Sunday, April 10, 2011

YCS Anaheim Report - Day 1

So, the day that I was waiting for arrived. I was somehow able to pick up three Closed Forests in the span of two days, so I was happy with that.

At the venue, I met up with vadangchoinga, then with Katana, Sick Penguin, and some of their friends. I lent all of them some Side Deck cards, and stuff. Nothing really important yet.

So, onto the report for the main event:

Round 1: vs Anti-Meta

I thought that my opponent looked familiar, and when I saw his name on the match slip, it clicked. It was dcarlos from YouTube. He seemed pretty cool, but he played very seriously.

-Duel 1: I cringed at the fact that I drew Scrap Golem in my starting hand with no way to effectively get it to the field. I risked the Tribute Summon, and got met with a Royal Oppression. Mystical Space Typhoon dealt with that, but I ended up losing my Synchros to a Neo-Spacian Grand Mole which I had absolutely no outs to.
-Duel 2: I drew all-Monsters and lost to the same Neo-Spacian Grand Mole...

Round 2: vs Dragunities

-Duel 1: He started with a Dragon Ravine, of course, but I had Effect Veiler to cut off Dux' effect. Even after I destroyed the Ravine, he drew into multiple Dux and Legionnaires, and I couldn't deal with all of them.
-Duel 2: I destroyed all of his Ravines with Ryko, Dust Tornado, and Scrap Dragon. Then, I drew the one Closed Forest that I sided in... It was fine, though, since he had already lost control of the game, and was desperately holding on with the Traps he had left. I had to wait out his Royal Oppression, but I was able to go for game with Scrap Chimera after drawing the Mystical Space Typhoon.
-Duel 3: He opened with a Stardust Dragon and some back rows. I opened with five Monsters and Crevice Into the Different Dimension, so I Set a Scrap Beast. He attacked over it, and I risked going with Worm Xex, which got Bottomless Trap Holed. He Synchro Summoned another Stardust Dragon with Dux after Trap Stunning my Crevice. When I tried to push with Scrap Chimera, he flipped Oppression, and I couldn't do anything against it.

Round 3: vs Frog Monarchs

-Duel 1: I opened up really well, and he didn't even draw Battle Faders or Gorz. I mowed him down with Naturia Beast and some other Monster.
-Duel 2: I opened up even better than last time, and he misplayed with his Gorz, allowing me to win one turn earlier.

Round 4: vs Junk Doppel

-Duel 1: He opened really badly, so I just swarmed him with Scraps.
-Duel 2: He was able to draw much better than before, and was able to win somehow.
-Duel 3: I was able to win somehow. It's midnight, I'm tired, forgive me if I forget the details.

At that point, Katana, Sick Penguin, and one of their friends decided to drop (they were all X-2) and join a Win-a-Mat. I dropped to join them. Since Win-a-Mats are 8-person flights, we basically controlled half of the event. What's more is that none of us were paired up against each other.

Round 1: vs Six Samurai

This guy was really cool, and I feel bad for how well I drew.

-Duel 1: I opened double Worm Xex, which is great in this match-up. I forced him to make sub-optimal plays, then went for game with Scrap Chimera.
-Duel 2: I ended up drawing into all three Scrap Chimeras, which made forcing into top-decking mode a win condition. I was even able to destroy the Scrap Dragons that I summoned themselves with their effects because I had so many extra cards.

Round 2: vs Six Samurai

This was my Round 3 opponent from this tournament.

-Duel 1: I kept control with Scraps, and was able to win.
-Duel 2: He locked me down with Royal Oppression, and when I drew and out to it, it was already too late.
-Duel 3: I had a Scrap Chimera backed by a Solemn Judgment. So, I baited out his back rows until there was only one left. That cost me most of my LP, unfortunately, but the Solemn Judgment was put to good use when I negated the last card in his back row: Royal Oppression. Scrap Dragon was able to take command of the duel from there.

Round 3: vs Doppel Plants

Sick Penguin was able to make it through the previous two rounds (okay, his opponent didn't show up for Round 1, but still) and was my opponent in the finals. Of course, we agreed to split the mat, however that works.

-Duel 1: I kept control with Worms, then was able to push for damage with Scraps when it was safe. I forget exactly how I won, though.
-Duel 2: After I was getting beat down with a Frozen Fitzgerald, I got rid of it with Scrap Twin Dragon. However, Sick Penguin dropped Dark Hole, then Monster Reborned my Scrap Twin Dragon. He used Pot of Avarice then, hoping to draw a Monster that he could Special Summon to finish me off with. Sure enough, he drew Quickdraw Synchron and a Junk Synchron to toss with its effect.
-Duel 3: I opened really aggressively, pushing with Scrap Twin Dragon for a direct attack. He Set just one Monster, so I couldn't bounce it. I summoned Scrap Chimera, going for Scrap Dragon to destroy that Monster. It was a Dandylion, but I bounced the tokens with Scrap Twin Dragon to clear the path and go for game.

So I won one of the Win-a-Mat events, getting an Akiza play mat. Fortunately, we ran into someone who was winning to trade $100 worth in cards for it, allowing Sick Penguin and I to effectively split the mat. I got a Glow-Up Bulb, Snyffus, and three Super-Nimble Mega Hamsters. Sick Penguin got a Rare Effect Veiler, a Super Rare Solemn Judgment, and a HA03 Naturia Barkion. I ended up getting more than half of the trade, so I made up for it by trading an Ultra Rare Scrap Dragon to Sick Penguin for the Barkion that he got.

After that, I met up with vadangchoinga again, and he was waiting to duel with dubkdad1 of YouTube. I recorded the match, then had vadangchoinga record two matches between dubkdad1 and myself. Those videos will probably go up later this week.

I'm going back tomorrow, this time with Aki. We're planning to participate in the 3 vs 3 team event, but I'm not sure exactly who the third person would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.