Sunday, July 17, 2011

Tournament Report 7/17/11

Luckily, I was able to go to locals today. I wasn't able to go last weekend, and I won't be able to go next weekend. How sad. Anyways, I took my Scrap Worms deck, which I modified for the advent of T.G. Hyper Librarian. Basically, I just crammed three D.D. Crows into the Side Deck to go with the three Effect Veilers that were split between the Main and Side Decks.

Before the tournament started, I talked to my Round 4 opponent from this tournament. I helped him a little bit with his Side Deck, recommending Chaos Trap Holes, since he doesn't have Solemn Warning.

A lot of the better players were at Nationals, but there were still plenty of decent/good players there. No Junk Doppel or Tengu Plants, surprisingly, but there was Fish FTK.

Round 1: vs Karakuri

-Duel 1: I locked his swarms down and killed him with Scrap Dragon after he wasted most of his cards.
-Duel 2: Pushed a little bit of damage through for a while, then I let him swarm. With that, I used Cyber Dragon to fuse for Chimeratech Fortress Dragon (using his Burei and Bureido) and dropped Scrap Chimera to revive Scrap Beast and take out the rest of his LP.

Round 2: vs Fish FTK

I knew that this guy was playing Fish FTK, and I knew that he wasn't very good at it, so I played accordingly from the beginning.

-Duel 1: He went first, went through two Upstart Goblin and two Moray of Greed, but still didn't have the FTK. I summoned Worm Xex to push through some damage. He Set a random Monster to defend himself, and I summoned Scrap Beast to go into Scrap Dragon and run through it. But then, he used Giant Trunade and successfully pulled off the Trishula loop. So, I lost.
-Duel 2: I opened with a Maxx "C" in my starting hand, which made me feel at least a little safer if he were to pull off his combo. Either way, I made the Worm Xex play and Set my Spells/Traps to my back row. He used Gold Sarcophagus for Giant Trunade and Set Treeborn Frog. I summoned Scrap Beast and flipped Worm Yagan, tuning them together for Avenging Knight Parshath. It pierced the Frog for 2500 damage, then Worm Xex attacked directly. He revived the Frog on his turn and Set Oystermeister. I flipped a bluff Scrapyard to search a Scrap Beast and summon it to Synchro for Scrap Dragon. I destroyed the Oystermeister with its effect, and switched the Token it made to Attack Position. Scrap Dragon could run through it and Parshath could pierce the Treeborn Frog for game. Avenging Knight Parshath really puts in work.
-Duel 3: He went first, using Foolish Burial to dump Coelacanth. He summoned Oystermeister and activated Monster Reborn. I was lucky enough to have opened with a D.D. Crow to remove Coelacanth, and he didn't have the D.D.R. So, he used Hand Destruction to throw away the rest of his hand in an attempt to draw it. That failed, and even if he did draw it, he wouldn't have had enough cards in his hand to use Coelacanth's effect. So, I just cleaned up what was left with the usual Scrap shenanigans.

Round 3: vs Twilight

I was up against vadangchoinga. He was kind of upset, since he expected to lose to me, but he's playing Lightsworn, so anything could happen.

-Duel 1: He opened with two Judgment Dragons and milled two Wulfs over the course of the duel. I did not draw any Solemn Warnings, Effect Veilers, Scrap Chimeras, or Scrapstorms, so it was an uphill battle that I wasn't able to win. I was able to bluff like I had protection, but it doesn't matter when you're able to push through it with Judgment Dragons.
-Duel 2: Again, I didn't draw anything at all to stop his Lightsworn plays. And, to top it off, when he already had enough damage for game with Chaos Sorcerer on the field, he topped Dark Armed Dragon with three Darks in his Graveyard. Yeah...

Round 4: vs Newbie Naturia

I was playing against a little kid, which was kind of sad. I won 2-0, of course...

Round 5: vs Six Samurai

This was my Round 5 opponent from this tournament. He didn't want to play against me, expecting to lose, so he gave me the win. Yay, I guess.

So yeah, I had a 4-1 record and got a Hobby League Parallel Rare Dark Dust Spirit. For some reason, I had no Dark Dust Spirits before, so I decided to just go and get one. The Turbo Pack 5 I got for entering was bad. The Rare was Zoma the Spirit, which I already have a holo play-set of...

Anyways, vadangchoinga ended up winning the box of Extreme Victory, but I don't think he pulled anything good. Kind of sad. It ended up being the opposite for me, though. While he was lucky in his duels, I was lucky with my pulls; I bought eight packs of The Shining Darkness at a good price in an attempt to pull Batteryman AAA. I only had two of those for some reason, and I was fortunate enough to pull a third one. I also got a Core Overclock, Bird of Roses, Infernity Mirage, Synchro Ejection, an Ultra Rare Chaos King Archfiend, and an Ultimate Rare XX-Saber Darksoul!

So, when XX-Saber Emmersblade is reprinted in the Hidden Arsenal Special Edition, I'll be able to make my own X-Saber deck. Also, I was able to get the Xyz Starter Decks, so I'll be able to start using Xyz Monsters next week.

By the way, Aki and I should be making more videos tomorrow, but there won't be any new duel videos until next Monday, since I'll be busy all week, which is why I can't go to locals next weekend. There will be STORM Monday videos, though. So yeah.

2 comments:

  1. Do you plan to use Wisel in Scraps? I noticed that Scraps really wreck Samurai a lot so I'm not surprised if your opponent gave u the win. Scrap Dragon > Shi En

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kamitsure

    No, Meklord Emperors are dead draws. Besides, if you did have the ability to summon one, you're probably already winning.

    Scraps can't drop Scrap Dragon as quickly and consistently as Six Samurai drop Shi En. Besides, Shi En isn't the problem; multiple Shi Ens and Trishula are, which are basically facilitated by Six Samurai United and Double-Edged Sword Technique.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.