Sunday, September 11, 2011

Regionals Report 9/10/11

As planned, I went to Regionals today with Aki. I was using my T.G. Zombie deck of course, and Aki was using the fixed up version of his Gladiator HEROes deck. We got A Hero Lives and such for it, if you didn't already know.

I changed up my Side Deck quite a bit. I made room for Leeching the Light to combat Lightsworn (it can help OTK when used in a deck that can swarm), switched the Rai-Ohs out for Kycoos, and added a Chain Disappearance.

I pulled an Ultimate Rare Leviair the Sea Dragon from my Generation Force packs, and I put it in Aki's Extra Deck. It's more useful than Number 17: Leviathan Dragon in Gladiator Beasts... I'm pretty sure that Aki didn't pull anything good from his packs, but he was able to sell the Ultimate Rare Dark Armed Dragon that he got from last week's tournament for a good price.

There ended up being 576 players there. That was a lot more than I had anticipated, and we ended up staying for all ten rounds.

Round 1: vs Macro Cosmos - OO
-This was my opponent's first time at Regionals, so I felt bad 2-0'ing him. The first game was close, but he didn't draw any Dimensional Fissures or Macro Cosmos in the second duel.

Round 2: vs Gladiator Beasts - OXO
-Stun tactics worked well enough to win me the first and third duels. While he was very polite while we were dueling, he started lying and talking trash about me and my deck to his friends after he lost. Not that you guys care...

Round 3: vs Agent Fairies - XOO
-It seemed as though I had the first duel in the bag with a successful Trishula and a revived Catastor, but his second Hyperion sacrificed itself to kill them both. Then I didn't draw any more Monsters, so I lost. In the second duel, Light-Imprisoning Mirror prevented Venus from making Gachi Gachi Gantetsu, so I didn't have any trouble. I dropped Trishula in the third duel to remove a bunch of stuff, then Ally of Justice Decisive Armor to kill the last two Hyperions he summoned (I used Book of Moon on one of them to prevent it from killing me).

Round 4: vs Agent Fairies - XX
-In the first duel, I dropped Ally of Justice Decisive Armor against his Hyperion, Jupiter, Gantetsu, and Set card. I discarded the Mezuki I searched with Goblin Zombie to destroy his Set card (No, I'm not stupid. I did that on purpose). He Chained the Set Compulsory Evacuation Device, bouncing Decisive Armor. Using Mezuki, I was able to make Decisive Armor again that same turn. I then looked at his hand with its third effect, discarding a Hyperion. Unfortunately, he topped another Compulsory to bounce Decisive Armor again, and I couldn't recover from the resulting swarm. In the second duel, I drew all Monsters with no Veilers, and died to a Venus swarm.

Round 5: vs HERO Chaos - XOO
-I lost the first game because he opened with Future Fusion, Monster Reborn, and two Miracle Fusions. I won the next two games by controlling his Fusions with Synchros, especially Brionac and Trishula.

Round 6: vs Frog Monarchs - OO
-He didn't know what Trap Dustshoot did... Luckily, I was able to use it to control his hand in the first duel. And I actually drew Chain Disappearance in the second duel, letting me deprive him of his Treeborn Frogs.

Round 7: vs T.G. Tour Guide Stun - OXO
-This was Aki's Round 2 opponent, so I had an idea of what his deck was like. I was able to swarm in the first duel, making Trishula. I lost to general Stun tactics in the second duel. The Zombie engine really proved its worth in the third duel, letting me go into Level 6 Synchros three turns in a row, eventually taking control of the duel and going for game.

Round 8: vs T.G. Agent Fairies - OO
-I banished almost all of his cards with Trishula early game, then Creature Swapped his Stardust to take the game. In the second duel, I stole his Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning with Creature Swap and OTK'd him with it. It's broken.

Round 9: vs Infernities - XX
-In both duels, he opened with Solemn Judgment and Infernity Launcher, and started his loops on his second turn. In the first duel, it was with Infernity Inferno, and in the second duel, it was with two Stygian Street Patrols. There was absolutely nothing I could do, and it destroyed my chance of getting Top 8.

Round 10: vs Agent Fairies - XX
-In the first duel, he opened with Venus, and I Veiled it after the first Shine Ball. I killed the Venus with Reborn Tengu, but he had a second one, so all of my efforts were wasted. It didn't help that I had opened with two Reborn Tengus. Then, in the second duel, he OTK'd me with Trishula, Leviair, and Brionac. Not fun.

While I was doing really well with a 7-1 record at first, I ended up getting wrecked in the last two rounds because my opponents just drew everything they possibly could to OTK me without interruption...

So, I ended up with a 7-3 record, getting 34th place. Not bad, as I did get my Nationals Invite, but I really wanted to Top 8... While there was nothing I could do in the Infernity match-up, I suppose that I should Side Deck even more for Agent Fairies...

By the way, I was typing this up at 1:00 AM after the grueling 10-round Regional, so forgive any grammatical errors.

6 comments:

  1. i wish leech the light was a quickplay that would be beast
    was the glad player adam corn? lol!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Light Grunty,
    How did Aki do at regionals?
    Did the switch from Rai-oh to Kycoos help?
    Just how many people were running Agents?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous #2

    Aki didn't do so well. His score was the opposite of mine...

    The switch from Rai-Ohs to Kycoos didn't really do much. I switched them because I wanted to deal with Lightsworn/Twilight decks, but they weren't as good in the Agent match-up.

    Quite a few people at the top tables were running Agents. I can't say exactly how many, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What could you side deck against agent fairies?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Anonymous

    More Chain Disappearance and Rai-Oh, basically. Even Maxx "C", I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol i was the guy you played round 8.. i was so tired i ignored your trishula play while i had herald of orange in hand... i are pro right?

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.