Saturday, September 26, 2009

Tournament Report 9/26/09

I've got another tournament report for whoever reads this blog. I was playing my Dark Reverse Junk and Debris variant, and I was trying out a couple of Hedge Guard in the deck. And, again, I couldn't get three Swallow Flips... I had to settle on Black Horn of Heaven.

As I was seeing what types of decks people were running, almost no one was running meta decks. There was one kid running Blackwings, two guys with Gladiator Beasts, and someone with Lightsworn. Guess who I face first?

Round 1: vs Lightsworn

Yeah, Lightsworn. I knew the guy from earlier tournaments, and he's pretty cool and all. Random, I know.

"I have to play the hardest deck here first round," he said (you thought that I would've been saying that, huh?). I said that my deck isn't that great, but he explained about how much he hates Synchros. It makes sense, though, since Lightsworn, as versatile as they are, can have trouble with Synchros.

-Duel 1: He used Beckoning Light for double Judgment Dragon. He didn't have enough Lightsworn in the Graveyard, so he had to wait a couple turns. During which time, Hedge Guard did its job in protecting me from Honest. Knowing that he had two Judgment Dragons in hand, though, I couldn't do anything but scoop.
-Duel 2: I pull random Stardust Dragon and Colossal Fighter out of nowhere. He tunes Plaguespreader to a Jain for Goyo to steal my Stardust Dragon and Mirror Forces my Colossal. Expecting something like that, I then proceded to Synchro Summon Ancient Fairy Dragon in DEF, and stall behind it. He drew into an Honest, though, and I couldn't do anything to stop it.

After my first match, I went with my opponent to watch two newbies dueling. In their second duel, one actually decked out, and his opponent wasn't even trying to deck him out. It was pretty funny.

Round 2: vs Newbie Deck

I had to duel a newbie, which I don't like. It's not fun playing someone who barely understands the game.

-Duel 1: He sets a bunch of back row and I Black Rose to take control. He Bottomless Trap Holed it, but I had D.D.R.
-Duel 2: I was stalling behind Hedge Guard's 2100 DEF for a long, long time. I eventually pulled out Black Rose Dragon to take control of the game.

After my second match, I watched this one guy with this Tempest Magician FTK deck. It was actually pretty good, and it was fun to watch. Right before the end of their match, Aki called me on my cell, and I missed the ending... The Lightsworn guy from before filled me in, though.

Round 3: vs Something

I had to duel one of those people who wasn't a newbie, but wasn't very competitive. He didn't understand much about game mechanics, but the one thing he did know was that chains resolve backwards. He was really annoying, too, which didn't help.

-Duel 1: I was able to take control of the game and get him down to one card in hand. It just happened to be Gorz, which won him the game.
-Duel 2: I took control of the game and forced him into top-decking mode. He set the Treeborn Frog he drew, which I proceded to take with Mind Control after dropping Dark Armed Dragon alongside my Goyo Guardian. I tuned my Plaguespreader to his frog and a Fluffy Token for Armory Arm and OTK'd him.
-Duel 3: He draws into some sort of weird random rush OTK after a few turns. Nothing I could do.

Round 4: vs Six Samurai

This guy was friends with my previous opponent and was watching our match, so he knew my deck. However, I saw his deck when he was playing against the Tempest Magician FTK guy.

-Duel 1: He drew pretty badly and I was able to take control with Black Rose Dragon.
-Duel 2: It was a very back-and-forth game. I was stalling for a while with Cyber Valley and Dandylion until I was able to pull out Black Rose Dragon to destroy his field (for the second time that duel). I won the hard fought duel.

It ended up that there were only four rounds. The card I pulled from the Turbo Pack were garbage, but I was randomly selected to get some store credit, which was cool. I used it to buy a Gold Series 2009 pack, which took me quite a while to open. I had so much difficulty getting the plastic off that I ended up taking the top to my dice case and using it to cut through the plastic. Then, it took me a while to actually pull the cards out of the pack. It was well worth it, though, and I audibly gasped when I saw the top card: Gold Sarcophagus. The card under it was Dark Armed Dragon. I was going to sell the Dark Armed Dragon to buy a second Gold Sarcophagus to match the one I pulled, but they didn't have one. Oh well.

Either way, the tournament wasn't that great, and I didn't have much fun dueling, except against the Six Samurai guy. But, I pulled $60's worth of cards out of a $20 pack, so I think it was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.