Sunday, June 24, 2012

Tournament Report 6/24/12

As I have stated, I went to locals today with Aki.  He went with his HERO Beat deck with mained Skill Drains, and I used my Nordic Diva deck.  But before the tournament, we played a few games of Duel Masters, in anticipation of Kaijudo.  One of the regulars walked by and told me about how he used to play Duel Masters.  I told him about Kaijudo, since apparently he hadn't heard about it.

I actually spent a bunch of my free time during the tournament telling people to play Kaijudo.  I want the game to be popular enough (at my locals at least) so that it will take off and my locals will start hosting tournaments.  My main concern is that Kaijudo and Duel Masters are one of the most skill-intensive card games ever, since there are several decisions you have to make every turn.  The requirement of skill can turn people away from a game.  That's probably why Vanguard is doing so well...

Anyways, there were about 34 players there today.  About half of them were regulars, so that was good.

Round 1: vs Valhalla Agent Fairies

This was my Round 1 opponent from this tournament.  He still wasn't very good.

-Duel 1: He opened with Valhalla into Tethys, whereas I had a pretty passive hand.  However, he declined to attack my Set Monsters, letting me set up for Gaia Knight to keep running over all of his Monsters.
-Duel 2: I summoned Scrap Dragon pretty quickly and destroyed all of his cards.

OO

Round 2: vs Inzektors

-Duel 1: He swarmed pretty quickly with his Dragonflies to destroy all of my Set Monsters and kill me.
-Duel 2: I held onto my Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror until I could make a Stardust Dragon using Super-Nimble Mega Hamster and Guldfaxe.  Once I set that up, he couldn't do anything with his Inzektors.  Soon after, I was able to make a Tanngnjostr (black goat)/Deep Sea Diva play to make T.G. Hyper Librarian and Scrap Archfiend in the same turn.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to draw with Librarian's effect, but it was enough to finish him off.
-Duel 3: He went first with a Centipede and a Set back row.  I summoned Reborn Tengu, and he didn't have the Solemn Warning, so I ran over his Centipede.  He Set another back row and passed.  I attacked directly with Tengu, then Set an MST.  He Set a Monster and passed.  In the End Phase, I used my Mystical Space Typhoon on the card he had Set most recently, and it turned out to be a Forbidden Lance.  I summoned Guldfaxe, and he flipped Torrential Tribute.  It was odd that he would just summon the Centipede and Set Torrential Tribute behind it.  Either way, he destroyed both of my Monsters and his Set Effect Veiler, and I got to Special Summon my second Reborn Tengu and attack directly.  I Set one back row and passed.  He played MST, then dropped Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning.  With that, he attacked over my Tengu and directly to drop me to 3700 LP with just one card... I Set three back rows and a Guldfaxe.  He played Heavy Storm, then tried to banish my Set Monster.  I used Effect Veiler as kind of a bluff, hoping to draw something to save me.  But, he just summoned a Dragonfly and equipped it with Hornet.  I usually don't scoop, but I scooped at that.

XOX

Round 3: vs Chaos Dragons

Interestingly enough, I was paired up against one of the nine undefeated players.  It was my Round 2 opponent from this tournament.  I used to see him all of the time at tournaments, but I guess he doesn't have as much time for Yu-Gi-Oh as he used to.  Anyways, I offered to give him the win since he was undefeated and I couldn't really win anything.  We still dueled for fun, though.

-Duel 1: He didn't draw any Lightsworn Monsters, so he was stuck relying on Tour Guides to make pushes.  I made a Tanngnjostr (black goat)/Deep Sea Diva play to Synchro Summon T.G. Hyper Librarian and Scrap Archfiend to draw a card to get over the Leviathan Dragon he made with Tour Guide, but then he dropped his Tragoedia.  He wanted to get rid of both of my Synchros, but his lone Tragoedia couldn't do that, so he played Dark Hole.  Soon after, I Synchro Summoned Thor to take control of the game, and he couldn't get over it after milling all of his Rykos with his Solar Recharges.
-Duel 2: He milled quite a few cards with Solar Recharges, then Special Summoned Lightpulsar Dragon from his hand.  I took a direct attack from that, since I didn't want to flip my Torrential Tribute.  I then summoned Deep Sea Diva, which he let go, and I used it to grab another Diva and overlay for Gachi Gachi Gantetsu.  From there, I used Monster Reborn to take his Darkflare Dragon (the only Dragon he could revive with Lightpulsar), and thanks to Gantetsu, I was able to run over his Lightpulsar with Darkflare.  He dropped Chaos Sorcerer to try and banish my Gantetsu, but I negated it with the Effect Veiler I had been holding for the whole game.  He then dropped BLS, and I had to flip Torrential Tribute then.  After that, we were stuck passing back and forth, since neither of us really had any plays.  I Set a Spirit Reaper next to my Gantetsu after a while, since we were both low on LP and he had milled his Dark Hole.  He kept passing with an empty field, telling me that he had Gorz.  He had 2900 LP left, so I wanted to kill him in one shot to avoid Gorz or Tragoedia.  I drew a Guldfaxe and summoned it to tune to the Spirit Reaper and Synchro Summon Scrap Archfiend.  Because of Gantetsu, my Scrap Archfiend had exactly 2900 ATK, letting me finish him off.  Sure enough, he had the Gorz in his hand.

OO (but I gave him the win)

By this point, Aki was X-3 (he lost to my Round 3 opponent in Round 1, gave his friend a win in Round 2, and lost to a weird Chaos Dragon deck in Round 3), but he decided not to drop, so I decided to continue.

Round 4: vs Newbie Deck

This kid was pretty nice and didn't mind losing.  Of course, I won 2-0.

After that, Aki and I decided to just drop and play WeiB Schwarz.  We got our Turbo Pack 8's, and I pulled the Ultra Rare Skill Drain.  After rubbing it in vadangchoinga's face, Aki and I played a game of Weib Schwarz.  While we were playing, my Round 3 opponent came over and gave me his Turbo Pack since I had given him the win in our match.  From that Turbo Pack 8, I pulled a Super Rare Mirror of Oaths.  Quite nice, I'd say.

My Round 4 opponent from this tournament, whom everyone calls "Shien", since he always plays Six Samurai, also gave me a bunch of random cards (mainly Gishki stuff).  I still need two more Gishki Beasts, though.  Anyways, I'll be getting some of the Samurai Warlord Structure Decks and giving him a bunch of the holos from them.  He only wants the holos, and I actually want the Commons (like Kizan, United, and Fiendish Chain), so I think that it'd be a good way to repay him.

So yeah, I technically went X-2 today, but not really.  I also pulled the Ultra Rare Skill Drain, so I'm okay with these results.  By the way, if someone at locals wants the Skill Drain (maybe you want it for your deck, vadangchoinga...?), it's up for trade.

And, Aki and I will be going back to locals on Wednesday to get our Kaijudo Battle Decks.  I've made it abundantly clear to the store owner that I will absolutely buy the Battle Decks (I've been asking him about them or other Kaijudo-related releases every time I go...), so he will almost certainly hold a couple for Aki and me.  If you haven't been reading my blog posts from the past couple months, then I should let you know that I'm very excited for Kaijudo.  Even with only two Battle Deck sets between us, I think that we'll be able to do a lot, and it'll be a lot of fun to play.  So yeah, play Kaijudo!  If no one plays, then it'll just die out like Duel Masters, and we don't want that to happen.

13 comments:

  1. Won the tourney :). And I'll have to see about this kaijudo... I haven't really heard much about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats.

      Kaijudo is going to have the exact same game mechanics as Duel Masters, if you used to play that. If not, here's a summary of the rules:

      http://duelmasters.wikia.com/wiki/How_to_Play

      You can ignore the stuff about Psychic Creatures, Cross Gears, and Fortresses, since those won't be in the initial card set.

      Delete
    2. duel masters was such a great game, too bad it drop dead for most parts of the world

      Delete
  2. is vanguard doing well in your local card shop? also, what is your opinion on vanguard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My local card shop has Vanguard products, but does not host Vanguard tournaments.

      I think that Vanguard is one of the least skill-intensive card games in existence. You don't have the make very many decisions during gameplay, and the ones that you have to make are often very simple. There is no real penalty for attacking (you even get free cards when your Vanguard attacks...), and the decks are largely built for the players since they almost always have to have all of the cards in their decks as the same race.

      One of my friends who used to play Yu-Gi-Oh but now plays Vanguard actually told me why he switched games recently. It was because he couldn't win when he was playing Yu-Gi-Oh, but can easily win now that he plays Vanguard. I think that makes my point pretty well...

      Delete
  3. "The requirement of skill can turn people away from a game. That's probably why Vanguard is doing so well..."

    Love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, and it's sad to see games like that do well. Hopefully Konami doesn't take Yu-Gi-Oh any farther in that direction.

      But, there will hopefully be Kaijudo to fall back on, assuming it takes off...

      Delete
  4. I used to play Duel Masters and liked it. I dunno about this Kaijudo, first time hearing it. Though I doubt we will get it here in EU this year ... we just got like the first Vanguard starters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Kaijudo is only being released in the United States at the moment. If the game takes off, then it might be released in other parts of the world.

      Delete
  5. your only obstacle against vanguard is the art...

    have you seen how many boobed units there are in CFV? (which YGO can't follow since it'd be censored anyways)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that the fact that anyone can win at Vanguard makes the game popular. If guys want mature images, there's stuff like WeiB Schwarz and the entire Internet for that...

      Delete
    2. "that anyone can win makes the game skilled" theory lolz (it's basically a 4-deck game at the moment with imminent power-creep coming...

      for players who want their cards WITH mature image, I guess CFV captures that niche >_<
      less players for Kaijudo >_<

      Delete
    3. At my locals, there seems to be at least six people who would regularly play Kaijudo, and that's pretty good seeing as how the Battle Decks were just released today. It's looking pretty hopeful, even though there won't be any tournaments for at least a few months.

      Delete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.