Refpanel...).  I then summoned Scrap Goblin and tuned it to Worm Yagan to Synchro Summon Scrap Archfiend and attack for game.
-Duel 2: He opened with Smoke Signal, searching Kageki.  He summoned it and Special Summoned Mizuho with its effect, then Set three cards.  I summoned Scrap Beast and attacked Mizuho.  He activated Shien's Squire from his hand, and my Scrap Beast was destroyed by battle.  I then Set four cards and ended.  On his draw, I flipped Gozen Match.  He Chained MST to destroy it, but I Chained another Gozen Match.  He sent his Mizuho to the Graveyard, switched his Kageki to Defense Position, then Set a third back row.  In the End Phase, I flipped Dust Tornado to try and destroy one of his live back rows.  He Chained Magatama.  Still in his End Phase, I flipped Royal Decree and locked him down.  I summoned Scrap Chimera and revived Scrap Beast, letting me make Scrap Dragon and run over his Kageki.  I also Set the Book of Moon I had drawn and ended.  He drew and Set a back row.  I used Scrap Dragon's effect, targeting my Book and one of his back rows.  I Chained Book to reset my Scrap Dragon and destroyed his Set Solemn Warning.  I Flip Summoned my Scrap Dragon, used its effect against to destroy my Gozen Match and his Set Magatama, then attacked directly.  I then Set the MST I drew and ended.  He drew and Set a second card to his back row.  I drew another MST, then used Scrap Dragon's effect to target my Set MST and one of his back rows.  He Chained Grave of the Super-Ancient Organism for no reason, and I Chained MST to destroy his other back row, Shien's Dojo.  I attacked directly again and Set my MST.  He drew and Set a back row, and to destroy any hope he had left, I destroyed his last card with my MST during his End Phase.  One more attack from Scrap Dragon later, and I had won very decisively.

OO

Round 3: vs Gravekeeper's

This guy was kind of newbish; he played stuff like Rite of the Spirit and such...

-Duel 1: He went first, summoning Zephyros, activating Necrovalley, Setting two cards, then activating Royal Tribute.  He revealed to me his Mirror Force, and I discarded Scrap Beast, revealing Scrapstorm, Dark Hole, Solemn Judgment, and Solemn Warning.  Good thing I only opened with one Monster.  From there, though, I was able to draw a couple of Monsters, like Worm Xex and Scrap Chimera, while he didn't draw any Gravekeeper's Monsters until late in the duel.  By that time, it was already too late.  He had taken too much damage from random beatdown, and I had destroyed his whole field using Black Rose Dragon.
-Duel 2: I opened with four Monsters, but thankfully he didn't have Necrovalley.  He Set a Monster and two back rows.  I Set Worm Yagan and Dust Tornado.  He Flip Summoned his Recruiter, then flipped Torrential Tribute.  My Yagan was destroyed, and he searched Commandant to search Necrovalley.  When he activated it, I Chained Dust Tornado to protect myself from a possible Royal Tribute.  He simply ended at that.  I beat him down with Scrap Beast for a little while, but he eventually used Pot of Duality to grab a Commandant to grab another Necrovalley.  He played it, then played Royal Tribute, discarding my hand of Photon Thrasher and Scrap Goblin, and revealing to me his Mirror Force again.  I still beat him down with Scrap Beast until he drew another Commandant to run over my Beast.  I drew a Dust Tornado and Set it before taking another attack from the Commandant.  However, I drew a Worm Xex on the following turn, letting me go for game.  I used Dust Tornado on his only Set back row (the second Royal Tribute), played Dark Hole, then summoned Worm Xex to wipe out the rest of his LP.

OO

So at this point, there were four undefeated players left, including myself.

Round 4: vs Six Samurai

I knew that this guy was running Six Samurai, but I didn't know exactly how.  I found out afterwards that he was running a pretty bad build focusing only on rushing made from three Structure Decks.  Basically, he didn't play any defensive Traps, but he played a bunch of Monsters and relied on Kizan and Grandmaster to swarm.

-Duel 1: I open with two Worm Xex, so I make a Worm Xex play and Set two back rows.  He played Dark Hole, then ended.  So, I made another Worm Xex play and poked for some damage.  He swarmed with Kageki, Kagemusha, and Kizan, letting his make Shi En.  His Shi En attacked my Yagan, which bounced the Shi En, and his Kizan crashed into my Xex.  I didn't have any other Monsters, so I took a risk and Set a third back row (Call of the Haunted).  He drew Heavy Storm, the repeated his swarm from last turn and killed me.
-Duel 2: I got out a Scrap Dragon by turn five of the duel, and he couldn't deal with it.  He tried to bounce it with Enishi, but I saved a Fiendish Chain for that.
-Duel 3: I opened with three Worm Xex and no defensive Traps.  He went first and passed.  I made a Worm Xex play, attacked, and ended.  He Special Summoned Elder, then Normal Summoned Kagemusha.  He then Synchro Summoned Shi En, then Special Summoned Grandmaster and Kizan.  His Kizan killed my Xex, his Shi En attacked Yagan, which bounced the Shi En, and I took an attack from Grandmaster directly.  With only three Worm Xex and incoherent Spells, I couldn't deal with his Grandmaster and lost to it and Enishi.

XOX

Round 5: vs Chaos Dragons

This guy played a pretty subpar build.  He ran at least two Fiendish Chains and Solemn Warnings, and happened to keep drawing them in his opening hand instead of milling them with his Lightsworn effects.  He also played stuff like Dark Horus...

-Duel 1: I made Steelswarm Roach backed by Solemn Warning.  He had two Fiendish Chains to negate its effect (I used Book of Moon to protect Roach from one of the Chains), then summoned five Monsters in one turn to kill me.
-Duel 2: Gozen Match locked him down really well, since he didn't really know how it worked.  I was able to summon a Scrap Dragon and he couldn't deal with it with Gozen Match out.  What's really weird is that I opened with three Cyber Dragons and kept Tribute Setting them because I was under Gozen Match and wanted to fuse with his Card Trooper...
-Duel 3: He went first, using Allure of Darkness to banish Dark Armed Dragon.  He then summoned Dimensional Alchemist, banishing Effect Veiler from the top of his deck.  I Special Summoned Cyber Dragon and Normal Summoned Scrap Beast, running over his Alchemist and dealing some damage.  I then Synchro Summoned Scrap Twin Dragon and Set three cards.  He played Dark Hole, his only out to Scrap Twin, letting me revive Scrap Beast.  He then played Charge of the Light Brigade, milling Lightpulsar Dragon and searching Lyla.  He Normal Summoned the Lyla, but I flipped it face-down with Book of Moon.  He then sent a Lightpulsar and Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon from his hand to the Graveyard to revive the Lightpulsar that he had milled.  I flipped Bottomless Trap Hole, and his Lightpulsar was banished.  He ended, and I summoned the Zephyros that I had drawn, attacking over his Lyla, then directly with Scrap Beast.  I overlaid for Steelswarm Roach and ended.  He drew to three cards in hand against my Roach, one back row, and one card in hand.  He Set a Monster, obviously a Ryko, and ended.  I drew and passed.  He Set another Monster and passed.  I drew and Set a back row.  He Flip Summoned the first Ryko, destroying my Set MST, then the second Ryko to try and destroy my Roach.  I dropped the Effect Veiler I had been holding all game, but it was useless, since he just Tribute Summoned his REDMD and swarmed to kill me.

XOX

I guess my Chaos Dragon match-up is too dependent on Gozen Match.  Perhaps I should just try and fix my Nordic Diva deck to better combat Six Samurai, since that's its worst match-up...

Anyways, I ended up going 3-2, which isn't good.  I pulled an Alligator's Sword Dragon from the Turbo Pack 8, though, which was good.  That was the last non-holo I wanted from Turbo Pack 8, but since I already got all of the cards I wanted from Hidden Arsenal 5 from Shien, I guess I'll keep getting Turbo Pack 8's.

After the tournament, a bunch of the regulars and I went out to eat, like we usually do.  I usually omit this part from the tournament report, since it usually isn't that exciting.  It's just us eating and sometimes playing Yu-Gi-Oh afterwards.  This time, however, we played Kaijudo for the whole time.

AquaBass was able to get the last Kaijudo Battle Decks from locals, so we started by making him a Water/Nature/Darkness deck.  He wasn't too familiar with the rules, since he too had forgotten how to play Duel Masters, but we played a duel regardless.  After that, I let vadangchoinga play against him using my deck.  My Round 2 opponent from today and Shi En played a several duels using my 30-card junk decks, too.  We all played a bunch of duels, and fixed up AquaBass' deck a little more, taking out the Water cards to add Fire cards.

After a bit, vadangchoinga wanted to play Yu-Gi-Oh, so I dueled against him with my Scrap Worms.  He kept opening with amazing hands, but I was still able to win a couple duels.  I also put him on tilt by telling him what all of his back rows were.  "This is Skill Drain, that's Horn of the Phantom Beast, that's Dark Bribe, and one of those two is Warning."  All of my predictions were right, and we all had a good laugh.

We ended up leaving the restaurant around 9:00, but my Round 2 opponent and I talked about various things for over an hour before we ended up heading home.  By the time I had gotten home, it was already 11:00 PM.

Now, I'm considering what I'm going to be doing tomorrow (really today, since it's after midnight).  I kind of want to go to locals again, since I again have nothing better to do.  I'm usually bored every day, since I have nothing to do, except for Thursdays where I just watch Burn Notice all day.  I will most likely be able to go to locals tomorrow, and I probably will if nothing comes up.  As for what deck I'd run, it'd probably be Nordic Diva.  I'd most likely run it as is, and see what I need to fix afterwards.  If I need to revamp the deck to be able to beat Six Samurai more easily, it would take a lot longer than just a couple hours.  We'll see what happens, I suppose.

3 comments:

  1. try making infernities...it will be so cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Infernities, but I'm still waiting for stuff like Lavalval Chain, Daigusto Emeral, and Gagaga Gunman.

      Delete
  2. is pissed he can't go to locals at all this weekend. Anyway, i've been trying out kaijudo online, and it seems pretty legit. If joe gets more of those decks anytime soon, maybe i'll buy one or two.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.