Saturday, May 26, 2012

Tournament Report 5/26/12

As usual, I went to locals today with my Scrap Worms.  They've been doing pretty well recently, and I might just end up taking them to Regionals next weekend.  And I still don't have the second Atum I need for my Hieratic deck.  It's still like $25 even though Hieratics failed spectacularly at the most recent YCS.  And it still costs more than Gaia Dragon, the Thunder Charger for some reason...

Anyways, there were 16 players there today.  About half of them were regulars, and basically none of the regulars got paired up against each other.  So yeah...

Round 1: vs Quickdraw Junk Doppel - OO

-Duel 1: I just dominated with Scrap Dragon after whittling down his cards turn by turn.  His last card was Swords of Revealing Light, and we all know that that doesn't stop Scrap Dragon...
-Duel 2: The only Trap I saw in his deck in the first duel was Dimensional Prison and he didn't side, so I just went with Thought Ruler Archfiend instead of Stardust Dragon.  He tried to make a Synchro play, but Gozen Match shut him down, and I just kept killing all of his Monsters with Thought Ruler.  I ended up with 19900 LP by the time I had won.

Round 2: vs Evols - XOO

This was my Round 4 opponent from this tournament.  Apparently he got tired of Wind-Ups...

-Duel 1: However, I made my opening play as if he were playing Wind-Ups.  I started with Foolish Burial to dump Scrap Beast, then summoned Scrap Chimera.  He used Effect Veiler, so I used Monster Reborn to revive the Beast and make Scrap Dragon anyway.  I then Set Book of Moon and Bottomless Trap Hole, leaving Blackwing - Zephyros the Elite in my hand.  He opened with Heavy Storm, a Set Monster, and a Set back row.  I drew Effect Veiler and summoned Zephyros.  I activated Scrap Dragon's effect to destroy his Set Monster, but he used a second Effect Veiler.  So, I attacked with Zephyros, and his Monster was an Evoltile Westlo!  He got Evolsaur Cerato, which I killed with Scrap Dragon, and I ended.  He tributed his Westlo for Enemy Controller to steal my Scrap Dragon on his turn and tried to use its effect to kill itself.  I used Effect Veiler to save it, and he attacked over my Zephyros.  I drew and summoned Scrap Beast and attacked him directly with both of my Scraps.  He played Pot of Duality, grabbing Evolsaur Diplo, and summoned it to crash into my Scrap Beast.  He then played Pot of Avarice, letting him send all of his Monsters back to his deck and draw to three cards in hand.  He Set them all to his back row and ended.  I drew Worm Yagan and attacked with Scrap Dragon to drop him to 800 LP.  I then Set the Yagan and ended.  He flipped Evo-Diversity to search Evoltile Najasho and summoned it, then played his top-decked Evo-Force!  That let him get two Evolsaur Cerato.  One of them ran over my Worm Yagan, letting him search Evoltile Westlo, while Worm Yagan bounced his other Cerato.  He ended at that.  I drew Worm Xex and summoned it.  He used Bottomless Trap Hole, but I still sent my second Yagan to the Graveyard.  I attacked over Cerato with Scrap Dragon to drop him to 100 LP and ended.  He Set a Monster and ended.  I drew a Scrapstorm or something inconsequential that I could Set to my back row.  When I Set it, he used Mystical Space Typhoon to destroy it before I could use Scrap Dragon's effect.  I just attacked his Set Westlo, letting him get Evolsaur Vulcano, which revived one of his Ceratos.  He overlaid the two for Number 39: Utopia, then Xyz Chaos Changed into Utopia Ray!  He wasn't really sure how Utopia Ray worked, since the only time he had even seen it used was when I used it against him last time.  I guess he got his revenge, then, since he detached one Xyz Material to boost Utopia Ray and weaken my Scrap Dragon.  He summoned the Evolsaur Cerato I bounced earlier, then attacked with Utopia Ray to kill Scrap Dragon, then with Cerato to destroy the Scrap Beast I got back.  I was top-decking, and I drew MST.  I Set it and ended.  He switched Utopia Ray to Defense Position and attacked with Cerato directly.  I topped Solemn Warning and Set it.  He switched his Utopia Ray back to Attack Position and attacked with both of his Monsters for game.  This was basically game one of the last time we played, except reversed.
-Duel 2: I opened with a couple back rows, since my hand was all back rows.  He Set three back rows and a Monster.  I drew Solemn Judgment and Set it along with two more back rows.  He summoned Cerato, which I banished with Bottomless Trap Hole.  I drew and passed.  He summoned Vulcano and attacked directly, which I allowed.  I Special Summoned Cyber Dragon to run over his Vulcano and Set another back row.  He used Pot of Duality to grab MST and played Smashing Ground.  I Chained Compulsory Evacuation Device to save my Cyber Dragon (it was my only Monster...).  He Set the MST and ended.  I drew Mind Control and passed.  He Set another back row and ended.  I drew and summoned Scrap Beast, which he let through.  I then played the Mind Control, trying to steal what I thought was a Westlo.  It turned out to be Najasho when he tributed it for Enemy Controller!  He used Najasho's effect to grab Vulcano from his deck and revive the other Vulcano.  I Special Summoned the Cyber Dragon and ran over the Vulcano he brought out with Najasho.  He tried to banish Cyber Dragon with Dimensional Prison, but I flipped Royal Decree to negate.  He Chained his Set MST, and I negated with Solemn Judgment.  So I killed his Vulcano, then Set a card and took back my Scrap Beast.  He summoned another Najasho, then used Evo-Force.  That let him get Evolsaur Diplo with Evo-Force's effect.  Diplo targeted my MST, which I Chained to destroy one of his Traps, then Najasho resolved, grabbing him Cerato.  He overlaid Vulcano and Diplo to make Evolzar Laggia, and when he tried to end his Main Phase, I used Effect Veiler on his Cerato.  He attacked my Scrap Beast with Cerato and my Cyber Dragon with Laggia.  I drew and Set Worm Yagan (hurrah!).  He attacked it with Cerato, and I bounced his Laggia; I guess he was expecting Scrap Goblin.  I drew Scrapstorm and Set Heavy Storm.  He attacked with Cerato and I used Book of Moon.  I topped Scrapyard and used it to search Scrap Beast.  Then, I used my Set Heavy Storm to destroy his four back rows, my Royal Decree, and Set Dimensional Prison.  He had Starlight Road down, but Decree preventing him from using it.  I then ran over his Cerato with my Scrap Beast and contemplated playing the Scrapstorm.  I just decided to Set it and ended.  He drew and Set a back row.  I drew Worm Xex and decided to use the Scrapstorm.  I got back Scrap Chimera and drew Fiendish Chain off of the Scrapstorm.  I summoned Worm Xex, but he banished it with Bottomless Trap Hole, so I Set Fiendish Chain.  He topped a card and Set it.  I summoned Scrap Dragon with Scrap Chimera, then attempted to destroy his Set card by destroying my Fiendish Chain, but he Chained his Compulsory Evacuation Device!  I then used Monster Reborn on my Cyber Dragon and attacked him.  He drew dead (Evo-Force, I believe) and passed.  I attacked again and passed.  He drew another dead card and scooped.
-Duel 3: He went first with three Set back rows and a Set Monster.  I expected a Westlo, again, so I dropped my Dark Hole.  He negated with Solemn Judgment, confirming my suspicions.  So, I made a Worm Xex play and successfully revived Worm Yagan.  I Set a few back rows and ended.  He Flip Summoned his Westlo, and I destroyed it with Solemn Warning.  He then Normal Summoned a Cerato and ran over my Worm Xex.  I Flip Summoned Worm Yagan and bounced his Cerato.  I then summoned Scrap Beast, which he let through.  Not wanting to lose a Synchro to Compulsory Evacuation Device again, I made Thought Ruler Archfiend.  It attacked directly, dropping him to 1300 LP, and I ended.  He Set a Monster and ended.  I topped Mind Control and played it immediately.  "Do I win?"  Yes, yes I do.  Mind Control's just that broken.

Round 3: vs Six Samurai - XOX

This was my Round 3 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: He went first, opening with two United and Dojo.  He summoned Shinai and Mizuho, drawing four off of his Uniteds and Special Summoning Kagemusha from Dojo.  He made Shi En using the Kagemusha and Shinai, then Set two back rows.  I had a hand that would've been great if I had went first, but alas, I just Set Worm Yagan, Solemn Warning, Bottomless Trap Hole, and Dark Hole.  He Special Summoned Kizan, and I flipped Bottomless, thinking that having the other back rows would scare him into not negating with Shi En.  He did consider his options for a bit, then decided to negate with Shi En's effect.  He then tributed the Shi En with Mizuho's effect to destroy my Solemn Warning, then revived the Shi En with Monster Reborn!  He Normal Summoned another Mizuho and tributed the other Mizuho to destroy my Worm Yagan.  He attacked with everything and Set another back row.  I played Scrapyard to bait Shi En's negation, and he did negate it.  So, I flipped my Dark Hole, but the card he had just Set was Musakani Magatama!  I didn't have anything left, so I lost on the next turn.
-Duel 2: I don't even remember how I won this duel.  I think that he opened with a lackluster hand of Shinai and Grandmaster and wasn't really able to accomplish anything.
-Duel 3: He went first with Spirit of the Six Samurai and Kizan, equipping Spirit to Kizan.  He then Set one back row and ended.  My hand was Dust Tornado, Royal Decree, Solemn Judgment, Gozen Match, Book of Moon, and Scrap Beast.  Going first would've been nice, but I could still handle this, and I handled this by Setting my whole hand.  He attempted to Special Summon the attached Spirit, and I Chained Dust Tornado to destroy his Set Solemn Judgment.  Then, he summoned Shinai, and I flipped Gozen Match, forcing him to send the Shinai to the Graveyard.  He attacked with Kizan, and I flipped Book of Moon.  He then attacked with the Spirit ("attack the Worm Yagan!"), but it was a Scrap Beast, so he took 800 damage.  He then Set a couple back rows and ended.  I drew Cyber Dragon and attacked the Kizan with Scrap Beast.  He played Monster Reborn on the Kizan, and I negated it with Solemn Judgment (he wouldn't have used Monster Reborn unless he had no other options).  He then flipped Cunning of the Six Samurai to trade his Spirit for Kizan, letting him run over my Scrap Beast.  I drew Dimensional Prison (a little late...) and Set it to banish his Kizan when he attacked.  On his next turn, he summoned Mizuho to attack and drop me to 2200 LP.  I drew a Mind Control and flipped Royal Decree before Special Summoning Cyber Dragon.  It was my only Monster, so if he used Solemn Warning, I would've been dead in two turns.  I ran over the Mizuho and ended.  He summoned another Mizuho and another Kizan, tributing the Kizan to destroy my Cyber Dragon and attack directly.  I drew another Decree and Set it.  He summoned Naturia Beast with Dojo, Kizan, and Shien's Squire, then attacked with Mizuho for game.  I flipped my second Decree, and he was confused, but eventually realized that I was just messing with him.  Yeah, it's hard to slay Samurai when I only draw two Monsters.  Oh well, it happens.

Round 4: vs Six Samurai - OXO

This was a new guy, but I knew what he was running since he lost a mirror match in Round 1 and I was sitting next to him.

-Duel 1: He went first and opened with two Set back rows.  I summoned Zephyros and poked for 1600 damage.  I then Set some back rows and ended.  He Set more back rows and ended.  I summoned Scrap Beast, and he activated Maxx "C".  Whatever, I wasn't going to Synchro or Xyz, so he just gave me a free card.  I attacked with both Monsters to drop him to 3200 LP.  He Set another card and ended.  I drew and summoned another Scrap Beast and attacked with it.  He flipped Mirror Force, and I flipped Solemn Judgment.  He negated with his own Judgment, dropping down to 1600 LP.  So I revived a Scrap Beast with Call of the Haunted, but he flipped Book of Moon, so I Chained Scrapstorm.  I sent Scrap Chimera to the Graveyard, and he scooped before I even finished resolving Scrapstorm (not because he knew what Scraps did, but because his other two Set cards were dead Solemn Warnings, and I guess that the rest of his cards were also useless).
-Duel 2: This duel went on for a while.  It was mainly me not having Monsters and him swarming but being too afraid to attack.  I just had a Gozen Match and a Set back row, and he was too afraid to attack with his Shi En because he thought I would drop Gorz.  I was like, whatever, and just stopped Setting cards because he wasn't going to attack me.  However, once I reached the hand limit, I had to start Setting stuff, and that stuff included Fiendish Chain and Dust Tornado, letting me bait Shi En's negation and negate it with Fiendish Chain.  Regardless, I had a Set Scrap Goblin, and he had managed to summon Colossal Fighter after destroying my Gozen Match, but he was still too afraid to attack for some reason.  So I resolved another Gozen Match to prevent any more shenanigans and sat behind that.  I tried to use Compulsory Evacuation Device on his Colossal Fighter, but he negated with Solemn Judgment.  So I summoned Scrap Chimera to go with the Goblin, but he had Effect Veiler.  I Set some more back row, but he made Naturia Barkion with Kagemusha and Kizan to lock down my Traps after destroying my second Gozen Match.  And with that, his Colossal Fighter became big enough to run over my Scrap Chimera for game.  He really could've won so much earlier, since he drew really well...
-Duel 3: I started with a Set Scrap Beast (I had two in hand...) and two back rows.  He Special Summoned Elder, then Kagemusha using Asceticism.  He Special Summoned Kizan before Synchro Summoning Shi En, which I negated with Solemn Warning.  He then Normal Summoned a second Kizan and overlaid for Blade Armor Ninja.  I Chained Fiendish Chain to its effect, and he ended after Setting one back row.  I Normal Summoned my second Scrap Beast and Flip Summoned the first one.  I considered whether I should make Utopia or Maestroke.  Utopia could run over his Blade Armor Ninja easily, but I kind of wanted to keep it for later in case I needed to make Utopia Ray.  I decided that summoning Utopia was the better play (if I used Maestroke and he somehow stopped its attack, his Blade Armor Ninja would've been free of Fiendish Chain).  It didn't matter, since he flipped Solemn Warning.  I Set another back row and ended.  He attacked me with something random, (Mizuho, I think) and switched his Blade Armor Ninja to Defense Position.  I Special Summoned Cyber Dragon and Normal Summoned Scrap Chimera.  He negated with Effect Veiler, so I just ran over both of his Monsters and ended.  He wasn't able to do much from there, and using Scrapyard, I was able to fetch a Scrap Goblin and Synchro Summon Scrap Dragon.  With Scrap Dragon and my Set Gozen Match, he wasn't able to make a comeback.

So, I went 3-1, and since my tie-breakers ended up being pretty good, I got 2nd place.  I got a neat double deck box that can fit Magic-sized cards that came with three dividers.  The design isn't that nice, but it was better than the one with the Magic the Gathering design on it.  This deck box will be used for my Kaijudo deck(s) once the game comes out.  That's right, every week, I've been amassing supplies so that I'll be ready for Kaijudo.  This week, it's a deck box; last week, it was sleeves; next week, I'll be at a Regional, so I won't be getting anything for Kaijudo...

I also got some clear Magic-sized sleeves that I'll use to quintuple-layer my sleeves once Aki gets the Yu-Gi-Oh Zexal sleeves from Japan.  The Zexal sleeves are 63 mm wide, meaning that they will fit between the 62 mm wide Player's Choice sleeves and the 64 mm wide "Just Size" clear sleeves (also from Japan, but I've had these for a while).

Also, I was able to get a bunch of cool Duel Terminal cards from Yugilo.  In addition to some cool DT Commons like Gem-Knight Iolite, Mystic Tomato, and Elemental HERO Voltic, I got some holos, like Evigishki Merrowgeist and Gem-Knight Pearl!  Now I won't have to go looking for a janky Rare Gem-Knight Pearl before the Regional to put in my Extra Deck, and I also have the blindingly shiny DT Super Rare version!  And while the Hidden Arsenal 5 pack I got had no Gishki cards in it, Yugilo also gave me three DT Gishki Aquamirrors!

Of course, I wouldn't just take these cards without giving him anything in return, so I gave him a bunch of cards for, and helped him build, his new Junk/Diva/whatever deck.  He ended up going 3-1 today, losing only to AquaBass, who himself got 3rd place.  My Round 3 opponent ended up going undefeated and getting 1st place.  My Round 2 opponent also went 3-1, so it seems as though the regulars dominated the tournament today.

So yeah, it ended up being a pretty good day at locals, and I had a lot of fun dueling against Evols for the first time.  Getting the Gem-Knight Pearl was also really cool.  The only bad thing was that I wanted to practice against Dino Rabbit for Regionals next weekend, but one of the Dino Rabbit players switched to Chaos Dragons (he's a net-decker...) and the other one, JB, wasn't there today.

Oh well.  I'm not expecting to do that well at Regionals.  It'd be nice, but I already have my invite, which is going to go to waste anyway, and it'd be quite difficult to Top 8 at a Regional with hundreds of players.  I may just do Battle Pack tournaments, but if they use the same format as in YCS Philadelphia (open 10 packs, write all 50 cards on a deck list, then swap pools with another random person), then I might decide against it.  Even though that format is supposed to combat cheating, it introduces another way to cheat (stealing good cards from your pool and putting in bad cards before swapping).

7 comments:

  1. Yeah, next time, I'm winning the tournament, lol. Thanks for giving me all those cards and helping me with my deck. I'm thinking about going to my all-monsters now that you gave me the 3x gallis the star beast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you could go back to all-Monsters if you want. But since this new Junk/Diva deck did so well at the tournament today, maybe you should stick with it. You'll improve much faster as a player if you stick to one deck instead of switching every week.

      Delete
    2. Hey Yugilo its Alfredo. That Junk deck you had oon Thursday was pretty sick. Stick with it! As for me I am going with AHL Hero Beat. I was gonna go with Chaos Dragons but I like my HEROes better! See ya soon. cool blog here btw. Like how you are very descriptive with your matches not just "did blah shenanigans and won. lol" Keep up the god work both of ya!

      Delete
    3. Why you no slay enough samurais! Hold on to your Six Sammy killer title! All hail the Six Sam slayer! Fear him Shi-en.

      Delete
    4. Actually, this is only the fourth time I've lost a match to Six Samurai since they were released, and one of those times was before Gateway of the Six was Limited. So, I'm pretty sure my title is well deserved, LOL.

      Delete
  2. can you give me your decklist? Im really interested to using your deck in DN,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I replied to your comment asking the same question on my previous tournament report.

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.