Saturday, February 11, 2012

Tournament Report 2/11/12

I considered buying a box of Order of Chaos so that I could make a Ninja deck for fun.  But, with Order of Chaos: Special Edition coming out in a few weeks, it would be better to buy a box of that and get a bunch of Effect Veilers, too.

So yeah, I ended up going to locals today with my Nordic Diva deck.  I really, really wanted to switch to another deck, but I couldn't really think of anything else I could use.

There were about 28 players today, and only a couple little kids.  There were still quite a few newbs, though.

Round 1: vs Six Samurai

This was my Round 5 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: I went first, Setting Tanngnjostr (black goat) and two back rows.  He used Mystical Space Typhoon on my Compulsory Evacuation Device, then played Gateway.  He swarmed the field with Shi En, Grandmaster, and Kizan, Set one back row, then attacked with all of his Samurai.  I topped Reborn Tengu, Special Summoned Guldfaxe, then summoned the Tengu.  That made Scrap Dragon and got me the second Reborn Tengu.  I forced Shi En's negation with Mind Control, then tributed Tengu for my Set Enemy Controller to steal his Kizan.  Scrap Dragon destroyed the Kizan and the Gateway, and I attacked over his Grandmaster.  Unfortunately, he just flipped Double-Edged Sword Technique and swarmed me again.
-Duel 2: I started with a Set Super-Nimble Mega Hamster.  He activated Six Samurai United, then summoned Spirit of the Six Samurai and Kizan.  He drew two cards with United, then equipped Spirit to Kizan to attack over my Hamster.  I Special Summoned Tanngnjostr (black goat) and he drew for Spirit's effect.  He Set two cards and ended.  I flipped Tanngnjostr to get Guldfaxe, then summoned Reborn Tengu.  I Synchro Summoned Scrap Dragon and Special Summoned the second Tengu.  I then used Enemy Controller to tribute the second Tengu to steal his Kizan.  After I got the third Tengu, Scrap Dragon's effect destroyed my Tanngnjostr and his Set Mirror Force.  I overlaid his Kizan and my Tengu for Utopia, then attacked directly with it and Scrap Dragon.  He was able to make Colossal Fighter, but Utopia protected my Scrap Dragon, letting me go for game on the following turn.
-Duel 3: He summoned Kageki to Special Summon Kagemusha, Synchro Summoned Shi En, then Special Summoned Grandmaster and Set two cards.  The sixth card I drew was Maxx "C"... I Summoned Deep Sea Diva to grab a second Diva, and he flipped Rivalry of Warlords.  I Set a couple cards and ended.  He attacked the first Diva with Shi En, then ended.  I summoned my third Diva to grab Lost Blue Breaker to destroy Rivalry, letting me overlay for Gachi Gachi Gantetsu.  Unfortunately, my hand was too passive, so I just sat there for a while while he just attacked over all of my Monsters.  I even had to drop Tanngnjostrs just to protect my LP, and lost soon afterwards.

Losing the first round to a luck-based deck isn't fun... Oh, and speaking of luck-based decks...

Round 2: vs Infernities

Okay, I guess that Infernities aren't that luck-based, but if you open well, you don't even have to know what you're doing to win... And this guy really didn't know what he was doing...

-Duel 1: I started with a Set Super-Nimble Mega Hamster and one back row.  He Set four and ended.  I flipped the Hamster to Special Summon a Ryko, then attacked directly.  I Set three back rows and ended.  He drew, then flipped Infernity Inferno to discard Infernity Archfiend and send Infernity Beetle to his Graveyard.  He used Smashing Ground on my Hamster, then flipped Mystical Space Typhoon to destroy my Book of Moon.  He summoned Infernity Mirage, and I MST'd his Dimensional Prison.  He used Mirage to grab his Archfiend and Beetle, searching Necromancer.  He attacked with Archfiend, and I used my other MST on his Set Dark Bribe.  I used Gleipnir, the Fetters of Fenrir to search Tanngnjostr (black goat) and Ryko destroyed his Beetle with its effect.  When Ryko was destroyed in battle, I Special Summoned the Tanngnjostr and he ended.  I used Tanngnjostr's effect to grab Guldfaxe, then made Scrap Archfiend.  I Normal Summoned Deep Sea Diva to make Gachi Gachi Gantetsu, then ran over his Archfiend with my own.  I Set Torrential Tribute and ended.  He Set the card he drew, then summoned Infernity Necromancer.  I had to respond with Torrential, but it turns out that he had drawn Monster Reborn.  He grabbed his Archfiend to get Launcher, and used that to revive Necromancer and Beetle.  He then used Beetle's effect to grab two more, and he used them to Synchro Summon Stardust Dragon.  He attacked to detach the second Xyz Material from my Gantetsu, then ended without using Necromancer's effect.  I topped Monster Reborn and used it and the Guldfaxe in my hand to make Scrap Dragon, attacking over Stardust.  Scrap Dragon's effect destroyed by Gantetsu and his Necromancer.  He didn't top anything to save himself, so I was able to win.
-Duel 2: The end of this duel was basically the same as the previous duel.  Scrap Dragon dominated the field, and he couldn't stop it.

Round 3: vs T.G. Plants

I've played against this guy for fun a few times after tournaments, but I don't think that I've ever played him in a tournament before.

-Duel 1: I lost a lot of LP to a Striker/Warwolf/Tengu into Trishula play.  I was able to make Ally of Justice Catastor with Deep Sea Diva, but he drew two cards off of Maxx "C".  He then made a Stardust Dragon to destroy my Catastor, and ended up being able to make a Shooting Star Dragon because he drew so well.
-Duel 2: I had to grind out advantage with my Hamsters and Tanngnjostrs, eventually blowing up the field with Black Rose Dragon.  I attacked with Rai-Oh after that, but he dropped Gorz, the last card in his hand.  I was okay with that, because I could deal with it on my following turn, but he topped Mind Control to move my Rai-Oh out of the way and go for game.

So, after losing two rounds, I decided to drop from the tournament.  I had brought my video camera, so I was able to record a couple of matches to put up on my channel.  Those should be going up over the course of the week.

So yeah, I was pretty disappointed with my Nordic Diva deck today.  It's just too passive, which is the initial problem I had with Nordics at the beginning of the format.  So, I'm definitely going to switch decks for next weekend.  If I can't think of anything else to run, I'll probably just use some sort of Scrap variant.  Scraps do pretty well against Six Samurai, and they're quite popular at my locals for some reason...

8 comments:

  1. Sams have seen a spike in popularity after the results in mexico. I had to play two sams in 3 rounds of locals today.

    I really think you should pick up heroes, they have so much support, you can go in any direction with the deck based on your meta. Some interesting builds i can reccomend are heroGate and BubbleBeat, which gets much better when we get masked hero acid

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having to play against two Six Samurai decks doesn't mean that had a "spike in popularity". YCS Mexico had nothing to do with the popularity of Six Samurai players at my locals; they have all been playing Six Samurai for at least a year.

      I've been thinking about HEROes, but they lose to Samurai, so that's no good.

      Delete
  2. "and they're quite popular at my locals for some reason..."

    *chuckle*Now, I wonder really what that reason might be!*chuckle*


    Every time I read your tournament reports, you always get to summon Scrap Dragon a dozen times even when you don't play Scraps!XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've always been popular at my locals for some reason. It's just a few of the regulars who have been playing them for at least a year.

      Yeah, Scrap Dragon is really good, which is kind of why I want to switch back to Scraps.

      Delete
  3. I don't know if you knew, but the reason why Six Samurais did well in Mexico is because of the poor rulings against Inzectors. The hype of Six Samurai will be temporary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest. Your Scrape Dragon is your Avatar! Bomb like a boss. Boss!

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.