Saturday, November 26, 2011

Tournament Report 11/26/11

As I said yesterday, I would be able to go to locals again today. Of course, I took my T.G. Zombies, since all of the other decks I have right now aren't really good enough for tournaments... Sad...

There were 38 players today, including plenty of regulars. There's really too many to list. There were also plenty of new people; one of my friends said that many of them went to Sunday tournaments, but they're new to me.

Round 1: vs Newbie X-Sabers

He ran Gardestrike, hence "Newbie X-Sabers." Trishula is really mean to newbs...

Round 2: vs Blackwings

-Duel 1: I controlled with Traps and Gorz and such. He didn't really draw into many Shuras/Boras, and I Creature Swapped the one Shura he did draw, so it wasn't too difficult.
-Duel 2: I feared Heavy Storm and Icarus Attack and played conservatively with my back row. That doomed me when he just used a Mystical Space Typhoon to clear out my one card and OTK me.
-Duel 3: I drew out his Gorz fairly early, sent it back to his hand with Compulsory Evacuation Device, then summoned Trishula. I missed his Gorz (I had a 50% chance), but I was able to defend with Dimensional Prison and kill him with Splendid Rose.

Round 3: vs Vayusworn

I think that I had played against this guy before, but it would have been years ago.

-Duel 1: He milled a lot quickly with two Lylas, but I dropped Trishula to remove the Lumina in his Graveyard and the Wulf on his field to cut down on the Lightsworn count in his grave. I ended up dropping Ally of Justice Decisive Armor using his Ehren, Goblin Zombie, and Plaguespreader Zombie. That discarded his Judgment Dragon and went for game on the following turn.
-Duel 2: I made Decisive Armor very early in the duel, but his only Light was a Judgment Dragon, again. Either way, I was able to beat him up with the Decisive Armor and a Number 39: Utopia (I would've made Steelswarm Roach, but Decisive Armor showed me the Sirocco in his hand). Either way, there wasn't much he could do after that.

Round 4: vs Newbie Wind-Ups

This was my Round 5 opponent from this tournament. Trishula was really mean to him both games. My Duel Terminal Trishula seems to be much more evil than the Secret Rare one, ha ha.

Round 5: vs Diva Zombies

This was my Round 2 opponent from this tournament. I overheard his friends and brother tell him not to split, and I was perfectly fine with that (not because I expected to win, which I did, but because the prizes today were really good today because there were so many participants, even for second and third place).

-Duel 1: I opened with a Set Goblin Zombie. He Set Goblin Zombie and a back row. I Tribute Summoned Caius, just like in the Zombie/Lightsworn format, ha ha. After a while, he swarmed with my Spirit Reaper (Monster Reborn), a Goblin Zombie, and Dark Armed Dragon. I had enough outs in my hand to not care what he hit with Reaper. He missed my Dark Hole, so I played it. After that, I beat him down with Mystic Tomato for a few turns, and he didn't have any answers.
-Duel 2: I played conservatively with my back row again, fearing Heavy Storm, and lost out to Mystical Space Typhoon and a random swarm. I was already down too many cards since he Trishula'd me using Deep Sea Diva and Mystic Tomato.
-Duel 3: We started off just Setting Monsters, just like in the Zombie/Lightsworn format. I drew into my Caius, banishing his Set Goblin Zombie and running over the other one. He stalled for a bit behind a Spirit Reaper, and I just sat there gathering resources. I eventually made a Brionac/Mezuki play to bounce his field and swarm for game. He said that if I didn't kill him that turn, he would've killed me on his turn, but I had a Maxx "C" in hand and a decent back row, so I was pretty safe, even if he did have Gorz.

So yeah, I went undefeated and got 1st place and a mess load of store credit. I got a couple of packs of sleeves, some more Bottomless Trap Holes, and a Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon tin. From the packs in the tin, I pulled a Forbidden Lance and an Ultra Rare Gladiator Beast Essedarii. I traded both to the friend that I played against after this tournament, and we had a few duels afterwards.

He rebuilt his Gladiator Beast deck, and I used my not-so-great Karakuri deck to test it out. We played five duels, and I won four of them. Two were due to me sniping his Solemn Judgment/Starlight Road with MST, then playing Heavy Storm on his remaining three/four back rows. Good stuff.

Because I got that Galaxy-Eyes tin, I once again have two Solemn Warnings, and now I have three Fossil Dyna Pachycephalo. I don't think I'll be using them in my T.G. Zombie deck, but we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.