Saturday, June 16, 2012

Tournament Report 6/16/12

So, I decided to use my Nordic Diva deck today.  Yeah, I saw one Dino Rabbit player and a bunch of Chaos Dragon players, which made me decide to use it, as opposed to my Scrap Worms deck.

The winner of this special tournament would get a 4-day Gen Con pass, and the Top 4 would get Galactic Overlord packs.  Everyone would get two Turbo Pack 8's for participating.  There were about 24 players there today.

Round 1: vs T.G. Stun - OXX

I was playing against vadangchoinga.  As usual, he was frustrated that he had to play against me.

-Duel 1: I was able to keep his Skill Drain off of the field and kept putting on pressure with my Set Monsters.
-Duel 2: I was able to destroy his Skill Drain again, but then he summoned Catastor.  I would be able to destroy it normally, but I drew my Lost Blue Breaker and no Monster removal.  I ran it over using Book of Moon, but the following attack from Utopia left him at 800 LP.  So, he used a Normal Summoned Thunder King Rai-Oh and my Thunder King Rai-Oh (courtesy of Monster Reborn) to make Utopia and Xyz Chaos Change it into Utopia Ray.  So yeah, I lost to that.
-Duel 3: I milled all of my Mystical Space Typhoons and wasn't able to destroy his second Skill Drain.  I lost to it and a Beast King Barbaros.

Round 2: vs Newbie Xyz - OO

He used D-Boyz.  Yeah...

Round 3: vs Gustos - XOX

-Duel 1: He destroyed all of my Monsters except Thor, then played Creature Swap...
-Duel 2: I summoned T.G. Hyper Librarian, then Synchro Summoned Stardust Dragon to draw a card.  He was top-decking at 1000 LP, so nothing could save him from that set-up.
-Duel 3: I dropped Thought Ruler Archfiend to protect myself from that Contact with Gusto Spell, but he Emergency Teleported out a Psychic Jumper to take control of my Thought Ruler.  I wasn't able to do anything against that, since I didn't draw any Monsters after that.

At that point, I just decided to drop and get my two Turbo Pack 8's.  I pulled a Lost Guardian from one and the Super Rare Upstart Goblin from the other.  Not bad, but I wanted two Gozen Matches, or at least an Alligator's Sword Dragon.  However, one of my friends said that he'd give me any Gozen Matches he pulled from his Turbo Packs, and he pulled two, so I now have my Rare Gozen Matches.

In the end, vadangchoinga got 2nd place, winning eight packs of GAOV.  He pulled a Hieratic Sun Dragon Overlord of Heliopolis and an Ultimate Rare Neo Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon, so he definitely made his money back.  My Round 2 opponent from this tournament won the tournament and the Gen Con pass with Wind-Ups.  It made me kind of want to make Wind-Ups, but meh.

So now, I'm considering what deck I would want to run next week.  I could still run my Nordic Diva deck, since it was kind of a fluke that I lost so badly today.  I could just add more Spell/Trap destruction to the Side Deck and continue to use it.  Or, I could use my Scrap Worms with a modified Side Deck for Lightsworns, Chaos Dragons, and Dino Rabbit.  I also have most of the cards I'd need for my Infernity deck; perhaps I could get some Tour Guides in a couple weeks.  And I do have my completed Hieratic deck, but I'm not sure exactly how I'd want to run it; it's a decent deck, but it's not really that competitive.

I am thinking about making a good stuff deck with T.G.'s, Deep Sea Divas, and whatever other good stuff I can think of.  It would be really weird, but I have a whole week to think of something.  It's just that with T.G. Striker Limited, it's hard to make anything good with T.G.'s.  Hopefully its restriction will get looser in September so that I can go back to running T.G. Zombies assuming Heavy Storm remains legal.  If Heavy Storm gets banned, then Scrap Worms become the go-to pick for the format.  But that's in another couple months...

So yeah, I'll have to figure out what to do by next Sunday, which is the day that I will attend locals, most likely with Aki.  We shall see...

1 comment:

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.