Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Yugilo Format

As I said in my previous post, I'm trying to revive this format at my locals.  So, this post is more oriented towards people who go to my locals, but it might be an interesting idea for others to try out as well.

So, if you went to my locals when Yugilo was still playing, you might remember that he made his own format for his friends to play in for fun.  It was basically a budget format, since you could only play Commons and Rares, essentially.  It's a little more complicated than that, but it still is pretty simple.

First of all, you couldn't play any cards that were on the Forbidden, Limited, or Semi-Limited lists.  Basically, if the card isn't at three, it's banned in this format.  Therefore, you can only play cards that are Unlimited.  However, there's a twist.  You can only play one of each card in your deck.  So, while any card that isn't at three is banned, most cards that are at three at Limited in this format.

Furthermore, your Main Deck can only consist of Common cards.  So basically, your deck would be forty (or more) different Commons.  Like, Common Common; no Duel Terminal Common or anything like that.  There is no Side Deck.

As for the Extra Deck, it can only consist of Commons, Rares, or holos that were in Starter Decks.  So you can use stuff like your Super Rare X-Saber Wayne from the third 5D's Starter Deck or your Ultra Rare Number 39: Utopia from the Xyz Starter Deck, along with any Commons and Rares.  As with the Main Deck, you can only use one of each card, which means that you should have a lot of space for random stuff that you might not even be able to use, like Baby Tiragon.

And, this should go without saying, but I want to say it just in case, only TCG cards would be legal.  So even though the OCG has stuff like Common Pot of Duality and Wind-Up Zenmaines, we can't be using any of that.

Back when this format was still around at my locals, there wasn't that much we could do with it.  I remember Yugilo used something having to do with Beasts or something, and JB had a Normal Monster-based deck.  My deck was just a "good stuff" deck with some Genex cards, some Psychic cards, some Yusei Tuners (Junk Synchron/Debris Dragon/Quickdraw Synchron), a Frog engine, and some Monarchs.

Now that a bunch of new sets and Xyz Monsters have been released, the format should be much more interesting.  And with the new Legendary Collection and Ra Yellow Mega Pack, some themes that weren't viable before, like E-HEROes would be possible.

So, even though we have a horrible format to look forward to for the next six months (or at least three, until the Battle Pack comes out and Sealed Play is official), we'll be able to look forward to some fun games in the Yugilo format.  That is, if you guys decide to join in.  All it takes is for you to dig up some Commons and make a deck out of them; perhaps your Sakuretsu Armor and Bait Doll will finally be of use...

3 comments:

  1. ill bring a deck like this next time i come to locals xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you link up my blog? Thanks

    http://lostbluebreaker.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet..., I'm back now, so yeah I'm glad to be playing Yugioh! again. I'm glad you revived my idea "yugilo format". You had a killer Genex deck back then. I can't wait to see what exceed stuff you'll pull out. I'm looking forward to playing this format on Saturday. Thanks for the shout-outs as always. I'm glad you still thought of me even though I quit for six months. NOW IT'S TIME TO DUEL.... yugilo.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.