Saturday, January 21, 2012

Tournament Report 1/21/12

So, I went to locals today with my T.G. Zombies again.  I'm still trying to decide about which deck to use once Inzektors become legal (next week...), but I felt that since the two Dino Rabbit players at locals switched to Tour Guide Tengu Plants, uh I mean "Synchrocentric", T.G. Zombies would be the right choice for today.

There were quite a few regulars today, but there were also a lot of little children.

Round 1: vs Malefic Skill Drain

I was paired up against vadangchoinga.

-Duel 1: He flipped Skill Drain early, and after Royal Tributing the T.G. Warwolf that I needed to follow up my Heavy Storm, and I was forced to make a Utopia against his Ancient Gear Gadjiltron Dragon.  I held out for a few turns, but I just drew a Bottomless Trap Hole and Mystical Space Typhoon during that time, so I wasn't able to deal with his Monster.
-Duel 2: I drew an all-Monster hand, but it included two T.G. Strikers, so it was okay.  However, I decided to pass and bluff Gorz.  He summoned King Tiger Wanghu and Set three back rows.  From there, it was a lot of draw-pass-draw-pass.  After a little while, forced his Skill Drain so that I could summon my T.G.'s in spite of his Wanghu, then some back row removal to deal with the Skill Drain once I had made my Synchro Summon plays.  He wasn't able to deal with the resulting swarm.
-Duel 3: He opened with Ancient Gear Gadjiltron Dragon, Necrovalley, and four back rows.  Those back rows were Skill Drain, Safe Zone, Dark Bribe, and Starlight Road.  After flipping Skill Drain, he drew into Malefic Cyber End Dragon, and I couldn't do anything to protect myself from all of his big Monsters.

Round 2: vs Newbie Dragunity Blackwings

He didn't even have Dragunity Phalanx; he just used Dux with Brandistock...

Round 3: vs "Synchrocentric"

This was my Round 2 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: He opened with Tour Guide for Sangan.  I killed the Tour Guide with a Goblin Zombie, then used Book of Moon on the Reborn Tengu that he tried to attack with.  I used a Striker from my hand and his Tour Guide, courtesy of Monster Reborn, to make Trishula and banish his Sangan and run over his Tengu.  He just Set a Monster and ended.  I made Revived King Ha Des and ran over his Set Snowman Eater, then killed his second Tengu with Trishula.  He Special Summoned the third Tengu and used it, a Glow-Up Bulb off of One for One, and a Normal Summoned Spirit Reaper to make Scrap Dragon.  He revived Glow-Up Bulb, milling Dandylion (I wish I was that lucky...), then destroyed one of the Fluff Tokens with Scrap Dragon's effect to destroy my Trishula.  He made Formula Synchron, then attacked over my Ha Des.  I made my own Scrap Dragon, however, destroying my Creature Swap to destroy his Scrap Dragon.  I ran over his Formula Synchron and ended.  He made a huge misplay, using Monster Reborn on my Trishula instead of his own Scrap Dragon, which cost him the duel.  Also, I Creature Swapped his Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning to OTK him later...
-Duel 2: He sided in a lot of stuff like Fossil Dyna Pachycephalo, which made his own deck a lot slower.  It was able to kill my Brionac after I bounced his Leviathan Dragon with it, but I was able to continue attacking him with my Zombie Master.  I was able to slowly grind out some card advantage and take control of the duel.  I was simply beating him down with Goblin Zombie while he kept drawing nothing.

Round 4: vs Newbie Blackwings

I was paired down... great... By the way, this was my Round 2 opponent from this tournament, and I won 2-0.  He isn't really that bad of a player; he just doesn't have access to many cards, or so I would assume.

Round 5: vs "Synchrocentric"

This was my Round 4 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: I went first and just Set two back rows.  He opened with Tour Guide into Sangan and attacked with the Tour Guide.  Reinforce Truth brought out T.G. Striker, which he attacked over, letting me search Warwolf in the End Phase.  I used Armageddon Knight to dump Plaguespreader Zombie, then revived it with its own effect and Special Summoned Warwolf to make Trishula.  Even though Trishula's effect was negated by Effect Veiler, I realized that Armageddon Knight isn't as much of a filler card as I thought it was.  It actually has its own specific uses.  Anyways, back to the duel... I attacked over his Tour Guide, then he played Dark Hole to grab Debris Dragon with the Sangan.  He summoned Reborn Tengu and attacked directly.  I Set Sangan and ended.  He attacked it with the Tengu, letting me search another Warwolf.  He Set a Monster and ended.  I used Reinforcement of the Army to grab Striker, then Special Summoned it and the Warwolf in Attack Position.  I tributed Warwolf to summon Caius and banish his Set Dandylion, then attacked over the Tengu.  He didn't misplay, which is what I was hoping for, and summoned the second Tengu in Attack Position.  That left me to Synchro Summon Stardust Dragon and Set a second back row.  He summoned Debris Dragon to revive Effect Veiler, then used Mind Control on my Stardust Dragon.  I was confused why he did that.  Could he have Heavy Storm?  No, he would've made that play first to destroy my two back rows.  Would he be able to make Shooting Star Dragon?  No, his Dandylion was banished.  After a bit of thinking, he used Effect Veiler and Reborn Tengu to Synchro Summon T.G. Hyper Librarian.  He got the third Tengu, then tried to Synchro Summon Scrap Dragon with Debris Dragon and the Tengu.  I pointed out that he couldn't use Debris Dragon as a Synchro Material if any of the other Monsters were Level 4.  He then used Foolish Burial to send Glow-Up Bulb to the Graveyard and revived it to Synchro Summon Catastor with it and the Tengu.  He banished a Light and a Dark from his Graveyard for BLS, but I activated Bottomless Trap Hole.  He tried to use Stardust Dragon to negate, but I pointed out that he couldn't tribute it due to Mind Control.  I Chained my MST to destroy my Bottomless Trap Hole and clear my field.  He recognized that this would let me drop Gorz, but attacked with Debris Dragon anyway.  I dropped Gorz at that, and the Token died to Catastor's attack.  I got back my Stardust Dragon at the end of his turn.  I attacked over his Hyper Librarian and Catastor with Gorz and Stardust Dragon, then Set Goblin Zombie.  He summoned Tour Guide, grabbing the last Tour Guide, then overlaid for Leviair.  Leviair's effect brought back Dandylion, which he tuned the Debris Dragon to to make Black Rose Dragon and Special Summon Fluff Tokens.  He used its effect to flip my Goblin Zombie and zero its ATK.  He attacked it, letting me grab Zombie Master, and ended.  I summoned Zombie Master and sent another Goblin Zombie from my hand to the Graveyard to revive it.  He Chained Maxx "C", hindering my plans.  I was going to kill all of his Monsters except Leviair, then steal it with Creature Swap and bring back my Plaguespreader Zombie, but I didn't want to let him draw any more.  So, I just ran over his whole field with my Monsters.  I was able to kill him in a few turns, pushing through his Gorz.
-Duel 2: He opened with a Set Sangan and a back row.  I Set my own Sangan.  He Tribute Summoned Caius, banishing my Sangan and searching Tour Guide.  I Special Summoned Tragoedia when he attacked, and he ended.  I drew to five cards and attacked over his Caius.  I then Set MST and ended.  He Special Summoned Cyber Dragon and tributed that for another Caius, banishing my Tragoedia and attacking directly. I destroyed his back row with my Set MST, then made a Gaia Knight, the Force of Earth with Striker and Goblin Zombie to run over his Caius.  He summoned Tour Guide and made Wind-Up Zenmaines.  I revived my T.G. Striker with Call of the Haunted, then summoned Zombie Master and sent Spirit Reaper to the Graveyard to Special Summon it.  That let me make Trishula, and he scooped, revealing his hand of two copies of Reborn Tengu and a Glow-Up Bulb.

So, I went 4-1 and got 6th place.  Unfortunately, only Top 4 get store credit, so that was sad.  Oh well, I didn't really need it...

Anyway, I was able to make quite a few trades after the tournament, getting an Evolzar Laggia, an Ultra Rare Test Tiger, a third Secret Rare Gallis the Star Beast, three Super Rare Jurrac Guaiba, another Chaos Trap Hole (if you still want some, sickpenguin, I now have enough to trade), a third Duel Terminal Instant Fusion, and some other cards.  Also, my Round 1 opponent from this tournament gave me an Ultra Rare Number C39: Utopia Ray.  Apparently, he was planning on getting a Ghost Rare one, and he pulled the Ultra Rare one today after winning the tournament.  Awesome, now I'll have it if I decide to use Scraps next weekend.

But that's the thing.  Should I use Scraps next weekend?  Inzektors won't completely overtake my locals, for sure, but many of the richer people will probably decide to play it.  The thing is that I would be depending on Traps to deal with their swarms if I use Scraps.  With T.G. Zombies, I can just swarm them back and such.  However, my other match-ups would be somewhat more difficult due to the additional Side Deck hate.  As I've said before, cards that are going to be used against Inzektors, like Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror and Macro Cosmos, also happen to work well against my T.G. Zombies.  So I'll either have to side against people's Side Decks even more (something like siding a third Dust Tornado and Trap Stuns), or I'll have to use a different deck.  I suppose that we shall see...

3 comments:

  1. thank you lightgrunty, but i have already acquired two copies of chaos trap hole. i have no desire for a third. also, i find it humorous that you include me in your post in a manner that assumes i read your blog consistently. your assumption is correct. that is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @sickpenguin

    Well, whenever we talk, you always show that you have read my blog, so of course I would make such an assumption.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sickpenguin is lame.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.