Sunday, April 10, 2011

YCS Anaheim Report - Day 2

I went back today, this time planning to do the team event with Aki and vadangchoinga. Unfortunately, vadangchoinga couldn't make it today, and Aki and I couldn't find anyone else to be the third person in our team.

So, we just ended up entering the first Win-a-Mat event of the day.

Round 1: vs Black Garden Burn

-Duel 1: My opponent opened with Pot of Duality, getting Terraforming to search Black Garden. He then Set some other cards. I drew out all of his Dark Bribes, then pushed through with Scraps backed by Solemn Judgment. His Black Garden helped me quite a bit by putting Attack Position Rose Tokens on his side of the field. I Summoned twice to put two Tokens on his field, then Flip Summoned Naturia Barkion (Book of Moon reset its ATK) and Worm Xex (it was Set from earlier). I attacked over the two Tokens and dropped Forbidden Chalice for game.
-Duel 2: Skill Drain locked down my plays, and I waited until his back row got thinner to push for game. I Synchro Summoned Brionac, trying to bounce his Black Garden and Skill Drain. He had no response, and I Chained Book of Moon to let Brionac's effect go through. Then I Tribute Summoned for Scrap Golem to Synchro Summon Scrap Twin Dragon and went for game.

Round 2: vs Six Samurai

Aki had just lost to this guy in the previous round. How sad.

-Duel 1: He had to make sub-par plays against my Worm set-up, and I capitalized on it with Scraps and such.
-Duel 2: I drew no Tuners and lost.
-Duel 3: This duel was really close. In the end, it was my 500 LP to his 400 LP, and I was controlling the field with a Scrap Archfiend and a Scrap Goblin. I ran over his Shi En over two turns (he had protection with Grandmaster on the field), then Monster Reborned it. It turns out that he had a D.D. Crow, so if I were to have tried to revive my Scrap Dragon, I would have been in a worse position. I don't think that it mattered that much, though. I won on the next turn.

Round 3: vs X-Sabers

This guy was pretty cool, and we agreed to a split. Basically, he would sell the play mat and we would split the money.

-Duel 1: I don't remember exactly, but he threatened my hand with XX-Saber Gottoms, forcing me to Set all of my Spells/Traps. Then he used a Trap Stun/Hyunlei play to destroy my back row. I tried to turn the game around with Scrap Chimera, but he flipped Solemn Warning.
-Duel 2: I was just poking him with Scrap Beast for the majority of the duel. He didn't have any defensive Traps, and tried to Set Emmersblade as a last defense. I summoned Banisher of the Radiance and went for game.
-Duel 3: I countered his XX-Saber Boggart Knight twice with Solemn Warning and Effect Veiler. He didn't play any back rows, so I was playing aggressively. Unfortunately, I didn't have any back rows either, so he swarmed with Boggart Knight, Airbellum, and two Faultrolls. He had a Darksoul in the Graveyard, so he could Synchro Summon Brionac and bounce my Monsters.

Either way, I got $30, which paid for the entry fee and a little more.

I went around and bought some stuff, including some of those new Duelist Pack Tins. I pulled an Ultimate Rare Thunder Unicorn, if that means anything. I just bought the tins for the promos, so I didn't mind.

After that, Aki and I joined another Win-a-Mat.

Round 1: vs Doppel Plants

-Duel 1: I read Dimensional Prison, so I dropped Thought Ruler Archfiend. I attacked over the wienies that he was unfortunate enough to keep drawing into (Glow-Up Bulb, Spore, etc.). Afterwards, I summoned Scrap Beast and attacked, and he did indeed have the Dimensional Prison. It didn't matter, since I flipped Scrapstorm. He made a Scrap Dragon play on the next turn, and I reversed it with my own to win.
-Duel 2: He opened with an early Scrap Dragon that I couldn't effectively deal with. I was down to two cards, Scrap Goblin and Worm Xex, and 2400 LP. I drew Scapegoat and Set it and the Goblin. He opted to destroy my back row, which I flipped. Then he declined to attack, hoping to clog my field, I suppose. I Flip Summoned Scrap Goblin and Synchro Summoned Naturia Barkion. I then Normal Summoned Scrap Beast and Synchro Summoned Ally of Justice Catastor. I ripped through his field, leaving his Call of the Haunted useless.

Round 2: vs Lightsworn

Again, Aki lost in the first round to my Round 2 opponent. How sad.

-Duel 1: His starting hand consisted of three Wulfs, one of which he pitched for Solar Recharge. He then Set a back row and a Monster, then revived the Wulf with Monster Reborn. I Special Summoned Cyber Dragon and Normal Summoned Scrap Beast, going for Scrap Twin Dragon. I had to decide between tossing my Scrapyard or Scrapstorm to feed the Dragon's effect, and I had a feeling that he had Honest. I destroyed Scrapyard to bounce his Set cards, then attacked into Honest. I revived Scrap Beast and Set Scrapstorm and a Trap. He used Mystical Space Typhoon on the Scrapstorm, which I Chained to get Chimera to my hand. I was able to win the game from there with that Scrap Chimera and one I drew later on.
-Duel 2: He started with a Thunder King Rai-Oh and a Set back row after using Charge of the Light Brigade and Solar Recharge. I attempted to Special Summoned Cyber Dragon, and he let it go. I read Honest, of course, and used Mind Control to avoid that possibility. He used Book of Moon when I attacked with Cyber Dragon, and I summoned Effect Veiler to Synchro Summon Catastor with his Rai-Oh. I then Set Solemn Warning. He passed turn without a play, and I Monster Reborned the Cyber Dragon that he milled previously. I Flip Summoned my Cyber Dragon, then attacked with his Cyber Dragon. He dropped Gorz, and I killed the Kaien Token with Catastor. He tried to drop Honest, but I reminded him of Catastor's effect. I then fused all of my Machines for Chimeratech Fortress Dragon. He switched his Gorz to Defense Position, and I ran it over on my next turn. After a while, he destroyed my Chimeratech Fortress Dragon (either with Ryko or Dark Hole, I don't remember). He then summoned Ehren to attack directly, and I crashed my Scrap Beast into it. He Set a Monster, and my Cyber Dragon ran it over. He used Monster Reborn to revive his Cyber Dragon and fuse it with mine, but I destroyed the Chimeratech Fortress Dragon with Dark Hole on my turn. I then continued to push with Banisher of the Radiance. It died to a Ryko, and I drew into Scrap Chimera to take control of the duel and win.

Round 3: vs Six Samurai

This guy was feeling pretty confident, since he had just Top 32'd the main event. Of course, the fact that he was here at a side event meant that he lost in the Top 32. Not trying to be mean, just pointing out the facts... By the way, I offered him a split, and he declined.

-Duel 1: I started with a Set Worm Yagan and some back rows. He summoned Kagemusha and Kizan, then attacked with Kagemusha, expecting Scrap Goblin. He took 1400 damage and the Kagemusha back to his hand. He then Set some back rows and ended. I summoned Worm Xex and sent the second Worm Yagan to the Graveyard. I attempted to attack Kizan, but he flipped Dimensional Prison. He then summoned Kagemusha and went for Barkion, which I Warned. He flipped Double-Edged Sword Technique and went for Brionac, attacking my spent Worm Yagan. I drew and my hand consisted of two Scrap Chimeras and a Scrap Beast. I summoned the Scrap Beast and attacked to get it into the Graveyard. He attacked directly, and ended with the Brionac and two back rows. I destiny drew into Giant Trunade, which cleared the field for the first Scrap Chimera, allowing me to Synchro Summon Scrap Dragon and attack Brionac. He Special Summoned Enishi and destroyed Scrap Dragon with its effect, netting me Scrap Chimera. Then he re-Set his back rows. I drew Solemn Judgment and Set it. He destroyed Chimera with Enishi's effect, then summoned Kagemusha to Synchro Summon Stardust Dragon and attack directly. I summoned Scrap Chimera and he flipped Solemn Warning, which I negated with Solemn Judgment. At that point, there was nothing he could do.
-Duel 2: I don't remember exactly what happened, but I won again, using a Solemn Judgment-protected Scrap Chimera play similar to the one in the previous duel.

So I won another play mat, which was cool. After that, Aki and I saw Satoshi Kato. He was playing in a Regional flight, so we waited for him to finish, and Aki went up to talk to him. I don't know whether or not he remembered us, but he spoke as if he did. That may just be in response to Aki saying the equivalent of "long time no see" in Japanese.

Anyway, we offered him the play mat, and he traded me an Ally Genex Triforce, three Masked Hero Vapor, three Mask Change, a Vision Hero Adoration, a Maxx "C", and $40 for it. It was really convenient that he had the Masked Hero stuff, since Aki wasn't able to get Premium Pack 13. Now we can use them in videos! Don't expect to see them anytime soon, though, since Aki is going to be busy next weekend.

So yeah. I went and bought another Maxx "C" for a great price, since I wanted to have two. I also got an Ultra Rare Odin for $5. Sometime over the course of the two days, I was able to trade away a bunch of the garbage in my binder for a couple of Forbidden Lances (not that I'm planning on using them), an Arcanite Magician (in anticipation of Tech Genus Hyper Librarian), and a bunch of other stuff that I can't remember.

So, overall the YCS was pretty good for me. I was really disappointed that I scrubbed out of the main event, but winning the equivalent of two play mats was really cool. I also got a bunch of stuff that I need for both a Nordic deck (still haven't decided what variant) and a Junk Doppel deck (also have not decided).

It's going to be weird, since I was there, but I plan to analyze the Top 32 as usual when the deck lists are posted.

4 comments:

  1. :o
    Wish I could have seen Satoshi Kato...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really thought you would do well in the main event of this YCS, I had good vibes. I guess they are tough eh? Seems you won just about everything else though, but its not as exciting as the main event.

    Since you mentioned it and have in the past, we really should have a talk about why Forbidden Lance is awesome. Use the ones you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kamatari

    It didn't seem that bad, it's just that I drew really terribly the first two rounds. It's not like I lost because of misplays or something. Well, it happens, so yeah.

    I don't think that Forbidden Lance is awesome. I think that it's been hyped up, since it is a fairly good card, but it's not nearly as good as people think it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldnt say its the be all and end all, I just think its a very good card. You mention them a few times, I reckon you should just try them instead of just thinking about it.

    They are actually a lot less effective now Book of Moon is at 1. But still good.

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.