Sunday, October 23, 2011

Tournament Report 10/22/11

Yesterday, I decided to use the Dark World deck I put together with the Ryko Side Deck. I had to go early to buy the Structure Decks and put the actual deck together.

There were 23 players, and quite a few of them were newbs. Guess who I get to play against first...?

Round 1: vs Newbie Dragons

This kid was really annoying, and after I 2-0'd him, he kept telling me about how close he was to winning.

Round 2: vs Frog Monarchs

This was my Round 1 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: He was able to keep pushing through damage by destroying/spinning Grapha with Monarchs, since he kept drawing Monarch after I ripped his hand apart with Dragged Down and Mind Crush. In the end, he had to stall behind Gachi Gachi Gantetsu and Tragoedia, but that didn't last for long.
-Duel 2: For a while, he was at 3100 LP, just trying to hang on. I knew that he had a Tragoedia in his hand, and I wanted to finish him off in one shot with Grapha so that he wouldn't have tribute fodder. That plan didn't work out, unfortunately, but it gave me the opportunity to use Wind-Up Zenmaister. He had switched my Grapha to Defense Position with Enemy Controller, and Zenmaister switched it back so that it wouldn't get run over by a Jinzo or something. I ended up using Torrential Tribute to clear the field after he stole my Grapha with another Enemy Controller and tributed it and his Treeborn Frog for the Tragoedia. That let me finish him off on my turn.

Round 3: vs Gravekeeper's

I've played against this guy before, but it's been at least a year, and I'm too lazy to go back and find out when.

-Duel 1: He drew a Trap for each of my Monsters, so I couldn't get anything to the field.
-Duel 2: I drew all of my Rykos, and they all milled my Dark World Monsters. Because of that, I didn't have any Dark Worlds to use to summon Grapha. It didn't matter much, though, since he kept drawing Traps to stop whatever I may have attempted.

And that is why I didn't want to play Dark Worlds.

Round 4: vs Gravekeeper's

This was my Round 4 opponent from last week.

-Duel 1: I ripped apart his hand with Dragged Down into the Grave, and was able to keep Necrovalley off of the field and gain advantage with The Gates of Dark World. Dark World Lightning is pretty good, too.
-Duel 2: I didn't draw any discard outlets (another reason why I didn't want to play Dark Worlds), and got beat down by Gravekeeper's Guard and Fossil Dyna Pachycephalo.
-Duel 3: I hit him with a Mind Crush, letting me see his hand of non-Chainable Traps. He Set them to avoid Dragged Down, but that left him open to Dark World Lightning. Once his back row thinned out, Grapha took control of the field, and he couldn't deal with it.

That ended up being the last round, so I went 3-1. My tie-breakers were bad, apparently, since I was like the lowest ranked X-1. That didn't matter, though, since I was just trying out Dark Worlds and seeing if other people picked up the deck. I think that I was the only competitive Dark World player there. Gravekeeper's, on the other hand, were quite popular, for some reason.

In fact, I played against one of my friends (the same person who I played against after this tournament), and he was playing Gravekeeper's. Hand control won me the game 2-1, with the game I lost being due to not drawing discard outlets.

So, I'm not sure on what deck I'm going to use next weekend. I'm trying to decide between T.G. Zombies, Dark Worlds, and some sort of Scrap variant. I think that I'll keep working on Dark Worlds, but we'll see.

5 comments:

  1. Not too bad, Grunty (IDK what your real name is LOL) and Dark Worlds are kind of overrated. This is proven when it was taken to YCS Ohio and didn't even show up in the top 32.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you considered X(X)-Sabers? Ik decks that need two or three cards to get things going isn't that great this format, but you have expressed a interest in it?

    And I really hope you're not using silva or goldd in your Dark World deck right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kamitsure

    I did before I realized that Dark Worlds would destroy them. They aren't really worth it now.

    I'm not using Sillva or Goldd; I absolutely hate dead draws.

    ReplyDelete
  4. considering dark worlds arent taking the meta game by storm as we thought, wouldn't that make sabers a reasonable choice? Been playing sabers for a while, and cant decide on a build for this format. What do you think of the super nimble mega hamster build? Are there any better ones?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Anonymous

    I think that X-Sabers aren't fast enough to keep up with any of the mainstream decks right now. They're just not a very good choice overall.

    Honestly, they're like Six Samurai. You can run them aggressively or as a control build. If you use the faster variant, you can draw dead a lot. With the control build, you have the same problem that all Stun decks have, which is that you put big Monsters onto the field or take control of the game from your opponent.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.