Saturday, November 5, 2011

Tournament Report 11/4/11

I decided to go to the Friday tournament this weekend, since there would be no tournaments due to the Sneak Preview today and tomorrow. By the way, I didn't go to the Photon Shockwave Sneak Preview because the only cards I needed from the pack that I could plausibly get are the Wind-Ups (minus the rarity-jacked Zenmaines...).

I had no time at all to change my deck since last weekend, so I went with the lackluster Scrap variant (I really want to be able to use the Worm engine...). I went with sickpenguin and his friend evilhamsdwch. They were playing Junk Doppel and Agent Fairies, respectively.

Round 1: vs Newbie Six Samurai

I could tell that he was a newb because he searched for Hand of the Six Samurai instead of Kagemusha when he had Kageki in hand...

Round 2: Blackwings

This was my Round 2 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: I opened with a pretty awkward hand and just stalled out with Gravekeeper's Spy (Worm Xex would've been able to do lots of damage here...). He made a Stardust Dragon and Set his hand to his back row, and I worked to bait out all of his Traps before I made a Scrap Chimera play. Once he ran out of back rows, he couldn't do anything about my Scrap Dragon.
-Duel 2: He made Brionac with Blizzard to bounce my Scrap Dragon. I had to wait a few turns before making my own Brionac with Cyber Dragon and Effect Veiler to bounce his Brionac, but I lost my Brionac to a Dimensional Prison. From there, we were both top-decking, but he drew a Monster to kill me with.
-Duel 3: We both opened with pretty Trap-heavy hands. I destroyed his whole back row in a turn with Mystical Space Typhoon and Dust Tornado before I summoned Scrap Chimera to make a Scrap Dragon. It got hit by Compulsory Evacuation Device, but I was able to make another one to keep control of the duel with.

Round 3: vs Junk Doppel

I was paired up against sickpenguin. How sad.

-Duel 1: I opened pretty crazily with two Scrap Chimeras, Scrapyard, Scrapstorm, and two Traps. I made the obvious Scrap Beast/Scrapstorm play to grab Scrap Orthros. He didn't draw any Effect Veilers to deal with my Scrap Chimeras, so I won fairly easily.
-Duel 2: He opened with Trap Dustshoot, seeing my hand of Effect Veiler, Gravekeeper's Spy, Chaos Trap Hole, Dimensional Prison, Mind Control, and Reborn Tengu, the latter of which he sent back. That left me to Set Gravekeeper's Spy and Chaos Trap Hole. He searched Ryko with Charge of the Light Brigade, but he didn't want to Set it because I had Mind Control. I lost my Spies to a Torrential Tribute when I flipped the Set one, and I Chaos Trap Holed his Caius, so we just sat there for a while. I drew into a Tengu and beat him down a little bit with it. He made Catastor with Junk Synchron to kill my Tengus. I had Cyber Dragon in hand, so I was okay with that. However, I had to consider whether or not to fuse it with Catastor or steal it with Mind Control and overlay. I wanted to keep Chimeratech Fortress Dragon in my Extra Deck, considering I had Monster Reborn in my hand, so I overlaid for Adreus, Keeper of Armageddon. Adreus died to Ryko, so that was sad, but that was okay; I finally was able to summon a Rank 5 Xyz Monster. And, it worked out pretty well when he summoned Card Trooper on his next turn and I topped a second Cyber Dragon. After so long, I was finally able to draw a Scrap Beast and make Scrap Twin Dragon using it and the Monster Reborn. He couldn't deal with it (I had two Effect Veilers, ha ha), so I won.

Round 4: vs Lightsworn

This was my Round 2 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: He opened with Recharge and Charge, but he milled Lumina with Charge, so he had to settle on getting Lyla. Without that momentum, and seeing as how he milled all of his Judgment Dragons, I was able to take control of the duel with Scrap Dragon fairly easily.
-Duel 2: He gained a bunch of pluses off of Wulf, Celestia, then Judgment Dragon, and I couldn't do anything about that.
-Duel 3: I was doing fairly well with an early Scrap Dragon, be he milled four Lightsworn names within a couple turns, then dropped two Judgment Dragons on me. I killed the first, but couldn't do much about the second. I stalled out for a while, then made Black Rose Dragon using Reborn Tengu and Scrap Goblin to destroy the Judgment Dragon and push for a little damage. Unfortunately, he drew Lumina and chucked a Necro Gardna to revive Lyla and break my Set Forbidden Lance. With Glow-Up Bulb, he made Catastor and destroyed my last Tengu. I topped Cyber Dragon to fuse with Catastor and force out one of the two Necro Gardnas. He was able to rid of it, though, and I topped Dark Hole to clear the field. He topped Monster Reincarnation, so he was able to kill me with Judgment Dragon the following turn.

Round 5: vs Scraps

This was my Round 4 opponent from this tournament. We agreed to a split, and I had much higher tiebreakers than him, so he would give me the win regardless of the outcome of the match.

-Duel 1: He opened crazily with Reborn Tengu, Scrap Beast, Scrap Chimera, Mind Control, and Monster Reborn, so he killed me by the fifth turn of the duel.
-Duel 2: I was able to control the duel with Utopia, then Scrap Dragon.
-Duel 3: I opened pretty badly, and he drew Scrap Chimeras so I lost. I really hate how the Scrap mirror match can often come down to who draws more Scrap Chimeras...

And that's part of why I'm considering switching up decks for next weekend. Either way, I went 3-2, but technically got 2nd place with a 4-1 record. With my half of the store credit that I got, I was able to buy a Number 10: Illumiknight tin at a good price. I pulled Gladiator Taming and Legendary Six Samurai - Enishi from the packs, so that was pretty good.

sickpenguin ended up going 4-1, getting 5th place; evilhamsdwch had a lackluster record (*cough* 1-3 plus a bye *cough*).

So yeah, I'm not sure if I want to run the same Scrap deck next weekend. I might want to switch to a Worm variant (as least I can do something if I clump-draw Worms, Tengus are useless), or I might want to switch to a different version of my T.G. Zombies that doesn't lose as hard to Rai-Oh. We'll see...

6 comments:

  1. Round 4: Why not Chalice Lumina?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Boden

    That was a typo; it was a Lance, not a Chalice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you guys never play mainstream decks don't you
    thats al right neither do the people i play with they all play antimeta bu i win even though i play plants and don't side deck

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Anonymous

    Playing unique decks has its advantages; people often don't know how the deck works or how to Side Deck against it.

    And it's not like I play random decks that don't work. I carefully think through the meta, and determine a good unique deck that counters most, if not all, of the mainstream decks. For the last two formats, my Scrap Worms deck basically beat every deck in the top tier except Gravekeeper's without siding, and I sided Closed Forests to mess with Gravekeeper's.

    I do admit, though, playing Scraps this format isn't a very good choice. I'll probably switch to something like T.G. Zombies again, since that deck worked out really well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Kamitsure

    Playing Malefics is like asking for dead draws... I generally don't play decks that rely on Field Spells.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.