Sunday, December 18, 2011

Tournament Report 12/18/11

So, since I'm most likely going to be unable to go to locals next weekend, I decided to go today.  I was pretty disappointed with my T.G. Zombie deck, so I threw together my Scrap Worms to take to the tournament.

There were about 26 players with quite a few newbs.  Guess who I get to play first...

Round 1: vs Newbie Agent Fairies

He didn't even have Synchros...

Round 2: vs  Agent Fairies

-Duel 1: The initial Bottomless Trap Hole on his Venus forced him to fight an uphill battle.  After a couple turns, I ended up with a field of Steelswarm Roach and Scrap Dragon.  He couldn't get through the Roach , so I won.
-Duel 2: He started with a Set Herald of Orange Light.  I Set Worm Yagan, Scrapyard, and Bottomless Trap Hole.  He used Heavy Storm, then summoned Earth to search Venus.  He attacked, and I had to bounce the Earth with Yagan's effect.  I played the other Scrapyard I had to grab Scrap Beast and make Scrap Dragon.  It attacked over the Set Herald, and I Set a second Bottomless and a Dimensional Prison.  He destroyed my Scrap Dragon with Smashing Ground, and I got back Scrap Beast.  I used Bottomless Trap Hole on the Venus that he Normal Summoned, and he ended his turn.  I drew into Light-Imprisoning Mirror, and that let me lock down all of his effects while Scrap Beast continued to run over his wienies.  A Scrapstorm later let me turn Scrap Beast into a Scrap Dragon, and he couldn't get over it.

Round 3: vs Zombie Plants

This was my Round 4 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: I pushed through his floaters with my Scraps and Worm Yagan.  He couldn't deal with the resulting Scrap Dragon, so I was able to win fairly easily.
-Duel 2: He made a Lonefire Blossom play after using Foolish Burial on Dandylion.  That let him make a Trishula; I had Effect Veiler, but he had Book of Moon.  I lost all of the Scraps from both my hand and Graveyard, so I couldn't recover.
-Duel 3: I opened with a Worm Xex play and a Set Debunk.  He just Set a Monster.  I summoned Scrap Chimera and used it to attack over the Sangan, which I banished with Debunk.  Xex attacked into Gorz, but I bounced Gorz with Yagan, then overlaid my Worms for Utopia.  He crashed a Reborn Tengu into my Scrap Chimera, but didn't have much follow-up.  I ran over the next two Tengus with Utopia.  He held out with that Gorz in hand, but I had like four cards on him, so I didn't mind waiting.  Eventually, he Set a Dandylion and a Call of the Haunted.  I ran over the Dandylion with a Scrap Dragon, then killed a Token with Utopia.  He tributed the Token for Cyber Dragon, then attacked my Scrap Dragon with it.  I declined to negate with Utopia, and he used Book of Moon and Call of the Haunted to revive his Banisher of the Radiance.  My Scrap Dragon got banished, but I simply destroyed both of his Monsters next turn with Utopia and another Scrap Beast.  Mirror Force killed my Utopia, and we both started Setting Monsters.  I kept running over his wienies with Cyber Dragon, but I didn't want to let him drop Gorz.  After a few turns, though, I had gathered the necessary cards to OTK him.  I summoned a Scrap Chimera to make Scrap Dragon and destroy his lone Trap, then I Flip Summoned a Scrap Beast to go with the Worm Yagan I Monster Reborned to make Avenging Knight Parshath.  That pierced his Plaguespreader Zombie, letting Scrap Dragon finish him off before he could drop Gorz.  Yet another duel won by Avenging Knight Parshath.

Round 4: vs Dino Rabbits

This was my Round 4 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: I went first, but opened up with a hand full of Spells.  I used Scrapyard to get Scrap Beast, summoned it, and Set Scrapstorm and Mystical Space Typhoon.  He hit the former with his own MST, and I Chained it to grab my Scrap Chimera.  Then he used Gold Sarcophagus for Mind Control and summoned Sabersaurus.  He attacked directly and ended without a back row.  I summoned Scrap Dragon using Scrap Chimera and ran over his Sabersaurus.  He summoned Tour Guide to grab Sangan, then Set a Trap.  I used Scrap Dragon's effect, targeting my MST and his Sangan, then Chained the MST to destroy his Set Starlight Road.  He searched for a Rescue Rabbit, but it was too late.  I summoned Scrap Chimera to revive Scrap Beast, then Mind Controlled his Tour Guide to make Scrap Archfiend.  He was at 7100 LP, and I attacked with everything for 7200 damage.
-Duel 2: He opened with a Sabersaurus and two back rows.  I Special Summoned Cyber Dragon, ran over the Sabersaurus, then Set three Traps.  He hit my Dimensional Prison with an MST in my End Phase, then dropped Electric Virus to steal my Cyber Dragon.  He attacked with it, then tributed it for Caius the Shadow Monarch.  Caius' effect targeted my Fiendish Chain, so I Chained it to negate.  I couldn't do anything but summon a Scrap Chimera and Set Scrapstorm.  He summoned another Sabersaurus and attacked, forcing me to use Scrapstorm; I sent Scrap Beast to the Graveyard and took a direct attack.  I was able to make Colossal Fighter using Cyber Dragon and Scrap Goblin on the following turn to run over the Sabersaurus, but he dropped Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning to banish it.  I topped Scrap Chimera and used it to make Scrap Dragon.  I destroyed Fiendish Chain and the BLS with its effect, then ran over Caius.  He topped a second Electric Virus to get rid of my Scrap Dragon and my Set MST, leaving me at 200 LP.  I drew and Set Maxx "C".  He drew Rai-Oh and beat me down with it.  I drew a Worm Xex, meaning that I could've had a small chance to come back, but I decided to scoop so that he didn't see the Worms.
-Duel 3: I opened with all three Worm Xex and a Worm Yagan...  Opening with three Xex is okay, but opening the Yagan preventing me from making a second Worm Xex play after he used Solemn Warning to negate the Flip Summon of my Special Summoned Worm Yagan.  So, I died rather slowly to some beatdown from Rai-Oh and Sabersaurus for a while.  He eventually decided to Mind Control my Set Worm Yagan after I used the third Worm Xex to revive it and overlaid it with his Sabersaurus to make a Steelswarm Roach.  I was able to banish the Rai-Oh with Dimensional Prison, the first Trap I drew all game.  I drew Scrapyard, finally, but getting Scrap Beast in an attempt to make Scrap Dragon would be a waste against his Roach.  So, I grabbed Scrap Goblin and Set it.  He destroyed it by attacking with Roach, then another Rai-Oh.  From there, I decided to stall: I summoned Scrap Chimera to grab Scrap Goblin in Defense Position and ended.  He attacked both of my Monsters, dealing 200 damage, while I got back the Chimera using Goblin's effect.  I continued to stall like this for a while; even though I kind of expected to lose this duel, being able to make this kind of play with Chimera and Goblin made me feel glad that I was playing Scraps again.  Either way, he tributed his Rai-Oh for Caius after a while in an attempt to banish my Scrap Goblin, but I Veiled Caius' effect.  From there, I started to take 700 damage per turn with his Caius attacking over the Scrap Chimera.  When I was down to 300 LP, I drew Scrapstorm.  I made the Chimera/Goblin play and Set the Scrapstorm.  He attacked, but I destroyed my Chimera so that I wouldn't take the damage, also allowing me to set up my Scrap Beast for later.  Finally able to make an offensive play, I summoned Chimera and revived Beast.  Beast attacked his Set Sangan, and I used Debunk on its effect.  Chimera attacked over Roach with help from Forbidden Lance, and I decided to go into Utopia to protect myself and avoid Electric Virus.  It didn't matter what I made, though, since he dropped BLS to banish my Monster, then attacked directly with Caius for game.  I played the best I could with what I drew, but I guess it isn't enough sometimes.

Round 5: vs X-Sabers

This was my Round 1 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: He started with a Set Super-Nimble Mega Hamster and a couple back rows.  I made a Worm Xex play (if you haven't figured out by now, that means I Normal Summoned Worm Xex, sent Worm Yagan to the Graveyard, then revived Worm Yagan with its own effect) and attacked his Set Hamster, letting him grab X-Saber Airbellum.  I Set a couple of Traps and ended my turn.  He summoned XX-Saber Darksoul, and I decided to negate its summon with Solemn Warning.  He attacked my Set Worm Yagan, and I bounced the attacking Airbellum.  Then, he played Dark Hole and Set Trap Dustshoot.  I drew and lost Cyber Dragon with the rest of my hand being Scrapstorm, Effect Veiler, and Dark Hole.  I ended, and he summoned and attacked with Airbellum.  I flipped Dimensional Prison, but he negated it with Trap Stun.  I lost the Veiler from my hand and drew into Scrap Beast.  I destroyed Airbellum with Dark Hole and summoned and attacked with the Beast.  I Set Scrapstorm to finish out my turn.  He summoned and attacked with XX-Saber Emmersblade, and I used Scrapstorm.  I drew Forbidden Lance and grabbed Scrap Chimera from my Graveyard, then took the direct attack from Emmersblade.  I drew into Scrapyard, then made Scrap Dragon with Scrap Chimera.  Scrapyard got me Scrap Orthros which got my Chimera back to my hand.  I Set the Lance to destroy with Scrap Dragon's effect so that I could destroy Emmersblade.  I hesitated to attack against his lone back row, but decided to risk it.  He summoned XX-Saber Fulhelmknight and stalled behind that for a turn while I drew into Gorz.  He then flipped his Trap, Gottoms' Emergency Call, to revive Darksoul and Airbellum.  He tuned Fulhelmknight to Darksoul to make Brionac, then summoned a second Fulhelmknight.  He pitched his last card, X-Saber Pashuul, to bounce my Scrap Dragon.  He attacked with Airbellum, and I Chained Gorz.  I lost my other card, Scrap Chimera, but Gorz stopped him from killing me.  He declined to attack the Kaien Token with Brionac, and ended up forgetting his Darksoul search.  I attacked his Fulhelmknight with the Token to force its effect, then over the Brionac with Gorz.  I Set the Lance I drew and ended.  His draw was apparently of no help, as he decided to scoop.  Apparently, he had somewhere to go, since he just gave me the whole match.

So, I ended up going 4-1 and getting 3rd place.  Since today's tournament was a box tournament, X-1's got Hobby League cards.  I got a D.D. Warrior Lady, even though I'm never going to use it... And the Turbo Pack 6 wasn't completely horrible, since I pulled a Rare Stardust Dragon.

Even though I wasn't able to win, I was pretty happy that I was playing Scraps again.  I'm not sure if I will continue to play Scraps, since not drawing Tuners means I auto-lose and also that I have some trouble with bigger Monsters, but I feel like it's not as bad as auto-losing to not drawing Goblin Zombie in T.G. Zombies.  At least I can hold out with the Worms, and I'm not only gaining advantage through searches, which Rai-Oh messes with.  My deck also isn't as reliant on the Graveyard and doesn't die to Gozen Match, so that's good.  Oh, and I'm also now able to play Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror and Solemn Warning, so that's pretty cool.

I'm still thinking about Flamvells, since I have all of the cards to make the deck, but it seems worse than the Karakuri deck I made, so I'm not so sure.  If anyone has some interesting deck ideas, I'd be happy to hear them, especially if they use Phantom Skyblaster...

10 comments:

  1. Phantom Plants? And I don't mean standard plants. But you catch my drift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dan the rabbit guy didn't drop one laggia on u?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Relentify

    I don't catch your drift. I've seen Tengu Plants with Phantom Skyblaster and Enemy Controller to help with Synchro plays, but I don't think that's what you're talking about.

    @Anonymous

    He sided very weirdly. He sided in Electric Virus, Caius, Rai-Oh, and I think the BLS, so he may have sided out his Rescue Rabbits, since I did not see them at all in the second or third duel, and the third duel dragged on forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jurrac stun with eviolites seems interesting. I lost to it in round 10 at LA regionals, and lots of the top tables had similar decks. I wanted to to take the deck but I took chaos instead and went 7-3 =/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, Synchrocentric (ugh) with Skyblasters instead of Tour Guide is a ton of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anonymous

    I don't like playing Stun decks.

    @FireThunder

    I don't really like "Good Stuff" decks like "Synchrocentric" because you can open with mismatched combo pieces and end up being unable to do anything. The only reason I tolerated T.G. Zombies was because everything was a floater, so I could keep Setting Monsters if I had a bad hand. It also didn't completely die to Dimensional Fissure like Synchrocentric decks do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So what's the difference between stun and anti-stun?

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Anonymous

    Stun just basically tries to lock down the duel with control cards like Thunder King Rai-Oh, Skill Drain, and Dimensional Fissure.

    Anti-Stun is a tactic where you pick apart the components of a Stun deck, allowing you to make the big plays that they don't want you to make. However, it can be as simple as just one-for-one'ing them to death with cards like Dust Tornado and Dimensional Prison so that they can't lock down the duel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LightGrunty, you like playing Scraps and T.G.s it seems. why not try to combine the two? T.G. Scraps??

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Anonymous

    They're not good together. Plenty of people have had the idea before, but the only real connection they have is access to Horn of the Phantom Beast.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.