Saturday, January 7, 2012

Tournament Report 1/6/12

So, first tournament of the year.  I kind of wanted to post an end of the year thing for 2011, but it didn't feel important enough.  I'm probably going to talk about how the format was throughout the year as the ban list approaches.

Anyways, I decided to take my Scrap Worms to locals today.  I expected there to be quite a few Dino Rabbit and Six Samurai decks, and my Scrap Worm deck is supposed to have a good match-up against them.  It also can deal with all of the random stuff that people often play at locals fairly easily.

There were 31 players, including quite a few newbs.  A majority of the players were regulars, though, and that was good.

Round 1: vs Karakuri

Apparently, this was this guy's first tournament.  How sad.

-Duel 1: He opened with Meklord Army of Granel.  I opened with a Set Worm Yagan.  He summoned Ninishi and used it to summon Kuick, Synchro Summoning Burei.  Burei's effect got Saizan, which was tuned to the Granel for Stardust Dragon.  He then used Burei's effect to flip my Yagan, which bounced his Stardust Dragon.  I proceeded to buy a couple of turns with Scrap Goblin and Fiendish Chain before making a Scrap Orthros/Scrapstorm play, letting me Normal Summon Scrap Chimera to make a Scrap Dragon to destroy his field with.  He made another small push with his Karakuri to get rid of my Scrap Dragon, but I made another one with a second Chimera and destroyed his field again.  He was top-decking after that and couldn't recover.
-Duel 2: He pushed through a Maxx "C" giving me four cards.  He kind of had to, since he would've had to attack my Monsters with his wienies like Ninishi and Inashichi due to their Karakuri Effects.  Too bad for him, though, since that Maxx "C" gave me a bunch of options of how to deal with his swarm.  I decided on fusing my Cyber Dragon with his Burei for Chimeratech Fortress Dragon, then Mind Controlling his Naturia Barkion to go with my Scrap Goblin and make Scrap Twin Dragon.  With only a couple cards left, he couldn't break through my field, which included three back rows.

Round 2: vs Gravekeeper's

Really...?  People still play this...?  This guy was kind of annoying, too...

-Duel 1: He wasted all of his back rows for no reason (Compulsory Evacuation Device on my Scrap Beast that was attacking directly while he had 8000 LP...twice...).  That let me finish him fairly easily with a Scrap Twin Dragon.
-Duel 2: I had control of the duel, but I couldn't capitalize because I didn't have any Scrap Tuners.  So we just sat there for the longest time until I drew into every single Scrap Tuner I had (I had a dead Scrapyard, my third Scrapyard, at the end of the duel because I had used all of my Tuners...).  In the end, he used Heavy Storm on my four back rows and his four back rows and Necrovalley.  He proceeded to use Gravekeeper's Stele to grab Spy and Assailant, then Set the Assailant.  His reasoning was that I wouldn't expect him to have Set Assailant.  Obviously not, but that still doesn't make it even a remotely good play.  I dropped Cyber Dragon, Scrap Chimera, and a topped Mind Control to go for game.  I still advocate the banning of Mind Control.

Round 3: vs Dimensional Eatos

Really...?  This is even more obscure than Gravekeeper's...

-Duel 1: I started with a Set Worm Yagan.  He opened with three back rows, a Guardian Eatos, and a D.D. Survivor.  He used the Survivor to attack, and I bounced the Eatos.  He resummoned it and ended.  I summoned Worm Xex and sent the second Yagan to the Graveyard from my deck.  I attacked the D.D. Survivor with Xex, but it got banished by Dimensional Prison.  I didn't have any back rows (I opened with two Effect Veilers...), so I was just kind of sitting there.  I got to use a Veiler to negate the effect of his Spirit Reaper, at least.  On my next turn, I summoned Scrap Beast, attacked the Reaper, and Set a Scrapstorm.  I had to negate Reaper's effect once again with my second Effect Veiler, and I used my Scrapstorm to grab Chimera.  The resulting Scrap Dragon was able to take control of the duel after I forced out his Solemn Judgment with my Heavy Storm.
-Duel 2: He opened with Eatos, Breaker the Magical Warrior, and a couple of back rows.  I summoned Worm Xex, and he negated its effect with Skill Drain.  I was fine with that, since it let me run over the Breaker.  I Set two back rows and ended.  He blind MST'd my Set Forbidden Lance, which I Chained to weaken Eatos.  He then summoned Barbaros which I had to use Fiendish Chain on.  I summoned Scrap Beast to Synchro Summon Colossal Fighter, but he had Solemn Warning to negate its summon.  I Set the Dust Tornado I had just drawn and ended.  He tributed Barbaros for Caius the Shadow Monarch, then attacked with both Caius and Eatos directly.  I drew and played Dark Hole, then attacked directly with Scrap Beast.  All he had left was a dead Caius in hand, so he couldn't do much to stop me.

Round 4: vs Newbie Dark Worlds

This was my Round 4 opponent from this tournament.  He was still playing junk like Forced Requisition, but he also had expensive cards like Dark Smog and Fabled Raven, so it would still be a, uh, tough match...

-Duel 1: He went off with Card Destruction, The Gates of Dark World, and Fabled Raven, and I died in two turns.  I considered scooping strategically, as he had only seen the Worm side of my deck up to that point, but I still had a slim chance of winning.  I still ended up losing, though...
-Duel 2: He didn't draw many discard outlets, only a lone Gates.  Two pokes from Utopia and an attack from his own Grapha, courtesy of Monster Reborn, was enough to beat him.  It's neat, as that Utopia was free, thanks to Worm Xex, and I was able to use its effect to negate its own attack.  He basically told me that he had Gorz, since he Heavy Stormed his own two back rows while I only had one Trap Set and promptly ended his turn, so I used Utopia's effect on itself to get a Monster into the Graveyard for Monster Reborn, but it turns out that that wasn't necessary.  It's still cool, though.
-Duel 3: I don't remember exactly what happened, except that he kept drawing Dark World Monsters to go with his discard outlets.  Fortunately for me, he didn't draw his Graphas, so my Scrap Dragons were able to take him down without interference.  Honestly, this match was a lot closer than it should've been.  He didn't really have any idea what he was doing, but his deck was powerful enough to carry him through several duels.  If he had known was he was doing, he would've won without question.  This speaks to what this game has come to... But I'd rather not go into it right now.  Perhaps another post...

Round 5: vs Nordics

This was my Round 5 opponent from this tournament.  Yet again, it was the finals, and we agreed to a split.  We played for fun without siding.

-Duel 1: We were sitting there for a while, as I had drawn into both of my Worm Yagans, and he had drawn into multiple Nordic Tuners.  After a bit, he cleared out the field, then summoned Odin using Valkyrie of the Nordic Ascendant, banishing a Vanadis and Guldfaxe from his hand for its effect.  I used Bottomless Trap Hole, but he Chained Forbidden Lance.  I made a Number 39: Utopia in an attempt to stall out, but I didn't draw any more Monsters and died to Odin.  Number C39: Utopia Ray would've been quite helpful in this situation...
-Duel 2: He opened with the Valkyrie, banishing two Vanadis to make Odin.  Odin attacked into my Set Worm Yagan, and laughs ensued.  It should be pretty easy to tell who won just from that, but I ended up finishing him off with a couple Scrap Dragons.  If I hadn't played Nordics for a little while, I might have lost this duel, since playing Nordics allowed me to see which of his Set Monsters were Super-Nimble Mega Hamsters and which were Tanngnjostr of the Nordic Beasts, and I was able to make a game-breaking play using this knowledge.
-Duel 3: He Set two back rows and a Monster.  I used Heavy Storm, but he Chained Gleipnir, the Fetters of Fenrir to grab a Tanngnjostr (black goat) from his deck.  I summoned Scrap Beast and used Mind Control to take his Set Tanngrisnir (white goat).  I attacked with Scrap Beast, then Synchro Summoned Scrap Death Demon (that's Scrap Archfiend's Japanese name, and I personally like it quite a bit).  He Set one back row and a Monster and ended.  I made an Orthros/Scrapstorm play to get Scrap Chimera and make a Scrap Dragon.  I was able to destroy his field and grab back Scrap Chimera in the process, and he scooped next turn.  Apparently, he Set the wrong Trap Card on his previous turn; he meant to Set Solemn Warning, but Set Mirror Force instead.  Even though I had already used Heavy Storm, he didn't Set both because he had his own Heavy Storm in hand and wanted to use that later.

So, I went undefeated and got 1st place.  Yay, Scrap Worms!  They had the new Turbo Pack 7's, so I was able to get one.  As expected, I didn't pull anything that great.  Herald of Orange Light is nice, though.

I ended up spending my store credit on the Orient Dragon I put off getting for months.  Literally, three months.  I was going to get one at the Regional I went to on September 10, 2011, but I was too lazy to find someone with one for trade.  Soon after, I decided to use Splendid Rose instead, so I put it off even further.  But, now I have one, so yay.

I'll be going to locals once more tomorrow (really today, seeing as how I'm finishing this post at 2:40 AM...).  Aki with almost certainly be coming with me, so that's pretty cool.  So yeah...

5 comments:

  1. I like your posts, you're opinions are exactly like mine lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been interested in playing scraps, but I don't have a clue how to build a solid deck or how to play scraps. What do you think of varients with Tengu and Horn of Phantom Beast? Any tips or tricks I should know when trying to build scraps?

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous

    I personally don't like Reborn Tengu and Horn of the Phantom Beast. Reborn Tengu has let me down too many times in the past, and Horn of the Phantom Beast is too situational for me. It may have worked last format with Heavy Storm banned, but it's more risky this format.

    The main thing you should consider when building a Scrap deck is that it is best played as an anti-meta deck. Not anti-meta in the sense of running Stun cards like Doomcaliber Knight and Skill Drain, but anti-meta in the sense that it should be build to be able to deal with the top decks. For instance, for the last two formats, I used a build with a Worm engine. This gave me powerful beaters that helped me deal with Stun decks, but the Worms also helped counter faster decks like Six Samurai by bouncing Synchros. So, keep in mind what you would expect to be playing against when you decide on what non-Tuner engine to run.

    Oh, and make sure you run three Scrapyards and three Scrap Beasts. If you don't draw your Tuners, you lose. That's why all those people who play no Scrapyards and two Scrap Beasts, yet expect to draw their Scrap Tuners every duel lose all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool, thanks for the advice

    ReplyDelete
  5. You lucky that this realy awsome and smart player set the wrong trap or you would have been in toule ^^

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.