Sunday, October 3, 2010

Tournament Report 10/3/10

I went to locals on a Sunday again. It's just because I couldn't go yesterday. Sundays are more challenging, which is good, but only first place gets a worthwhile prize. That's basically why I try to go on Saturdays, not that anyone cares. Either way, there were over 40 people there today.

So, I went with a "pure" Scrap deck. It's practically pure Scraps, but I teched in one Ryko and one Battle Fader. I never got to use either of them or the Monster Gate I was testing out. Regardless, I sided into Anti-Stun Scraps. Most of the competitive decks this format are Stun decks, so I side against Stun. It worked very well, actually; I'll probably make a post about how to side into Anti-Stun eventually.

Round 1: vs Warriors

This guy wasn't a newb, but he wasn't very competitive. I won both duels with Scrap Dragon and such.

Round 2: vs Scraps

I was not prepared at all for a Scrap mirror match. However, I was pretty confident, because I assumed that he was running an inferior Scrap variant. Not to be all arrogant, but Scraps are really hard to build, and basically every variant I've seen is questionable. I found out that this guy was running a Super-Nimble Mega Hamster/Ryko build. Regardless, the nice part about a Scrap mirror match was not having to explain every single card I play.

-Duel 1: I let him waste his Scrap Chimeras first. Then I pushed through his Scrap Dragons with my own. He ended up misplaying against my double Scrap Dragons, and I had the Scrap Chimera that I had recycled for the third time in my hand to go for game.
-Duel 2: He sided into a Stun build, using Royal Oppression, Grave of the SuperAncient Organism, and Prohibition. I had control of the game, but he Prohibited the Scrap Chimera I was waiting on, and beat me down.
-Duel 3: This one was pretty quick. I started with control of the game. He summoned Scrap Chimera against my Scrap Dragon, but I used Book of Moon on the Chimera before he could Synchro. I played Giant Trunade, then showed him Scrap Chimera and Monster Reborn. He wanted me to play it out, but I won regardless.

Round 3: vs Gemini Stun

This was my Round 5 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: It took forever to explain why Rai-Oh can't negate Scrap Dragon's revival effect. Either way, I used Scrap Golem to revive Goblin and Synchro for Scrap Dragon again. He negated it with Rai-Oh, but I revived Golem with Dragon's effect and went for Scrap Dragon again. People don't seem to know that Scrap Dragon's revival effect will activate if its Synchro Summon is negated. I just won the duel from there.
-Duel 2: I Synchro Summoned Naturia Beast, and his hand was full of Spells and Monsters. He scooped after running out of Monsters.

Round 4: vs Blackwings

-Duel 1: He went first, Normal Summoned Shura and Set a back row. I searched Scrap Goblin with Scrapyard, Set it and two back rows. He used Icarus Attack in the End Phase on my back rows. He Summoned Shura, Bora, and Gale, then Mind Controlled my Set Goblin. He attacked with his Blackwings, then Synchro Summoned Armor Master and Black Rose Dragon. He Set a back row before ending his turn. I Special Summoned Cyber Dragon, then Normal Summoned Scrap Chimera. Chimera revived Goblin, which I tuned to Cyber Dragon for Scrap Dragon. I destroyed Scrap Chimera and his Armor Master, then attacked over Black Rose Dragon. He used Dark Hole, but I revived Goblin. I tributed Goblin for Scrap Golem to Synchro Summon Scrap Dragon again. He scooped a turn later.
-Duel 2: He started with three back rows after using Pot of Duality to get Kalut. I set Snowman Eater, Mystical Space Typhoon, and Seven Tools of the Bandit. He Summoned Shura then flipped Delta Crow - Anti-Reverse, but I negated it with Seven Tools. He then used his Set MST on my MST, which I Chained to destroy his last Set back row. He then Special Summoned Gale, and attacked with Snowman Eater. He declined to use Kalut, took 100 damage, and I destroyed Shura. I used Mind Control and Synchro Summoned Goyo Guardian. I attacked directly. He Summoned Blizzard to Synchro Summon Armed Wing, then Set Solemn Warning. I attacked to force out the Kalut. Under Trap Stun, I Synchro Summoned Thought Ruler Archfiend with his Gale (Monster Reborn) and a Cyber Dragon. I attacked over Armed Wing on my next turn to gain some LP. He drew another Blizzard, Synchro Summoned Goyo Guardian, and stole my Thought Ruler. I played Dark Hole, but he negated it with Solemn Judgment, leaving him at 1375 LP. Snowman Eater ended up destroying his Goyo Guardian, and I Synchro Summoned Scrap Dragon to destroy Thought Ruler. He scooped soon after that.

Once again, I was undefeated going into the final round.

Round 5: vs Gladiator Beasts

-Duel 1: He started with Laquari and a bunch of back rows. I used Mind Control and Summoned Scrap Goblin to Synchro Summon Scrap Archfiend, but he flipped Royal Oppression. Over the next few turns, it was like a Stun vs Stun battle, with us using one-for-one Traps to get rid of each other's Monsters. I Synchro Summoned Scrap Archfiend after using Raigeki Break on Oppression and beat him down for a few turns. However, he used Prisma and Call of the Haunted to fuse for Gyzarus and destroy my field. After that, he went into Heraklinos. I bluffed a Set Ryko by asking if he had Chariot, even though my Set Monster was Summoner Monk. He Set the Gladiator Beast War Chariot in his hand and passed. I flipped Summoner Monk and used its effect, but he flipped his Chariot and I scooped.
-Duel 2: I started with two Set Book of Moon. He Set a Gladiator Beast and a bunch of back rows. I Normal Summoned Scrap Beast, with Mind Control ready in hand, but he used Solemn Warning. I Special Summoned Cyber Dragon, but he used his second Solemn Warning. I was happy about that, and ended my turn. He activated Trap Stun, then Set Bestiari. He fused for Gyzarus, but I Chained one of my face-down Books. I showed him the second one, and he laughed, since Trap Stun was a complete waste. I summoned Scrap Chimera to revive Scrap Beast, then ran over his face-down Gyzarus. He revived it with Call of the Haunted to destroy my Monsters. On his turn, he used the Pot of Duality he top-decked to get a Smashing Ground, then attacked with Gyzarus. I took Gyzarus with Mind Control, then summoned Effect Veiler to Synchro Summon Scrap Archfiend. I used it to attack directly. He used Smashing Ground, then Set a Monster. I Set Snowman Eater. He summoned Laquari and attacked it, but it destroyed Laquari. I Summoned Scrap Goblin, Synchro Summoned Brionac, and bounced his Set Monster to attack for game.
-Duel 3: I didn't draw enough Monsters, and I got beat down by multiple Laquari. Not drawing my Side Deck cards didn't help, either.

I got 2nd place, which is good. Because I went 4-1, I won a Hobby League Neo-Spacian Grand Mole. I don't plan on using it, but it was better than the other Hobby League cards they had.

I put $7 more in the Duel Terminals, and got some decent pulls. I got a Naturia Cliff, Smashing Ground, Skill Drain, and a second Fabled Ragin. And, from the Turbo Pack 1, I pulled another Ryko, which I was happy with.

Overally, it was a pretty good day today. I almost forgot to mention that I was able to buy an Ultimate Rare Scrap Dragon. My search is finally over... Too bad I couldn't get any videos, though.

4 comments:

  1. Nice!!! =D

    Congrats on getting 2nd man! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LightGrunty, I wanted you to win. Thanks for letting my barrow the two Dark Simmorg and Junk Archer. You're a better player than all of them anyway. I don't want gb or lightsworn to win. I just don't like those deck personally and the players are usually too cocky about it when they win. Great job anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey your locals still gives turbo pack 1?
    are you taking scraps to regionals in Anaheim?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @GladialMaster7

    That was the last week they had Turbo Pack 1. They ran out when I went last weekend.

    I'm planning on taking Scraps to Regionals, seeing as how I don't have any other deck at the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.