Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Hopes for the September 2011 Ban List

I might as well, since everyone else is sharing their opinions.

Now, be warned, this isn't a comprehensive list. This is just going to be some of my hopes for what Konami will do with the next ban list.

EDIT: I added Mind Control to Forbidden and provided an explanation for it.

Forbidden:

Dandylion
Fishborg Blaster
Gorz the Emissary of Darkness
Morphing Jar
Mind Master
Superancient Deepsea King Coelacanth
T.G. Hyper Librarian
Card Destruction
Future Fusion
Gateway of the Six
Giant Trunade
Limiter Removal
Mind Control
Monster Reborn
Royal Tribute

Limited:

Archlord Kristya
Grapha, Dragon God of Dark World
Judgment Dragon
Lonefire Blossom
Rescue Rabbit
Treeborn Frog
XX-Saber Faultroll
Formula Synchron
Legendary Six Samurai - Shi En
Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier
Heavy Storm
Mystical Space Typhoon
Pot of Avarice
Shien's Smoke Signal
Double-Edged Sword Technique
Solemn Warning

Semi-Limited:

Reborn Tengu
Dewloren, Tiger Prince of the Ice Barrier

Nothing for Unlimited

Okay, so I might as well explain the choices that need explaining. So, for the cards I want banned:

Fishborg Blaster and Coelacanth have been abused by so many combos. They just really need to go.

Morphing Jar and Card Destruction are to hit Dark Worlds. They're basically hand destruction cards that let the Dark World player plus a mess load off of their discard effects. Cards shouldn't have that much power.

Gorz promotes bad play more than skillful play. Besides, there are plenty of other cards that work to stop reckless OTK's.

Mind Control basically says "Take one of your opponent's Monsters, use its effect to ravage them, then use it as a Synchro/Xyz Material." I wouldn't mind so much if it was only limited to face-up Monsters, but it's not. I mean, I've gotten a huge plus stealing a Set Super-Nimble Mega Hamster to Special Summon my own Ryko and Synchro for Scrap Dragon. That was pretty game-breaking. Not that this is very relevant, but Flip Effect Monsters are weak enough as it is.

You shouldn't be rewarded a win just because you opened with Future Fusion, Gateway, Royal Tribute, or Limiter Removal.

And for the cards I want Limited:

Grapha is a huge beater that is a plus-1 just for summoning it. It basically turns all of your Dark World wienies into 2700 ATK floaters...

The limit on Judgment Dragon and XX-Saber Faultroll is long overdue.

Treeborn Frog shouldn't have left the Limited list. Its main weakness is that if it's banished, it's gone for good. However, in combination with Swap Frog, you can just dump another one and continue on. Really, if it weren't for Swap Frog, I'd be fine with Treeborn Frog at three. Maybe I should call for the limit of Swap Frog instead...

The cards I want Semi-Limited, as well as the rest of the cards that I didn't bother explaining should be pretty self-explanatory. Everyone else has already explained many of my choices for me, so yeah... If you have any questions and such, feel free to leave them in the comments.

I will speak a little bit on the whole Heavy Storm thing, though. I'm on the side that believes that people shouldn't just be setting their entire hand to the back row. After playing without Heavy Storm for so long, it feels as though I've lost the ability to determine which and how many cards I could safely Set to the back row. We don't really have to think about it at all anymore; I can just Set all of my Quick-Play Spells, Traps, and even some bluffed Normal Spells to the back row and not care.

Others might say that it takes skill to be able to read your opponent's back rows and be able to play around them. But really, if all of their four/five back rows are live Traps, it wastes a lot of your cards and LP to just try and push through them. Your only effective answers are Giant Trunade or copying your opponent.

Personally, I find it more challenging to try and see what my opponent would do next turn, and Set back rows accordingly. That's why I want Heavy Storm back.

There is one thing that caught my eye, though. Someone on Pojo had the idea of bringing back Heavy Storm, but banning Mystical Space Typhoon. His argument was that MST is basically another Heavy Storm if you haven't already played your Heavy Storm, since people will only Set one card. So, with MST banned, you would be forced to play inferior alternatives like Dust Tornado and Nobleman of Crossout. I can't say that I disagree. I would actually be pleasantly surprised if Konami actually did that...

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you absolutely RAPED Dark World in this list :S They've only just been released, but you've hit ALL of their good cards... I'm amazed you didn't suggest limiting Snow because it's like ROTA ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is wishes list right?
    i'm pretty sure konami will never put so many cards on one list. or is this just some cards to put? reply on that please
    oh yeah clearly thought out and i have to disagree with coelacanth, gorz, morphing jar,dandylion, trunade, mind control, grapha , jd, rabbit thing.....hello if your paying attention to ocg meta who's using this?, faultroll, formula synchron, mst who knows?, pot of avarice? who knows?, tengu hell no were you even playing during dad return?, d draw to 3 and e tele to 2 that's the list i think will happen with a bit lesss changes

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.