Sunday, September 4, 2011

Tournament Report 9/4/11

I went to locals today with the T.G. Zombie deck that I was talking about in previous posts. I threw the Side Deck together last night; I had to break my habit of siding a bunch of cards for each match-up. I decided to only side a few cards for each match-up, except for any Stun-eqsue match-ups. In those cases, I would side into anti-stun.

There were at least thirty players, and it was interesting to see what everyone was using for the new format.

Round 1: vs T.G. Stun

-Duel 1: He didn't draw many Monsters, so I just kept beating him with Reborn Tengu.
-Duel 2: He opened with a Monster and three back rows. I opened with three Mystical Space Typhoons to get rid of his back row, then was able to push with Monsters.

Round 2: vs Flamvell/Assault Mode

This was my Round 3 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: He dropped Stardust Dragon/Assault Mode on me early, but I was able to Synchro Summon Ally of Justice Decisive Armor in an attempt to run it over. Unfortunately, Scrap Dragon destroyed my Decisive Armor, and he proceeded to OTK me with double Rekindling.
-Duel 2: Double D.D. Crow removed his Flamvells to cut off his Rekindling, and Soul Release banished his Stardust Dragon/Assault Mode after he used its effect, along with four other Monsters. From there, I was able to control the game with Synchros.
-Duel 3: I pulled off an early Trishula to banish his Flamvells. That play essentially won me the game, because he had very few plays afterwards.

Round 3: vs Blackwings

This was my Round 4 opponent from last weekend.

-Duel 1: He OTK'd me with Brionac, Armed Wing, and Dark Armed Dragon.
-Duel 2: I was able to control him with the T.G.'s, especially Wonder Magician.
-Duel 3: I got him down to 1800 LP over time with attacks with Reborn Tengu. After a Blizzard play, he bounced back his used Call of the Haunted with Zephyros. I Synchro Summoned Colossal Fighter to try and finish off his last 1400 LP by attacking over Zephyros, but he used Kalut to survive. In the end, though, I pushed through his Set Sangan with Flamvell Uruquizas to win.

Round 4: vs Six Samurai

This was my Round 4 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: He opened with Smoke Signal and Asceticism to make Shi En. I took the Shi En with Creature Swap after baiting out its attack. He destroyed it with Musakani Magatama, unfortunately. To top it off, he had Monster Reborn for it. It was okay, though, since I was able to summon Brionac using Reborn Tengu and Plaguespreader Zombie. That summoned another Tengu, letting me clear out the two Samurai alongside Shi En before bouncing it with Brionac's effect. He couldn't recover from that, so I won.
-Duel 2: He opened with Gateway and two Six Samurai United. Those let him draw into four back rows to keep the Gateway company, so I lost.
-Duel 3: I started with a Set Spirit Reaper and Reinforce Truth. He opened with Shinai, Grandmaster, and Solidarity. During his End Phase, I used the Reinforce Truth to Special Summon Striker, then Special Summoned Warwolf with its effect. On my turn, I used Striker and Warwolf to make Wonder Magician and destroy Solidarity. I summoned Thunder King Rai-Oh and switched Spirit Reaper to Attack Position. Wonder Magician and Rai-Oh pushed through Shinai and Grandmaster (with help from Book of Moon), and Spirit Reaper took a Kageki out of his hand. I Synchro Summoned Stardust Dragon in Main Phase 2. Next turn, he used Monster Reborn to revive Grandmaster and run over Rai-Oh. Then he used Smoke Signal to search Kagemusha and Synchro for Scrap Archfiend. My gamble had failed, but I had a back-up plan. I Set two Goblin Zombies over the next two turns. When he killed one, I got a Plaguespreader Zombie to make Brionac and search Mezuki. I discarded that to bounce the Scrap Archfiend and pushed for some damage. He was able to push through that with a Shi En, but I had Gorz to finish him off.

I was one of the two undefeated players going into the last round. The other player was my Round 3 opponent from this tournament. We agreed to a split, with the winner of the duel deciding which booster box to get.

Round 5: vs Twilight

-Duel 1: Mind Crush showed him my hand and Trishula ripped it apart. It's hard to keep advantage when he keeps milling Wulfs...
-Duel 2: He used Trap Dustshoot to see that I had no Traps (it didn't matter which Monster he sent back at that point, since they were all equally useful), then OTK'd me with two Wulfs that he milled, Black Luster Soldier, and Honest.

Yeah... maybe I need to side more for Lightsworn/Twilight...

Either way, I went 4-1 and got 2nd place, which is nice. I got half of a box of Generation Force and pulled Gagaga Magician, Wind-Up Factory, Surfacing, an Ultra A Hero Lives, and Pain Painter. I promptly sold the Pain Painter, as it is quite lackluster.

I didn't think that my deck would do as well as it did. I probably did so well because I was paired up against the Stun-esque decks that my deck can easily gain advantage on. Faster decks like Lightsworn and Agent Fairies may be much more difficult to get through, so I'll probably have to work on my Side Deck to deal with them.

2 comments:

  1. Nice job, yeah I lightsworns are going to be popular at 3js. Hope to see you today or next tournement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. jaden here i guess the new tech card of the format will be chaos hunter it lets u ditch a card and special a 2500 beater which completely dismantles agents

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.