Monday, April 4, 2011

The Path to the YCS

As most of you should already know, YCS Anaheim is this weekend, and I'm going to be going.

I'm fairly confident in my Scrap Worms deck, and it has been doing really well against Six Samurai, X-Sabers, and basically everything else. The only shaky match-up is Gravekeeper's...

The pluses that I can accumulate against other Stun decks through Scrap Chimera and Scrapstorm are shut off with Necrovalley, which the Gravekeeper player can expect to have practically 100% of the time. It's worse than Skill Drain, because it gives their Monsters huge stat boosts, making them nearly impossible to destroy in battle.

And looking through my deck, I only have 6 outs to Necrovalley, which worries me even more. But, I don't want to do something silly like Main Deck triple Dust Tornado. That leads to dead draws against Six Samurai, Fish OTK, and... I can't think of anything else. Seeing how those match-ups are actually fairly easy for me, maybe I should consider Main Decking triple Dust Tornado...

It would alleviate my fear of Necrovalley, while also helping against other match-ups, like Hero Beat and Dragunities. The only problem would be deciding what to take out. I'd probably just Main Deck two and keep one in the Side Deck. Or, I could just Main Deck two Dust Tornadoes and Side Deck two Malevolent Catastrophes. Seems like a good idea.

So, I guess that's what I'll try. There may be more of this type of post throughout the week, because I'm really going to try and do well at the YCS. This type of tournament doesn't come around that much, and this format is a great one for me to go with a creative deck.

6 comments:

  1. Have you tried Closed Forest, it can help you against Gravekeepers and Dragunities while giving your Chimeras and Beasts attack boosts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gravekeeper's were played in number at charlotte, but I don't think maining dust tornado's is the answer if you already have double mst. Double mst works well when deck thinning comes into play which is usually the job of pot of duality.

    Side decking dust tornado's and nobleman of crossout is a must but it would be more helpful maining 7 tools or a trap stun for a majority of matchups this way you can hurt your opponent when you choose especially with backrows so important this format. Gravekeeper's themselves have huge backrow reliance. However they do not win alone because of necrovalley and while they play to get it on the field quickly a successfuly strategy is to take out their monsters.
    Other good cards include shadow imprisoning mirror and thunderking. A early thunderking may even slow down necrovalley hitting the field.

    Then again scraps have not yet topped maybe i'm wrong and getting necrovalley off the field asp is more important. In that case why not run closed forest it's proven to work and you even have beasts!

    Goodluck! Take yourself all the way to the top!

    ReplyDelete
  3. try this cards against GK: http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Closed_Forest

    ReplyDelete
  4. try wild tornado?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Lauren and HSE

    I already looked at Closed Forest, and it didn't seem like it would do enough unless I used multiples. And by multiples, I mean three. I don't think that I really want to take it that far, especially with how much they cost.

    @Anon #1

    Well, Trap Stun and Seven Tools can be helpful, but they don't shut off Necrovalley. That's the main thing that I need to happen to pull off my Scrap plays. I could care less about what's in their back row, as long as I can get Necrovalley off of the field.

    I'm also not going to side Shadow-Imprisoning Mirror for one match-up. It's not worth it. And, instead of Rai-Oh, I use Banisher of the Radiance. It fulfills the same purpose while also removing all of their Gravekeeper's from play.

    @Anon #2

    I'd rather use Dust Tornado, since it's more versatile and such. And, I don't always Synchro Summon Scrap Dragon. Sometimes I don't Synchro Summon at all, so I don't want to use cards that only help when I'm winning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. GOOD LUCK LIGHTGRUNTY! hoping to see Scrap Worms hit number 1 instead of Six Samurais! its about time some one kicked them off their pedistal(sp? xD) >xO YOU CAN DOOOO IIITTTT

    ReplyDelete

Comment moderation has been enabled. Your comments will not appear until they are approved. Also, if you are waiting for a reply, don't forget to subscribe to this post.