Saturday, July 30, 2011

Tournament Report 7/30/11

It feels like forever since I've last been to locals. That's probably why I forgot that I only run one Scrap Goblin now... I tried to search for it using Scrapyard after I sided it out in one duel... I need to remember not to side it out anymore...

Anyways, I went with my Scrap Worms, as usual. There were twenty players. Before the tournament, though, I dueled in couple of videos for Yugilo's channel using his deck against Yusei JB using their friend, Erik's deck.

Round 1: vs X-Sabers

This guy knew me from school, so he knew what I was playing and such.

-Duel 1: He Set a XX-Saber Darksoul and four back rows. I took it with Mind Control after summoning Scrap Beast and blew up the field with Black Rose Dragon. That won me the duel, basically.
-Duel 2: I wasn't able to draw any Scrap Tuners. I had to use Forbidden Chalice on my own Cyber Dragon to get over his XX-Saber Hyunlei, but he was able to get through it to kill me.
-Duel 3: I stole his XX-Boggart Knight with Mind Control to Xyz Summon my Utopia. It poked him for a few turns, then died to a Mirror Force. By that time, I was able to draw a Scrap Chimera to go with the Scrap Beast that died to that Boggart Knight, so I was able to control the game with Scrap Dragon from there.

Round 2: vs Junk Doppel

This was my Round 1 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: He opened with Lonefire Blossom into Tytannial. I was able to keep pushing back his swarms using Scrap Chimera, but, thanks to Pot of Avarice and Tuning, he had more Junk Synchrons than I had answers.
-Duel 2: I locked him down with Scraps from the start and had Effect Veiler and D.D. Crow to deal with his Monsters. At the end of the duel, with only 1400 LP left, he chucked a Monster to Special Summon Quickdraw Synchron, then played Pot of Avarice. I showed him a D.D. Crow and asked "Do you want to scoop?" Kind of mean, but the answer was yes, since he would've died next turn with nothing but the Quickdraw Synchron to protect him.
-Duel 3: I was able to wear him down pretty well for a while, controlling the field. When I went for game with Scrap Dragon, he flipped Book of Moon to stop the attack. Then he topped Junk Synchron with Doppelwarrior in hand. He summoned the Synchron and attempted to revive Effect Veiler. I Chained Maxx "C". Effect Veiler hit the field; draw a card. He Synchro Summoned T.G. Hyper Librarian; draw a card. He Special Summoned Doppel Tokens; draw a card. He tuned the Veiler to a Token for Formula Synchron. I Chained Effect Veiler to negate Hyper Librarian's effect, then drew a card. He ended there. I drew to seven cards in hand and pushed through his field with a Scrap Chimera and the Dragon that was already on the field, since he declined to attack it for some reason.

Round 3: vs Tengu Scraps

This guy knew I was running Scraps, but he didn't know I was running Worms. He was also pretty annoying.

-Duel 1: He opened with Summoner Monk, discarding Scrapstorm to Special Summon Scrap Beast and Synchro Summon Scrap Dragon. I Set Worm Yagan and two back rows. He attacked and lost his Scrap Dragon to Yagan's effect. Then he Set a back row. I summoned Worm Xex and lost it to Trap Hole. Yeah, just normal Trap Hole. After a while, he played Giant Trunade and went off with a Scrap Chimera. I dropped Cyber Dragon and Scrap Beast to make a Scrap Twin Dragon to run over his Scrap Dragon. He got back a Scrap Goblin, and I re-Set my back rows. He Set two back rows. I activated my Scrap Twin Dragon's effect to target his Goblin and one of the back rows. He used Effect Veiler. I flipped Mystical Space Typhoon to destroy one of the back rows, then flipped Call of the Haunted to revive Cyber Dragon. I summoned another Scrap Beast to make another Scrap Twin Dragon. It destroyed the Call of the Haunted to attempt to bounce his last two cards, but he flipped Scrapstorm. He tried to Special Summon Granel off of the destruction, but it Misses the Timing because Scrapstorm was Chain Link 2. The last thing that happened was Scrap Twin Dragon's effect. And that is why Granel is bad.
-Duel 2: We both opened with quite a few back rows, one of his being Royal Decree. His Reborn Tengu attacked into my Set Worm Yagan, which bounced the Tengu, letting him summon another. I summoned Scrap Chimera so that I could make an Orthros/Scrapstorm play, getting another Chimera to my hand. Then, I Xyz Summoned Utopia with Yagan and Chimera to run over one of the Tengus, which got the third. He Set the Tengu I bounced back. I summoned Scrap Chimera, but it got Veiled, so I Mind Control'd his Set Tengu and flipped it to Xyz Summon my second Utopia. They pushed through the leftover Tengu and were able to successfully beat him down. He tried to do something crazy, using Mystical Space Typhoon on his own Decree so that he could use Compulsory Evacuation Device, but I flipped Dust Tornado, targeting his Set Decree, which he flipped, negating both of our Traps. He would've lost either way.

At this point, there were only three undefeated players: JB, one of his friends, and myself. We agreed to a three-way split. Since the prizes for today's tournament were store credit for the Top 3, from there, we had to arrange our records in a way so that all three of us would be in the Top 3.

Round 4: vs Birdman Diva Tengu

I was playing against JB. We decided to duel first, then decide which one of us would move on to the finals.

-Duel 1: I opened really well, with Worm Xex, Scrap Beast, Scrapstorm, and Scrap Chimera. That basically let me push through whatever he had, so I won.
-Duel 2: I was struggling to get through all of his advantage-gaining engines for most of the duel. Worm Yagan countered Reborn Tengu pretty well, so that was good, but it just let him Xyz Summon Utopia on his next turn. Nearing the end of the duel, he topped the Pot of Avarice he was waiting for, letting him shuffle back three Reborn Tengu into his deck. Unfortunately for me, he drew one, crashing it into my Scrap Chimera, letting him summon another to go for game.
-Duel 3: I wore him down for a while with Thought Ruler Archfiend. After an attack from Scrap Orthros, he dropped Gorz, which I crashed into with Though Ruler. He was able to Synchro Summon Scrap Dragon, which was putting pressure on me for a while. I was finally able to set up a safe Scrap Chimera play, letting me crash into his Scrap Dragon with my own. That revived a Scrap Beast which attacked for game.

Round 5: vs Debris Plants

The reason I say Debris Plants and not Tengu Plants is because I didn't see any Reborn Tengu. Anyways, we decided that he would have the win, because he had worse tiebreakers than I did. Regardless, we still dueled; I thought he was running Tengu Plants and I wanted some practice against it.

-Duel 1: I opened with a Scrap Beast so that I could make an Orthros/Scrapstorm play. I drew Giant Trunade, which was good, but no back rows to Set. He opened with Lonefire into Tytannial, which ran over my Scrap Orthros. I summoned Scrap Chimera, but it got Veiled. He summoned Breaker the Magical Warrior (weird, but cool) and attacked with both of his Monsters. I used Dark Hole to clear the board and slowly gained advantage from there with Scrap Dragon. I didn't even draw into my Worms.
-Duel 2: He opened with One for One, discarding Dandylion, for Glow-Up Bulb. That made a Formula Synchron, then he summoned Debris Dragon. I used D.D. Crow to remove the Dandylion. He still had a bunch of advantage on me, and I was forced to use Book of Moon on his Ryko to prevent a Trishula play. I then summoned Scrap Chimera to make Scrap Dragon, which he destroyed with Torrential Tribute. The revived Chimera attacked, and he dropped Gorz. I couldn't get over it after that, and lost.
-Duel 3: He dropped Gorz again after a little while. I was forced to use Solemn Judgment on the Synchro Summon of his Scrap Dragon, since I didn't draw my Warnings all match for some reason. From there, his Gorz attacked my Scrap Beast, but I flipped Scrapstorm to get a Scrap Chimera. I took the direct attack and went down to 350 LP. I then summoned the Chimera, but the Scrap Beast I tried to revive got removed by D.D. Crow. I Set the Book of Moon and Nobleman of Crossout in my hand after considering whether or not to use them at that time. He attacked with Gorz, which I used Book of Moon on, then Set a bluff Foolish Burial, which I destroyed with Dust Tornado. I topped another Scrap Chimera and summoned it to revive another Scrap Beast. I flipped the Crossout and rushed him with my Scraps for game.

So I went undefeated today, but my official ranking was only second place, as I gave my Round 5 opponent the win. It's okay, though, since he gave me the store credit that didn't divide evenly between the three of us.

With that, I was able to get two Super Rare XX-Saber Boggart Knights for the X-Saber deck I'm planning to build once I get some Hidden Arsenal Special Editions. I was also able to get some sleeves and a Meklord Army of Granel (I had a dollar of store credit left, and I had traded away most of the ones I pulled at the Sneak Preview). Also, instead of getting a Turbo Pack 5, since there were out, I got a WoW TCG booster pack. Worldbreaker: War of the Elements, if that means anything to anyone.

So yeah, I was able to do pretty well today. Side Decked triple D.D. Crows really helped.

7 comments:

  1. Hey I didn't put your duel with my crappy deck up, lol, because you guys didn't finish the match. Anyway, just watch me get slaughter by Bao in round 2.
    Hope you make you World of Warcraft deck. Me, Erik, and Jb go done playing until 10 pm tonight. Yeah good job today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 D.D. Crows huh?

    Well, I guess retarded formats call for drastic measures! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Yugilo

    Well, you could still put the videos up. It's not like they were interrupted.

    @MaX

    Yeah, this format basically forces you to main, or at least side, drop-hand cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what do you think the top tier decks of next format will be? based on the most possible outcome of the banlist will you still play scrap worms?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Anonymous

    There's no "most possible outcome" for the ban list. Ultimately, we won't know until we get scans of the V-Jump in a few weeks.

    Depending on what the ban list ends up being, I may or may not continue to play Scraps. I doubt that they'll get hit by the ban list, but what matters most is what else is hit by the ban list. I always make my decks in such as way as to be able to beat most, if not all, of the top decks fairly consistently. So if the top decks change drastically, my Scrap build will have to, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you mind posting your decklist?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Anonymous

    Yes, because people in my area read my blog and watch my YouTube channel, so I would be at a disadvantage if they knew my deck list.

    However, older versions of my Scrap Worms deck are featured in deck videos on my channel.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.