Saturday, February 25, 2012

Tournament Report 2/25/12

So, this would be the last tournament for the format for me, not that the ban list is going to change the format in any way... I could literally take my Scrap Worms to locals next week and it would be exactly the same as it was this week.  So yeah...

There were 19 players today, but quite a few of them were little kids.

Round 1: vs Newbie Agent Fairies

Oh right, this deck got killed by the ban list.  So yeah, I guess I won't have to worry about this next format...

-Duel 1: I didn't draw any Scrap cards and died to a double Hyperion rush with Return from the Different Dimension...
-Duel 2: I killed him pretty quickly with Scrap Twin Dragon.
-Duel 3: He went first and opened with Valhalla and Kristya... I just summoned Scrap Beast and Set two back rows.  He attacked with Kristya, and I used Scrapstorm to grab my Scrap Goblin to stall.  Next turn, he tributed Kristya for Tethys, then used Monster Reborn on the Kristya.  I had to use my Solemn Warning to negate the Monster Reborn, and he attacked to flip my Goblin.  From there, I was able to take control with Mind Control and Scrap Chimera.

Round 2: vs Tengu Plants

This was my Round 3 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: I opened with a really powerful hand of Worm Xex, Scrapyard, Mind Control, Fiendish Chain, and two Scrap Chimeras.  He made a couple of Synchros using Reborn Tengu and Glow-Up Bulb, but I bounced one with Worm Yagan and stole the other with Mind Control to make Scrap Twin Dragon.  His Main Decked Compulsory Evacuation Device bounced it a turn later, but I had the Chimeras to make Scrap Dragon and keep control of the game.
-Duel 2: The only Monsters I drew were Effect Veilers and Worm Yagans.  I was able to hold off his Tengus for a bit with a Yagan, then bounce the Stardust Dragon he made with the other Yagan, but I couldn't deal with his Utopia and died.
-Duel 3: I opened with a Set Worm Yagan and a couple back rows.  He Set a couple back rows and passed.  We went draw-pass-draw-pass for a couple of turns, then I summoned the only Scrap card I drew, Scrap Chimera to poke for some damage.  He banished it with Dimensional Prison after a turn.  He then used Foolish Burial to dump Dandylion, then summoned Spore.  He made Formula Synchron, then stole my Worm Yagan with Mind Control to make Gaia Knight.  I took its attack directly, then played Dark Hole on my turn.  I Set the Gozen Match I drew and ended.  He summoned Spirit Reaper and attacked.  My hand was Monster Reborn and Mind Control, so I wasted my Compulsory Evacuation Device to protect my cards.  But, then he flipped his Set Call of the Haunted to revive his Gaia Knight and attack directly.  I summoned Worm Xex, but he bounced it with Compulsory Evacuation Device so I couldn't revive Yagan.  So, I played my Mind Control and Monster Reborn, stealing his Gaia Knight and Formula Synchron, respectively, to make Scrap Dragon.  I attacked him to drop him down to 3400 LP.  He summoned Lonefire Blossom and tributed it to get Glow-Up Bulb in Defense Position and ended.  I summoned Worm Xex and  Set the MST I just drew.  I targeted my MST and his Glow-Up Bulb with Scrap Dragon's effect, forcing his Effect Veiler.  I attacked over the Bulb with Xex, then directly with Scrap Dragon.  He summoned Spirit Reaper, then activated Spore's effect.  I Chained Gozen Match, sacrificing my Worm Xex to seal the duel.

Round 3: vs Inzektors

This was my Round 2 opponent from this tournament, AquaBass of Dueling Network.

-Duel 1: He started with a Set Monster and some back row.  I searched Scrap Beast with Scrapyard and summoned it.  I attacked to kill his Inzektor Hornet, then Set a back row.  He summoned Inzektor Centipede, which I banished with Bottomless Trap Hole.  I poked for a little more damage using Worm Yagan and Scrap Beast, then Synchro Summoned Stardust Dragon and Set a Trap.  He summoned Inzektor Dragonfly, and I flipped Solemn Warning.  He then revived it with Monster Reborn, but I negated its effect with Effect Veiler.  He was stuck, and I was able to keep pushing with the Stardust Dragon to take the duel.

Since I had won the first duel, I decided to try an interesting Side Deck tactic, which was to side out my whole Worm engine.  I mean, the Scraps do pretty well against Inzektors since I have Scrapstorm to dodge Hornet, while the Worms are basically just non-Tuners that are there.

-Duel 2: He opened with Tour Guide for Sangan and ended.  My hand was kind of weird; something like Cyber Dragon, Scrap Goblin, Scrap Orthros, Effect Veiler, Bottomless Trap Hole, and something else.  I was able to make Stardust Dragon with the first two cards, then Set the Bottomless.  He held out behind the Sangan for a while, since I didn't want him searching the Hornet.  But eventually he Duality'd into it.  I used Bottomless on his Centipede, but he summoned Dragonfly, which I negated with Veiler.  He then dropped Dark Armed Dragon, then flipped Fiendish Chain on my Stardust Dragon, letting him destroy my Set back row safely.  I Chained it to Dark Armed Dragon's effect, however, using Compulsory Evacuation Device to send it back to his hand.  Then, I made Brionac using my Scrap Goblin, courtesy of Monster Reborn, and his Inzektor Dragonfly, courtesy of Mind Control.  I decided to attack over his Sangan and let him search his Dragonfly, since I had a Set Crevice Into the Different Dimension to deal with the Hornet.  But, he used Dark Hole before summoning the Dragonfly.  Crevice banished his Hornet and other Dragonfly.  Unfortunately, my last card was Scrap Orthros, and I kept drawing summon response Traps, so I died slowly to his bunch of 1000 ATK wienies...
-Duel 3: I opened with two Dust Tornadoes, Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror, Effect Veiler, Scrap Beast, and Scrapstorm.  It was looking up, as I summoned the Scrap Beast and Set Scrapstorm and one Dust Tornado.  He Set two cards and ended.  I destroyed one of them in the End Phase with Dust Tornado and used its second effect to Set my second Dust Tornado.  I attacked directly with Scrap Beast for a little damage, then ended.  He played Dark Hole, to which I Chained Scrapstorm to grab a Scrap Chimera.  Then he summoned Inzektor Centipede to poke.  I summoned Scrap Chimera to revive Scrap Beast, then ran over his Centipede and made Scrap Dragon.  He Duality'd into Tour Guide, then Set another back row and ended.  I destroyed the newly Set card with Dust Tornado and Set my Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror with its second effect.  I Set a Scrap Beast from my hand to target with the Dragon's effect to destroy one of his two remaining back rows, which he Chained: Fiendish Chain.  I just ended.  He summoned the Tour Guide, and I Chained Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror to its effect.  He negated my Mirror with Solemn Judgment, then Special Summoned the second Tour Guide to make Wind-Up Zenmaines and attack over my Set Scrap Beast.  He Set another back row, I topped Cyber Dragon.  I Tribute Set it over my Scrap Dragon, then fused it with his Wind-Up Zenmaines for Chimeratech Fortress Dragon.  He used his Solemn Warning to negate its summon, dropping down to 350 LP.  I had most of my LP left with Mind Control, Dark Hole, and two Effect Veilers in hand, so I was feeling pretty good.  He Duality'd into Hornet and Set it.  I drew and summoned Scrap Goblin.  Mind Control took the Hornet so that I could Synchro into Brionac, and I attacked for game.

Round 4: vs Wind-Ups

This was my Round 5 opponent from this tournament.  Because there were so few players here today, this would be the finals.  And, because the prizes weren't too major, we decided to just play for it.

-Duel 1: I won my first dice roll of the day and Set Worm Yagan and a couple back rows.  He Set a Monster and a couple back rows.  Mystical Space Typhoon destroyed one of them in the End Phase, and I used Mind Control to steal his Wind-Up Magician.  I searched Scrap Beast with Scrapyard and made Stardust Dragon, attacking directly for 2500 damage.  I Set a second back row and ended.  He used his Set MST to try and destroy the card I had just Set after he drew for his turn; I negated with Stardust Dragon.  He summoned another Wind-Up Magician, then activated Wind-Up Shark from his hand.  I Chained Fiendish Chain to negate his Magician's effect, forcing him to overlay for Utopia.  He declined to attack, expecting the Worm Yagan, so I just revived Stardust in his End Phase and took my turn.  I Flip Summoned the Yagan, but he negated its effect with Veiler.  So, I just summoned Scrap Chimera to revive Scrap Beast and make Scrap Dragon to destroy his Utopia.  He scooped at that.
-Duel 2: I opened with a really awkward hand of two Worm Xex, Scrap Beast, Effect Veiler, and some other Monster (it might've been another Scrap Beast or Veiler...).  He went first and Set a couple of back rows.  I used the MST I drew on his Set Bottomless Trap Hole, then summoned a Worm Xex, sending Yagan to the Graveyard and reviving it.  I attacked directly and ended.  He Set a Monster and ended.  I attacked with Xex to flip his Wind-Up Magician, then sent it back to his hand with Yagan and overlaid for Utopia.  He negated Utopia's summon with Solemn Warning, so I summoned my second Worm Xex, using its effect to dump the third Xex from my deck.  He used Crevice Into the Different Dimension to banish a Xex and Yagan in the grave to prevent me from reviving Yagan again, and I ended.  He Special Summoned Cyber Dragon, attacked Xex, and Set a Monster.  I drew Maxx "C" and Set Scrap Beast.  He attacked again and Set another Monster.  I topped and summoned Scrap Chimera, but it got destroyed by his Solemn Warning.  He summoned Sangan, Flip Summoned Tour Bus from the Underworld, and overlaid them for Wind-Up Carrier Zenmaity.  He then played Wind-Up Factory and activated Zenmaity's effect.  He thought that Factory's effect Chained to Zenmaity's effect so that he could search Shark, then Special Summon it, but I explained to him why this was not the case.  So, I Chained Maxx "C", and he ended up Special Summoning Wind-Up Rabbit and searching Shark with Factory.  I drew a card for Maxx "C", then he sent my Scrap Beast back to my deck with Tour Bus' effect.  He attacked to flip my Scrap Goblin, but didn't want me getting back my Chimera, so he stopped there.  He left out his Zenmaity and Cyber Dragon, so I fused them for my Chimeratech Fortress Dragon.  I entered my Battle Phase and he assumed that I wanted to attack his Wind-Up Rabbit.  I instead attacked his Set Monster, which was obviously the Wind-Up Magician I had bounced earlier, then he said that he wanted to use Effect Veiler on my Chimeratech, so I would be back in Main Phase 1.  I Tribute Summoned Cyber Dragon using the Chimeratech, then attacked over his Magician anyways.  Then I Set a Solemn Warning and Synchro Summoned Scrap Dragon.  I used its effect with priority to destroy his Factory and my Warning, playing around the Rabbit's effect.  He summoned Wind-Up Shark, reduced its Level, and overlaid for Wind-Up Zenmaines. He then played Dark Hole.  I had to think a bit to understand his intentions; he wanted to destroy Scrap Dragon, then the Scrap I would revive by using Zenmaines in the End Phase.  So, I Chained Effect Veiler to Dark Hole, negating Zenmaines' effect.  His Zenmaines died and I got back my Chimera.  Over the next few turns, he just drew a bunch of random useless back row, and I poked him four times with Scrap Chimera for game.

Random note: If you end up reading this, Wind-Up guy, then here's a link describing the whole situation with Effect Veiler.  I link to the second page because the first page is just them arguing about the ambiguity of the rulebook; the answers to the main questions are on the second page, and it is an interesting read if any of you who want to learn a little more about how the Phases work.

So, I ended up going undefeated and getting 1st place!  So I guess that Scraps are somewhat viable for this format, seeing as how people at my locals don't seem to have Maxx "C"s.  Personally, I'm thinking about selling my play-set, since that would net quite a bit of money, and it doesn't really help my Scraps that much...

So yeah, I got a bit of store credit and ended up buying Inzektor Exa-Beetle and Wind-Up Arsenal Zenmaioh with it.  Not bad, seeing as how they're both good generic Xyz.  I'm thinking about buying a box of ORCS Special Edition, but it honestly just seems like a waste, since I don't really want to play any themes from ORCS anymore, and I still have my five Effect Veilers...

Hmm, so I'll basically have a bunch of money to spend with nothing to spend it on.  No, I'm not going to waste money on Tour Guides or Wind-Ups.  I was thinking Inzektors, but playing against them showed me how bad they can be.  I do have a nearly-full Infernity deck (missing one Mirage, one Barrier, and one Dark Grepher), but I don't want to take it to tournaments until I learn how to use it properly.  Perhaps HEROes will be a good choice once the Premium Collection Tin comes out.  We'll see, I guess...

Honestly, I feel like using another mish-mash deck that can use Rank 5 Xyz for some reason... Eh, we'll see what happens.

Oh, by the way, for everyone who comes to my locals, I want to revive the Yugilo format.  I'll post about it later this week, so yeah.

EDIT: I have scheduled the Yugilo format post to go up in a couple days.  I wanted to write it now while I had the time, but I didn't want to double post or anything like that... So yeah, you'll have to wait until then for that.

4 comments:

  1. Round 1 Game 3: You would not have needed to Warning the Christia - after being tributed, it is returned to top of deck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I noticed that the day after the tournament while looking up some rulings and such. I guess it would've worked out better for me if his Kristya was sent to the top of the deck, but it worked out either way.

      I also found out that Fiendish Chain does not actually negate Stardust Dragon's effect, as it works more like Skill Drain than it does like Effect Veiler.

      Delete
  2. Perhaps you should keep your playset of Maxx "C"'s, since after all they could be helpful with Inzektors; the obvious thing to side against 'em are Debunks but even that can get destroyed by an MST or anything that nukes a backrow.

    Anyway, good report.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is that I don't really want to play Inzektors anymore. I'm okay with sticking with Scraps for now, and they don't really need Maxx "C". I've been thinking about switching to HEROes, and they kind of do need Maxx "C", so I'm still thinking about it.

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.