Saturday, April 14, 2012

Tournament Report 4/14/12

So, I ended up going to the second Dragons Collide Sealed Deck tournament today.  As I've probably said, I'm planning on getting three of the Structure Deck, so might as well have a chance of winning the nice mat, too...

Round 1: XOX

This was my Round 1 opponent from last week's normal tournament.  I hoped that his Lightsworn luck wouldn't transfer over to this, but...

-Duel 1: He drew all of his boss Monsters, so while I did get out a Chaos Sorcerer, I couldn't really do anything.
-Duel 2: The game whittled down to him just having Lightpulsar and two back rows.  I summoned Herald of Creation to discard my Blue-Eyes White Dragon and grab back my Dark Armed Dragon with six Darks in grave.  I discarded the Dark Armed Dragon and a Kaibaman to revive my Lightpulsar Dragon, then used A Wingbeat of Giant Dragon to bounce it and destroy his back rows.  I Special Summoned the Light Pulsar Dragon by banishing an Eclipse Wyvern, letting me get back my Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon.  I discarded it and a random dead Spell for Magical Stone Excavation, grabbing back a Reasoning.  I played it, he called Level 4, and I lost my Snipe Hunter.  But, I crashed my Lightpulsar into his to revive my REDMD, letting him get a Vice Dragon.  He couldn't do anything from there, so I won.
-Duel 3: I had to Book of Moon my own Vice Dragon to protect myself from his Prime Material Dragon.  That Vice Dragon and a Gragonith were the only Monsters I drew, so obviously, once he got over my Vice Dragon, I lost.

So, I just sat around playing some Mega Man Star Force on my DS.  I then talked to one of the Vanguard players, and he said that Duelmasters was coming back to the United States under Wizards of the Coast or something.  If that's true, then I'd totally play Duelmasters competitively. It's a really fun game, so I'd love to be able to play in tournaments and stuff.

But yeah, eventually the normal tournament started.  As I said last time, I really wanted to switch decks, but I didn't have time.  This week, all my time was wasted reading Homestuck on mspaintadventures.com.  I had found it on pointlesssites.com, and it seemed like one of those things where you have a semi-interactive story and it'd be a fun way to waste an hour.  But, I spent every moment of free time reading it since I found it; it's such a good story.  I'm really into the whole video game thing, like in .hack (Dot Hack), and the whole time travel/paradox thing.

So yeah, I just went with my Nordic Diva deck again.  And, there were 17 players today.  It seems like the number of participants has been really low lately; the only people who come are the regulars and the newbs.  It seems as though many of the intermediate players have quit.

Round 1: vs Newbie Spellcasters

Uh, yeah... He honestly didn't put up a fight at all, but it was his first time and all, so I tried not to kill him too badly.

Round 2: vs Bubble Beat

This was my Round 2 opponent from this tournament.  I mentioned that I didn't expect him to play HEROes, he asked why, and I said that if he doesn't draw Miracle Fusion, he loses.  He said that Miracle Fusion is "nothing", so every time played Miracle Fusion throughout the match, I kept mocking how he said that Miracle Fusion is weak.

-Duel 1: He went first, and I was unable to mount any sort of offense.  Multiple Gemini Sparks kept killing my Set Monsters.
-Duel 2: I was able to keep all of his Monsters off the field and just beat him down.
-Duel 3: I started with a Set Super-Nimble Mega Hamster and a back row, and he summoned Stratos, running into my Hamster and letting me get Ryko.  He Set a back row and ended.  I Flip Summoned Ryko to destroy his Stratos, then summoned Diva into Lost Blue Breaker to destroy his back row.  I overlaid for Gachi Gachi Gantetsu and ended.  He summoned Photon Thrasher and Bubbleman with two cards left in hand.  He then overlaid for Blade Armor Ninja and detached the Photon Thrasher so that he could play Miracle Fusion.  I banished his The Shining with Bottomless Trap Hole, and he attacked my Super Nimble Mega Hamster, forgetting Gantetsu's effect.  I Set a back row and ended.  He Set a back row as well.  I summoned Guldfaxe to Synchro Summon Scrap Dragon and destroy both of our back rows.  I Chained my target, Compulsory Evacuation Device, to bounce his Blade Armor Ninja, then attacked directly.  He topped Dark Hole to kill my Scrap Dragon, then played Miracle Fusion (a "nothing" card) soon after to make another The Shining and kill me.

Round 3: vs Newbie Chaos Agent Fairies

He had the money for the good cards, but he had no idea what to do with them.  After I beat him 2-0, he asked if he should put Destiny HEROes into his deck.  I said no, but he said he'd try it out anyways...

Round 4: vs Dark Worlds

This was my Round 5 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: She opened with two back rows.  I opened with two back rows and a Set Tanngnjostr (black goat).  She Set another card, then played Dragged Down Into the Grave, revealing a hand of Sillva, Snoww, and Grapha.  She discarded my Pot of Avarice (my other two cards were two Tanngnjostr; I drew all three...), and I discarded he Sillva.  She then played Deck Devastation Virus, destroying all of my Monsters, including the Spirit Reaper I had drawn off of Dragged Down.  For the next three turns, however, I drew all Spells and Traps, so at least I didn't lose any more cards.  Regardless, she had an overwhelming advantage, so all I could do was struggle to survive while observing her deck and play-style.
-Duel 2: I was able to make Thor against her Goldd and Sillva with Gates out.  I was able to destroy her Gates and keep Thor alive to win.
-Duel 3: This time, I was able to make Scrap Archfiend against he Sillva and Gates.  Because Scrap Archfiend is a Fiend, I also got the boost from Gates, letting me run over all of her Monsters pretty easily.  It also helped that I drew a Solemn Warning for the Morphing Jar she tried to Flip Summon.  To be fair, if she didn't try to Flip Summon it, I would've gotten rid of it with a Scrap Dragon I was setting up for.

So yeah, I ended up going 3-1 and getting 4th place.  Much better than the last two tournaments, but I'd still like to find another deck to play.  And while only the Top 3 got prizes today, I pulled a Super Rare Horn of the Phantom Beast from my Turbo Pack, so that was nice.

But yeah, I really need to figure out a new deck to play.  Luckily, I'll be getting my third Dragons Collide Structure Deck next week, so I'd be able to make a deck using cards from there.  If not that, I'll have to figure out something else.

After looking a little more into it, I don't feel comfortable playing Infernities without the one Infernity Barrier, so I won't be running that.  I also don't like Karakuri because they're not very good.  Vayu Turbo's not that great because Armed Wing is too weak; if it were 2600 ATK, or at least 2500 ATK, then I'd be okay with it, but it's not.  HEROes are bad because you lose if you don't draw your support; I do like HEROes but they're either dependent on Fusion Gate or having a massive back row.

Maybe I'll try out Dark Worlds; they don't seem too bad.  I don't really like the deck, but every deck except Six Samurai seems to have a bad match-up against it, so why not, right?  Or, I could try out a Ninja deck with Deep Sea Diva...

8 comments:

  1. Haha..., I'm one of those Newb out of 17 players today. I got 15th place with my Dragon Collide Structure Deck. Anyway, you should run the Ninja Deck with Deep Sea Diva. I want to see that deck play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How about chaos dragon ninja since you'll be getting a 3rd dragons collide structure deck anyway. It's pretty much solid and have access to rank 4. Not sure if it's competitive enough in regional though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about that, but I feel like it's somewhat inconsistent. I don't like playing Ninja if all I'll be using is Upstart Golden Ninja and Hanzo, because then the Super-Transformations are dead if you don't draw them.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, I agree but it still more consistent than lightsworn dragon though but that's a matter of preference. Still, considering you have the playset required to build I think it might be a good idea to give it a try.

      Delete
    3. Eh, I'm kind of reluctant to use Ninja at all because they're so vulnerable to Effect Veiler. They really don't have any power plays without Hanzo...

      Also, a few people at my locals still stick to Gravekeeper's or Malefic Skill Drain, so Necrovalley would be a huge problem for any Chaos deck.

      Delete
  3. homestuck...the best. Wait til you catch up haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. What act are you at in Homestuck? Also you should listen to the OST some of the stuff is really great. One of my favorite albums is Medium (I love listening to Rain after a long day) http://homestuck.bandcamp.com/album/medium

    Also I think this vid is relevant
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A53AHe7yORg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in Act 5 Act 2.

      I do listen to some of the songs after hearing them during the story. My favorite song from Homestuck so far is Sburban Jungle.

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.