Sunday, September 20, 2009

Tournament Report 9/20/09

While this was not my first tournament, this is my first tournament report. I can't say which card shop the tournament was at, due to privacy reasons, sorry.

I was piloting a Junk and Debris variant, (Dark Reverse Junk and Debris). Honestly, it's hard to describe. It'll be in my videos in a few days, so you'll be able to see for yourselves.

Random note: I was really disappointed when I couldn't get 3 Swallow Flips for my side deck.

Round 1: vs Dark (???)

I was dueling against someone who I knew to be good and often ran some sort of Dark deck.

-Duel 1: My opponent drew nothing good, and I kept poking with Spirit Reaper for card advantage. I think that he scooped early in the duel.
-Duel 2: Summon X-Saber Urbellum to stall his draw. He chains Tragoedia to the effect and uses it to steal Urbellum discarding Gorz. I don't remember how I won, though.

Round 2: vs Blackwings

-Duel 1: Vengeful Shinobi confuses people a lot. My opponent didn't draw well and I got a bit lucky with Dark Armed Dragon. I forgot how I won.
-Duel 2: Vengeful Shinobi > Card Trooper/Vortex Trooper/Dekoichi/whatever. He attacks it, Necro Gardna for a free draw. He attacks with another monster, and I get another free draw. It's hardly fair. By the time we were halfway through the duel, most of the other people were done with their matches (my deck stalls like crazy) and came over to watch my duel.

I've got Armageddon Knight and Cyber Valley on the field against three set S/T (he just set what he drew for a few turns while I poked with Arma Knight for damage, so I didn't know whether or not they were threatening at the time). Top-deck for Plaguespreader's effect, Synchro for Black Rose to destroy the field (all of his sets were bluffs). Epic finish when I played Reinforcement of the Army. All of the spectators were roaring when I summoned Junk Synchron into Junk Warrior for game. "Blackwings got beat by Junk Warrior!"

Unfortunately, it was downhill from there...

Round 3: vs Lightsworn

Lightsworn... I really love the archetype, but Judgment Dragon and Honest make them too cheap.

-Duel 1: Judgment Dragon. Enough said.
-Duel 2: I start with a Light-Imprisoning Mirror that I sided in. By the time it was destroyed, it was too late. I was able to get out Colossal Fighter and Stardust Dragon, and my opponent tried to stall for an out. It didn't work.
-Duel 3: I drew nothing, which was bad. I lost pretty quickly, since I didn't draw any monsters.

Round 4: vs Batteryman OTK

Very unexpected, to say the least. I knew how the deck worked, though, since I've played Batterymen before.

-Duel 1: After two turns, my opponent had 5 cards on the field. Black Rose Dragon. Conveniently for me, I was also able to set up an OTK the next turn. He scooped when I dropped Dark Armed Dragon and started running numbers.
-Duel 2: I forgot how the duel went, but I know I lost to a swarm and Short Curcuit.
-Duel 3: Both my opponent and I drew badly, and we were just drawing and passing for a while. During that time, he was able to set up a Short Curcuit. I tried to stall, but he had already gotten control of the game. He thought he had game when he dropped Industrial Strength and used it to destroy my set monster. Dandylion saved me for a turn, but it didn't help.

Round 5: vs Dark (???)

Another weird Dark deck. It used Caius, Jinzo, and E-Tele's, but I didn't see a theme (other than Dark...).

-Duel 1: I forgot how I won.
-Duel 2: After some stalling, I was able to destroy his field with Black Rose and I pulled out a Magical Android. The last card in his hand just happened to be a Gorz.
-Duel 3: He had Jinzo and Goyo Guardian and I was stalling. D.D.R. for Necro Gardna and summon Junk Synchron into Goyo. He tried to Solemn, but I pointed out that Jinzo was on the field. "That sucks" were the words of a spectator. After he got rid of my Goyo, he was able to play another Jinzo. All of my cards were traps...

There was a sixth round, but no one played except the people who actually had a chance at getting prizes (which was just 6 people, I believe). The Lightsworn guy who beat me in Round 3 took the tournament and got a Light of Destruction box. I guess that Light of Destruction has a lot of rare (money) cards, but I would have rather gotten Ancient Prophecy.

All and all, it was fun playing Junk and Debris. I'll have to wait for Hidden Arsenal for the new Synchros, which will help Junk and Debris quite a bit. I was also able to buy some cards I needed for a new deck. The store owner told me that he only had Parallel Rare Dekoichis, which is when I found out that I could buy the Hobby League cards, as opposed to winning them. Of course, I bought a Hobby League holo card to "bling out" my deck. I wanted an MST, but they didn't have it, so I had to settle for Torrential Tribute.

I had a choice between a Hobby League Torrential and an Ultra Rare one (both were the same price), so I chose the Hobby League. Ultra Parallel Rare is cooler than just Ultra Rare, right...?

2 comments:

  1. Cool!You used Junk and Debris and did pretty well!Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah its always nice to see an unknown deck beat meta decks such as blackwings

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.