Sunday, March 27, 2011

Tournament Report 3/27/11

Yay, two tournaments in one weekend. Same deck, of course.

JC and his weird friend were there, not that most of you care.

Round 1: vs X-Sabers

-Duel 1: I opened with Mind Control and Scrap Goblin, so I was going to wait until he played a Monster to steal it for a Synchro. After a few turns of draw-pass-draw-pass, I stole his XX-Saber Darksoul and Synchro Summoned Naturia Barkion, which got Warned. After that, more draw-pass-draw-pass. He used Giant Trunade to swarm, and I countered with Scrap Dragons. Over a few turns, I ground down his resources and won.
-Duel 2: Same as the first duel for the first part of the game. Then, when he was preparing to swarm, I calculated his next move and dropped a second Scrap Dragon. He only had enough cards to bounce one with Brionac, so he was stuck making a subpar XX-Saber Gottoms play, which I picked apart on my next turn.

Round 2: vs Salvo Chaos

-Duel 1: He drew really well, and I didn't. However, his deck was too slow to keep up with my Scraps, once I started making my plays.
-Duel 2: He drew fairly decently, but Crevice Into the Different Dimension removed both of his Darks, crippling the Chaos Sorcerer and Dark Armed Dragon that were in his hand. I beat him down with Scrap Twin Dragon over a few turns.

Round 3: vs Hero Beat

This was my Round 1 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: I gained advantage on him with Scrapstorm and Scrap Chimera, removing his Monsters with Traps and such. Worm Xex and Yagan were also quite helpful.
-Duel 2: Same deal, basically. I also opened with both Mystical Space Typhoons, and he drew pretty badly.

Before the next round, I agreed to a four-way split with the other three undefeated players (okay, there were five undefeated total, but we knew that the one who got paired down would lose, so we were mean enough to exclude him).

Round 4: vs Six Samurai

This was my Round 4 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: I started with a Set Worm Yagan and some Set back rows. On his second turn, he ran Shi En into my Worm Yagan, even though he kind of expected it. I won the game off of that momentum and another Yagan, courtesy of Worm Xex.
-Duel 2: He started with Naturia Barkion and back rows. I Normal Summoned Worm Xex, but he negated its summon with Warning. That's right, people are starting to use Solemn Warning on Worms. More on that in another post. Either way, I killed the Barkion with Smashing Ground, then revived it later with Monster Reborn. He kept drawing Traps, so he couldn't get around it, and I was able to win with it.

Round 5: vs Disaster Dragon

This was my Round 2 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: He went first and opened with Future Fusion. He swarmed to kill me.
-Duel 2: I controlled the duel with Naturia Barkion, and he couldn't get through it.
-Duel 3: The duel was very back and forth. I was able to waste most of his resources and peck away at his LP with Scrap Beast. I negated the summon of his last hope, Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon, with Solemn Judgment and topped Scrap Chimera to go for game.

So yeah, I went undefeated, making up for yesterday. Now I can say that I've won a tournament every weekend this month, yay!

As the prize, I got 3/10 of a box of STOR Special Edition. That amounted to nine packs of STOR, two Light and Darkness Dragons, and one Hand of the Six Samurai. From the packs, notable pulls include Gleipnir, the Fetters or Fenrir and Guldfaxe of the Nordic Beasts.

Those were notable because I'm actually thinking about making a Nordic deck for fun. It seems like it could be really interesting. The only problem is the mass amount of Setting and reactive plays that the deck needs to work. It could still be a neat deck to try out, and aside from Vanadis, which is unnecessary, the deck is relatively inexpensive. I just need two more Tanngnjostr (black goat), two more Gleipnir, and a Thor.

So yeah, now I have a new deck to try and build. I don't like how combo-based it seems to be, but it could end up being competitive, if something bad happens to Scraps or something.

3 comments:

  1. I thought Salvo Chaos would have a decent match up against Scraps... guess not lol. And those Worms aren't a joke! I would Warning Xex too, card is very good.

    I might have to hop on this Nordic bandwagon. Too many jokes I can make with goats :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay more people playing Nordics! So will yours focus on Level 7 synchro summons by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Michael Bonacini

    I was playing around his Chaos Sorcerers and such. It's not to difficult when he can't mount an offensive without them.

    @Anonymous

    I'm not sure how I'm going to make my Nordic deck. Tanngnjostr sort of centers the deck around Level 7 Synchros, but I don't know exactly how I'll make the deck.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.