Monday, February 20, 2012

Tournament Report 2/19/12

So, I went to locals today with a revamped version of my Scrap Worms.  I added Gozen Matches to the Side Deck and changed the Main Deck a little bit.

There were about 50 players there today, but at least half of them were newbs.

Round 1: vs Karakuri

-Duel 1: I dropped Gorz early, but then he Synchro Summoned Karakuri Shogun mdl 00X "Bureido" and Naturia Barkion and beat me down a bit.  I Special Summoned Cyber Dragon, then used Monster Reborn on my Scrap Beast.  I Special Summoned Scrap Orthros, then Chained Scrapstorm to its effect.  I sent Scrap Goblin to the Graveyard and destroyed the Orthros to add a Scrap Chimera from my grave to my hand.  I Normal Summoned the Chimera to Special Summon the Goblin, then played Mind Control to steal his Barkion and Synchro up to Scrap Twin Dragon.  I then fused my Cyber Dragon with his Bureido to make Chimeratech Fortress Dragon.  1600 + 1700 + 2000 + 3000 = 8300 damage.
-Duel 2: I just made a Scrap Dragon and he couldn't deal with it.  That's why Scraps are good.

Round 2: vs Wind-Ups

This guy said that he remembered dueling me before when he was using Quickdraw Plants a long time ago.  He was familiar, but I didn't really remember.  Anyways, he's not a very good player, to say the least.  He dropped Gorz in game one and swarmed with Wind-Ups to kill me while I kept drawing random Spells/Traps.  I won game two after he looped me because I had dropped Maxx "C" and he still went for his combo.  I had drawn eight cards and just beat him up in a couple turns.  And because he took so long to think through simple plays, our third duel would be sudden death.  I lost to Magic Cylinder.

Round 3: vs Six Samurai

This was my Round 4 opponent from this tournament.  He had gotten a little better since last time, but he was still pretty bad.  But...

-Duel 1: I opened with no Monsters and did not draw any Monsters for many successive turns.  He just kept swarming, and while I was able to simplify the game with some Traps, his Monsters eventually overwhelmed me.
-Duel 2: I opened with a Set Scrap Beast and a couple back rows.  He started with Gateway, and searched Elder with Smoke Signal.  I dropped Maxx "C" preemptively, and he still pushed through with his Shi En.  He didn't have much back row, and after topping Scrap Chimera, I was able to control the duel with Scrap Dragon.
-Duel 3: He opened with Dojo, Elder, and Asceticism to make Shi En and Special Summon a Kagemusha to protect it.  I Set Worm Yagan and a couple of bluffs; I hadn't drawn any Traps.  He used Reinforce Truth and Elder (courtesy of Monster Reborn) to make Catastor, then pushed over my Worm Yagan.  I targeted Shi En with its effect, but he used Kagemusha's effect to redirect the target.  He then summoned the Kagemusha in his Main Phase 2 to protect Shi En again.  I summoned Worm Xex to Special Summon a Yagan and attack over the Kagemusha.  It didn't really matter, though, since he flipped Double-Edged Sword Technique on his turn and had the Magatama to protect it from my Warning.

So, I had just lost to two relatively bad players just because their decks carried them through their duels.  I guess that's what next format is going to be like... I considered dropping, but there would be three more rounds, so I'd just be sitting there for a few more hours doing nothing.  I wanted to record some duels for YouTube, but it would've been kind of awkward, since not many of my friends were there, and it'd be weird to just ask random people.  I was able to record one duel, though.

Round 4: vs Newbie HERO/Gem-Knights

I didn't even make Scrap Dragon.  I just beat him up with Utopia.

Round 5: vs Gladiator Beasts

This was my Round 3 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: He opened with Equeste and a couple back rows.  I played Scrapyard, searching and summoning Scrap Beast.  I played another Scrapyard after the summon was successful to add an Orthros to my hand.  He didn't want me to summon it, so he played Compulsory Evacuation Device to bounce my Scrap Beast.  I was okay with that, so I let him attack me with his Equeste and tag to Hoplomus.  I played Dark Hole to destroy it, then summoned the Scrap Beast again.  I attacked directly and Set the Scrapstorm I had been holding to go next to my Solemn Warning.  He Set a Monster and a back row.  I attacked with Scrap Beast, and he played Book of Moon.  I Chained the Scrapstorm, drawing Cyber Dragon and grabbing back Scrap Chimera.  I Special Summoned the Cyber Dragon and summoned the Chimera to revive the Scrap Beast.  I made Scrap Dragon, destroying Cyber Dragon and his Set Secutor.  I then Special Summoned Orthros to destroy itself and grab back my Chimera.  He summoned Murmillo and Set a back row, making it obvious that he had Gladiator Beast War Chariot.  I topped MST and used it on the card he just Set; it turned out to be a Dimensional Prison.  I used Scrap Dragon's effect to bait out the Chariot, and he did have it.  I revived Orthros with Dragon's effect, then summoned Chimera to revive Beast and make another Dragon.  I destroyed his last back row and my Orthros to grab my Chimera again, and he was top-decking.  And, we all know what happens when you're top-decking against Scrap Dragon.  That's right, you lose.
-Duel 2: I started with an awkward hand of all Monsters, but I was able to control his play with Worm Xex, an Effect Veiler, and a bluff Scrapyard.  The game went on to a point where he had Chariot Set and a Laquari and an Equeste.  I had a Set Worm Yagan and my bluff Scrapyard.  He switched the Equeste to Defense Position to avoid the Mirror Force I don't play, then attacked with Laquari.  Yagan's effect forced the Chariot, and he tagged for a second Equeste to get back the Chariot.  He Set it and ended.  I topped Cyber Dragon and summoned it and Scrap Beast.  I ran over both of his Equestes, then made Scrap Twin Dragon and ended.  He drew to two cards in hand, then summoned Bestiari and Set a back row.  I attacked with Scrap Twin, and he played Icarus Attack to destroy my Dragon and my Set Scrapyard.  Scrap Twin Dragon's effect Special Summoned Chimera, and I continued attacking with that over the next few turns while he kept drawing useless back row to seal the duel.

My Round 6 opponent ended up dropping, so yeah...

So, I ended up going X-2, which isn't very good.  I'm not sure of what to do, though.  I've been thinking about making Wind-Ups, since it's my type of deck, but everything's so expensive now.  People have been saying that the Wind-Up Rabbits have gone up to $50, and Wind-Up Carrier Zenmaity is around $30.  I would've been okay with the old prices ($30 and $20, respectively), but this is just crazy.

It makes me feel as though this format is just going to be another money format.  And while I do have the money, I'd rather not use it on children's trading cards that will be useless in another six months.  The last time we had a money format, I just played decks I liked to play and accepted the fact that I wouldn't win tournaments very often.  I might just have to do that again this format...

2 comments:

  1. On the duel with the six sam player, i may have misread it, but if he played reinforce truth during his turn to create catastor, he should't have been able to attack with it that turn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He used it during my End Phase. I didn't specify because I thought it was kind of obvious.

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.