Saturday, October 29, 2011

Tournament Report 10/29/11

So, I decided to go to locals with a Scrap deck this weekend. Since Worms aren't too good this format with all of the Rai-Ohs everywhere, I decided to use Gravekeeper's Spies instead.

There were about 20 players there today. Most of them were newbs...

Round 1: vs Newbie Synchro

It was basically just a deck based around Junk Synchron that wasn't Junk Doppel...

Round 2: vs Lightsworn

-Duel 1: I drew double Tengu, but that let me make a Steelswarm Roach. He couldn't get over it, so I won.
-Duel 2: I made an early push with a couple of Spies and a Scrap Beast, letting me keep control of the game with Scrap Dragon.

Round 3: vs Zombie Plants

-Duel 1: He dropped Dark Armed Dragon and Stardust on me early in the game, and I was able to kill both by sacrificing my Scrap Dragon. From there, I was able to keep him off of the field until he milled a Dandylion off of Ryko and proceeded to draw Debris Dragon... Needless to say, I lost to Trishula.
-Duel 2: I just rushed him with Scrap Dragon, since he had a lackluster hand.
-Duel 3: I tried to rush him again, but his D.D. Crow and Effect Veiler stopped my play. Then, he banished those two cards to drop Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning and destroy me with it. This was the first time I have legitimately lost to BLS; it's broken.

Round 4: vs Six Samurai

This was my Round 1 opponent from this tournament. He was one of the three undefeated players, so I offered to give him the win. We still played it out for fun.

-Duel 1: I played conservatively, using Effect Veiler on his first turn Leviathan Dragon so that it couldn't run over my Set Gravekeeper's Spy. I used that Spy to make Utopia, which died to Mirror Force. From there, I made a Scrap Dragon to run him through, and he couldn't do anything about it.
-Duel 2: I opened with Scrap Beast and two Scrapstorms. I used them to get a Scrap Chimera before he Synchro Summoned Shi En, and the resulting Scrap Dragon ran over that Shi En. He couldn't deal with it, so I rode Scrap Dragon to victory.

Round 5: vs T.G. Agent Fairies

-Duel 1: I drew three Reborn Tengus, but he made a Gachi Gachi Gantetsu with Striker and Earth, so he didn't have anything to attack with. As such, I built up my field with the Tengus and Gravekeeper's Spy. Once I had enough Level 4's on the field, I made Scrap Dragon and Steelswarm Roach to lock him out of the game.
-Duel 2: I only drew two Effect Veilers as my Monsters, and he drew three Earths, so I couldn't stop Venus from coming out.
-Duel 3: He stole my Scrap Dragon using Tragoedia's effect, but I locked it down in a few turns with Fiendish Chain. Dark Hole cleared off the field a few turns after that, and we were both top-decking. I topped Scrap Chimera after he topped Torrential Tribute, so I couldn't make my Scrap Dragon. Then, he topped Hyperion and attacked with it. I topped Scrapyard with Cyber Dragon in hand, letting me make Scrap Twin Dragon to run over Hyperion. He couldn't get over Scrap Twin, so I won on the following turn.

So, technically I went 3-2, but I actually went 4-1. So yeah.

My Round 4 opponent gave me a pack of sleeves and a Common Grinder Golem from Legendary Collection 2 since I gave him the win so that he could get to the finals. That was cool.

Last weekend, half of the people were playing Gravekeeper's, and this weekend, everyone's playing swarm decks (Lightsworn, Zombies, Chaos). Half of the reason I played the Gravekeeper's engine was because I expected to play against Gravekeeper's. I even started siding Closed Forest, again.

Either way, the Main Deck for my Scrap variant seems pretty solid, so I may just need to work on the Side Deck. I really do want to play the Worm engine again, but the sheer amount of Rai-Ohs being played hurts the Worms too much. It's quite sad, too, since the Worm engine is good against the deck formerly known as Tengu Plants. Oh well, we'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.