Saturday, January 28, 2012

Tournament Report 1/28/12

So, as usual, I decided to go to locals today.  But, I decided to use neither my T.G. Zombies nor my Scraps.  I used a Nordic Beast deck with Deep Sea Diva.  Yeah, that's right.

There were about 22 players, and more than half were regulars, so that was good.

Round 1: vs Yusei Synchro

Um, he used Unknown Synchron and Boost Warrior to make Formula Synchron without using up his Normal Summon.  That was pretty cool.  But, I just Trishula'd him each game using Deep Sea Diva, Lost Blue Breaker, and a Level 4.  It wasn't too eventful.

Round 2: vs Six Samurai

This was my Round 1 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: He opened with Kagemusha and Kizan into Naturia Barkion, then Set a card.  Mystical Space Typhoon destroyed his Set card, and I Special Summoned Guldfaxe and Normal Summoned Reborn Tengu.  That made Scrap Dragon, letting me run over his Barkion and attack directly with the second Tengu.  Unfortunately, I lost my Scrap Dragon to a Dimensional Prison, and his Irou ripped through my Set Monsters.  He also had a Compulsory Evacuation Device to bounce the Tanngrisnir (white goat) that I Normal Summoned to stall.
-Duel 2: I started with a Set Super-Nimble Mega Hamster.  He summoned Spirit of the Six Samurai and Grandmaster, equipping the former to the latter and attacking my Hamster.  I got Tanngnjostr (black goat), and he Set two cards.  I Flip Summoned Tanngnjostr for its effect, getting Guldfaxe.  I Synchro Summoned Black Rose Dragon to destroy every card on the field, and he got back his Grandmaster.  From there, I was able to keep control of the duel pretty well.  He used Solemn Warning on my Scrap Dragon, but it only prevented him from stealing it with Monster Reborn later in the duel.
-Duel 3: He started with Elder and Asceticism, making Shi En.  He then summoned Grandmaster and ended.  I Special Summoned Guldfaxe and Normal Summoned Reborn Tengu, making Scrap Dragon.  I used Scrap Dragon's effect, targeting my second Tengu and Shi En.  He destroyed Grandmaster to protect Shi En, and I attacked over it with Scrap Dragon, then directly with Tengu.  After a while, he was able to clear out my field, then summon Kizan and Grandmaster and equip the Grandmaster with another Spirit.  I then summoned Colossal Fighter and Number 17: Leviathan Dragon to get rid of the Grandmaster once more.  He couldn't get over the Colossal Fighter, so I was able to win from there.

Round 3: vs T.G. Plants

This was my Round 3 opponent from this tournament.  Apparently, he switched out the Zombies for T.G.'s.

-Duel 1: This duel went on for about half an hour.  I was in control of the duel for the whole time, but I was just wearing him down.  He literally ran out of Monsters by the end of the duel; he was lucky to draw Reinforcement of the Army before he drew his last Monster, which just happened to be Marauding Captain.  Using his last three Monsters, T.G. Striker, Warwolf, and the Marauding Captain, he made a Scrap Dragon to destroy my Scrap Dragon.  I cleared the field with Dark Hole and attacked a couple times with Guldfaxe to win.
-Duel 2: He summoned Naturia Beast backed by Horn of the Phantom Beast.  All I drew were Spells and Effect Veilers, so I slowly died.
-Duel 3: Since the first duel took so long, this would be sudden death.  I started with Deep Sea Diva to make Gachi Gachi Gantetsu.  He used T.G. Striker and Marauding Captain to make Naturia Beast, then Set a couple cards and ended.  I Set a Reborn Tengu and a Torrential Tribute and ended.  He Set a Monster and ended.  I summoned Guldfaxe and Flip Summoned Reborn Tengu.  I Synchro Summoned Scrap Dragon and Special Summoned my second Tengu in Defense Position.  I used Scrap Dragon's effect, targeting his Set Mirror Force and my Tengu.  The third Tengu was in my hand, so that was sad.  Either way, Scrap Dragon attacked into Dimensional Prison and I ended my turn.  He summoned Effect Veiler and Synchro Summoned Brionac.  I used my own Effect Veiler to negate its effect, so he just attacked my Gachi Gachi Gantetsu to detach an Xyz Material.  I Normal Summoned my third Reborn Tengu and flipped Torrential Tribute.  I switched Gantetsu to Attack Position and attacked for game.

Round 4: vs Inzektors

This was my Round 5 opponent from this tournament.  There was one other undefeated player, but he was paired down and lost, so this ended up being the finals.

-Duel 1: He sent a Hornet to the Graveyard with Foolish Burial and Set a Monster and a back row.  I summoned Reborn Tengu, Set a couple cards, and ended my turn.  He hit my Torrential Tribute during the End Phase with his MST.  He tributed his Set Sangan for Inzektor Giga-Mantis and searched for a Dragonfly.  He attacked my Tengu and I brought out the second one.  I drew the third Tengu, then summoned Deep Sea Diva to grab Lost Blue Breaker.  That let me make Trishula, banishing his Giga-Mantis, the Hornet in his Graveyard, and a Hornet from his hand.  He drew Armageddon Knight and used it to send the third Hornet to the Graveyard.  I summoned the third Tengu and pushed for damage.  He summoned Inzektor Dragonfly, equipped it with Hornet, and sent Hornet to the Graveyard to target my Trishula.  I Chained Enemy Controller, tributing Trishula to steal his Dragonfly and prevent him from getting its Special Summon effect.  He merely Set a card and ended.  I ran over the Dragonfly with my Tengu and Set a Super-Nimble Mega Hamster.  The last card in his hand was another Dragonfly, so I lost...
-Duel 2: I opened with a Set Sangan and two back rows.  He summoned Tour Guide, grabbed a second Tour Guide, then made Wind-Up Zenmaines.  He Set a card and ended his turn.  I drew a second MST (I had one Set), and ended.  He drew and Set a Monster.  I drew, used my Set MST to destroy his Set Solemn Judgment, then Set another back row.  He drew and passed.  I Set Super-Nimble Mega Hamster. He summoned Mystic Tomato and attacked my Hamster, letting me Special Summon Tanngnjostr (black goat).  I flipped Tanngnjostr to Special Summon Guldfaxe, then flipped Sangan so that I could Synchro Summon Thor and search Effect Veiler.  I summoned a second Guldfaxe from my hand and used it and the Hamster to Synchro Summon Scrap Dragon.  Scrap Dragon destroyed my Set Gleipnir, which I Chained to grab another Tanngnjostr, and his Mystic Tomato.  I activated Thor's effect to negate Zenmaines' effect, then ran over it with Scrap Dragon.  Thor destroyed his Set Sangan, which he used to grab Hornet.  He summoned Centipede and equipped it with Hornet, then sent Hornet to the Graveyard to destroy my Set Torrential Tribute and search for Dragonfly.  He then used his Centipede and my Guldfaxe (courtesy of Monster Reborn) to make Black Rose Dragon.  He assumed that I would negate Black Rose Dragon's effect with my Effect Veiler, but I let it through. In the End Phase, I revived Thor with its own effect, burning him for 800 damage.  I summoned Lost Blue Breaker from my hand and used Monster Reborn on Scrap Dragon to go for game.
-Duel 3: He opened with Trap Dustshoot to send away my Super-Nimble Mega Hamster, then he destroyed my Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror with MST.  I couldn't do anything with the rest of my hand, so I just stalled for a while until he killed me with a swarm of Inzektors.

So, I ended up going 3-1 and got 3rd place.  At least I got some store credit, I suppose.  As usual, I didn't pull anything good from my Turbo Pack 7, and I only pulled a ZW - Unicorn Spear from the ORCS pack I bought using the store credit.

So yeah, my Nordic deck did pretty well today, considering I just made it the night before.  I don't really like how it doesn't play many Traps, but I suppose that's okay since the Monsters defend themselves pretty well.  Either way, I'll see if I can find some ways to improve the deck, and especially the Extra Deck, since it's really cramped.

1 comment:

  1. That guy in round 3 threw away the game in sudden death when he didnt veiler your diva...oh well his loss. You were right about inzectors using decree/ trap stun, if you dont have the veil you lose

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.