Saturday, June 23, 2012

Tournament Report 6/23/12

Surprise tournament report! But yeah, I decided that I had nothing better to do today, so I went to locals. I will still go tomorrow with Aki, in case you're wondering.

There ended up being 22 players. There were less than 10 regulars, so the rest were newbies.

Also, instead of putting the win/loss thing next to the deck I played against, I'm going to start putting it after the descriptions of the duels. It looks kind of weird, but it won't spoil the results as easily.

Round 1: vs Newbie Deck

He was running a Starter Deck with random stuff thrown in...

OO

Round 2: vs Karakuri

-Duel 1: I was able to make Thor, but he killed it with Sazank, which I wasn't expecting, as Sazank isn't normally played in competitive Karakuri decks. Then he plays the Karakuri Showdown Castle, and I realized he wasn't playing an optimal build. Whatever, I just made Scrap Dragon to lock him out of the duel.
-Duel 2: I was able to swarm a lot faster, making Scrap Dragon again to destroy his field.

OO

Round 3: vs Inzektors

This was my Round 1 opponent from this tournament. I guessed he switched back to Inzektors.

-Duel 1: I went first, Setting Sangan and Torrential Tribute. He summoned Inzektor Dragonfly, and I flipped Torrential; I searched Effect Veiler with Sangan. I drew another Veiler, which was cool, and pushed for some damage with Lost Blue Breaker. He then played Dimensional Fissure before summoning his Dragonfly, so my Veilers were dead. I lost because of that.
-Duel 2: I went first with Reborn Tengu and a Set Solemn Judgment. He Set three back rows and ended. I attacked with Tengu, then Set two more back rows to match him. He Set a Monster and ended. I used my MST on his Set Solemn Warning, then summoned Guldfaxe to Synchro Summon Thought Ruler Archfiend. He flipped Solemn Judgment, and I Chained my own. I got to Special Summon the second Reborn Tengu from my deck, then attacked his Set with Thought Ruler. It turned out to be a Ladybug, so I healed a little bit, then attacked with Tengu to drop him to 1450 LP. I Set a second card to my back row, and he flipped Royal Decree in my End Phase. I Chained the live Gleipnir to search Tanngnjostr (black goat). He used Monster Reborn on his Ladybug, then used its effect to equip a Hornet from his hand. He sent that to the Graveyard to destroy my Thought Ruler, then equipped his Ladybug with Zektkaliber and ended. I just summoned the second Guldfaxe (I had opened with two...) and made Scrap Dragon to run over his Ladybug for game.
-Duel 3: He went first, opening with Tour Guide into Sangan into Leviathan Dragon, detaching the Sangan to boost Leviathan. He also played Foolish Burial on his Hornet and Set one card. I played Dark Hole, Set Super-Nimble Mega Hamster, and Set three back rows. He used Mystical Space Typhoon on my Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror in the End Phase. He activated Heavy Storm, and I Chained Crevice Into the Different Dimension to banish his Hornet and Sangan. He Chained Call of the Haunted to save his Sangan, and I Chained MST to prevent the Call from resolving. With the back row cleared, he summoned his second Tour Guide to Special Summon his third Tour Guide and make Leviair. He used its effect to Special Summon the banished Sangan in Attack Position. He attacked my Set Hamster with the Leviair, and I Special Summoned Tanngnjostr (black goat) with its effect. He ended and I Flip Summoned my Tanngnjostr to Special Summon Guldfaxe. I tuned Guldfaxe to the Hamster to Synchro Summon Stardust Dragon and attack over his Leviair, leaving out my Tanngnjostr and his Sangan. I Set another Hamster and ended. He attacked my Tanngnjostr with his Sangan and Set a back row. I Flip Summoned my Hamster, Special Summoning Ryko, then summoned Guldfaxe. Using Hamster and Guldfaxe, I made Scrap Dragon. With its effect, I destroyed my Set Ryko and his Set Call of the Haunted. I attacked over his Sangan with Scrap Dragon, letting him search Dragonfly, then directly with Stardust Dragon. He was hoping to top-deck a Ladybug so that he could make a Tiras play, but he wasn't that fortunate, so he offered me the handshake. It didn't matter what he drew, since the last card in my hand was Effect Veiler, ha ha.

XOO

So, since vadangchoinga had defeated the fifth undefeated person who was paired down, the next round would be the finals. I was paired up against one of the regulars. Honestly, I didn't know who he was until last Saturday, despite him knowing who I was. But yeah, he wanted the win so that he'd get his picture on the wall, but you have to earn the picture to get it. We did agree to split the store credit, though.

Round 4: vs Chaos Dragons

-Duel 1: He went first with a Set Ryko. I played Mind Control, stealing it and Flip Summoning it to mill three cards. I then summoned Guldfaxe and Synchro Summoned Gaia Knight to attack directly. I then Set two back rows and ended. He Set another Ryko and ended. I Set a Super-Nimble Mega Hamster and ended. He Flip Summoned the Ryko, destroying my Gaia Knight, and milling an Eclipse Wyvern. He banished a Red-Eyes Darkness Metal Dragon with its effect, then summoned Tour Guide to Special Summon Sangan. He then banished Eclipse Wyvern and a Dark Monster from his Graveyard to Special Summon Darkflare Dragon, letting him grab back his REDMD. He banished the Darkflare to Special Summon it, and then I decided to flip Torrential Tribute. He searched Card Trooper with Sangan and ended. I Set a Monster and ended. He summoned the Card Trooper and milled three cards. Then he decided to play Dark Hole and draw from his Card Trooper. From there, he banished the Darkflare Dragon and a Light Monster from his Graveyard to Special Summon Lightpulsar Dragon from his hand and attack directly. I played the Monster Reborn I had been holding from my opening hand to steal his only Dark Dragon: REDMD. That ran over his Lightpulsar, and he had nothing to revive. I Set Tanngrisnir (white goat) and ended. He summoned Card Trooper and milled three before attacking my Tanngrisnir, letting me Special Summon two Nordic Beast Tokens. I summoned Deep Sea Diva, whose effect he negated with Effect Veiler. Whatever, I just Synchro Summoned Scrap Dragon with the Tokens and ran over his Card Trooper with it. He didn't have Tragoedia, so REDMD was able to attack him for game.
-Duel 2: He swarmed pretty early to drop me to 1600 LP. I was able to clear up his swarm with a swarm of my own, but unfortunately, that meant that I couldn't leave out random Beasts and such. Against his Chaos Sorcerer and no cards in hand, I Set a Super-Nimble Mega Hamster. He attacked it, letting me Special Summon Ryko from my deck and Tanngnjostr (black goat) from my hand. He Set the card he drew and ended. I Flip Summoned Ryko to destroy his Set Forbidden Lance, which he Chained to weaken my Tanngnjostr. I switched it to Attack Position to Special Summon Tanngrisnir (white goat), then Normal Summoned Guldfaxe. I wanted to make Thor, but I couldn't just leave the Ryko out, so I had to make Mist Wurm using Tanngnjostr (black goat), Ryko, and Guldfaxe. I obviously didn't bounce his Chaos Sorcerer, but instead ran it over. He drew and passed. I attacked with Mist Wurm directly and Set the dead Chaos Trap Hole I had drawn, along with a Guldfaxe. He topped Lightpulsar Dragon and Special Summoned it, ramming it into my Mist Wurm to revive his REDMD. He declined to attack either of my Monsters with it, reviving Lightpulsar with its effect in Main Phase 2. I topped Effect Veiler, which was great. Since he declined to attack my Tanngrisnir (white goat), I couldn't make Thor. But, Effect Veiler gave me another Level with which I could Synchro Summon. So I Flip Summoned Guldfaxe and tuned it to Tanngrisnir for Scrap Archfiend, then Normal Summoned Veiler and tuned it to Scrap Archfiend for Scrap Dragon. I ran over his Lightpulsar, then destroyed my Set Chaos Trap Hole and his REDMD in Main Phase 2. He didn't draw any cards to save him and surrendered.

OO

So yeah, I went undefeated and got 1st place. My Round 4 opponent got 2nd, and my Round 3 opponent got 3rd. The difference in the prizing between 1st and 2nd wasn't much, only a difference of like $5 in store credit. My Round 4 opponent got a bunch of Battle Packs, hoping to pull a Tour Guide (apparently, he only has one). He failed to do so, but gave me the Starfoil Doomcaliber Knight that he pulled.

So, using my store credit, I got a second Starfoil Doomcaliber Knight, since I've wanted to have them. I also got a bunch of sleeves: orange UltraPro's for me, black UltraPro's for Aki, and black Magic-sized sleeves for Aki (for Kaijudo!). By the way, we'll be going to get our Kaijudo Battle Decks on Wednesday, so expect a deck opening video soon after.

But yeah, I guess my Nordic Diva deck redeemed itself. It's not as good against Stun-esque decks as I would like, but I guess it does well against slower (non-Six Samurai) rouge decks and the top decks. At least I have Guldfaxe to help against Six Samurai, whereas Guldfaxe is practically a Normal Monster in every other match-up. So yeah, I'll be using it tomorrow as well. Tomorrow's tournament report may be delayed, though, depending on whether or not Aki and I decide to hang out and make videos after the tournament.

3 comments:

  1. What is wrong with the inzektor players in your Locals? What engine did they ran on? Card Trooper? If they are rich enough ,3 card car D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Inzektor player I played against today used Tour Guides instead of Card Troopers or Cardcar D's. Tour Guide can easily make Leviair to grab a banished Inzektor, or it could leave Sangan out to search Dragonfly, Hornet, or Ladybug.

      His build wasn't bad, by any means. He Main Decked Dimensional Fissure because he expected to see a bunch of Chaos Dragons today, and he was right. About a fourth of the players there today were playing Chaos Dragons. Not only that, but the Dimensional Fissure prevents Effect Veiler from negating Dragonfly or Centipede, which is amazing.

      Delete
  2. I like the spoiler change. Makes the report that much more exciting.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.